Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Other Providers Asking Questions...

Long story short..A friend on FB sent me a message asking my rates,hours, and what I provided. Also, asked if I was on a food program. I did a double take as this mom is a SAHM and never seeks outside care from others. Then it dawned on me that she was asking for her sister who is opening a family dc in a town close by.

I was a bit ticked that she asked. My response back was to ask her who she was asking for. Well, needless to say she didn't respond. I don't have a problem telling her the info but, was ticked her sister didn't ask. It to me felt sneaky in a way. All my info is available on my website. I did all the leg work for my daycare I guess I feel like this one should too. I also have a family that looked at her daycare first and now are coming here. I am sure she knows as this is a very small area and word spreads like wild fire.

What do you do when this happens to you? I thought about telling her to tell her sister to call a local agency that will give the average for your area. But, didn't.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'd just tell her that you'd be happy to talk to her sister if her sister calls you. You'd love to have another provider to network with and share referrals. It IS handy to have a few provider friends in your area.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM

It's actually against the law in the US for providers in the same area to discuss rates with each other. Maybe that's why she had her sister call? Tom Copeland has written about this here: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...are-rates.html

She should have just told you she was asking for her sister. I hate it when people don't just come out and tell me why they're asking.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

I don't mind when people ask my rates or for tips at all, especially when it's another provider in the area, I just want them to be honest about WHY they are asking.

I would do what PP said, and tell her to have her sister contact you.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I agree! I am friends with two other providers in the town next to us and of course our provider we used to use. I flat out asked those providers their rates and for recommendations for the food program. They were very willing to give me the information. I would be too if people were honest about it.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Family Childcare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAngels View Post
It's actually against the law in the US for providers in the same area to discuss rates with each other. Maybe that's why she had her sister call? Tom Copeland has written about this here: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...are-rates.html

She should have just told you she was asking for her sister. I hate it when people don't just come out and tell me why they're asking.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I can see why it's prohibited but if someone tells someone else their business info I can't imagine anyone else caring but the person who tells others. They're the ones sharing their business info not sneakily getting it. I would think the sneaky roundabout way of having someone else ask for business purposes should be illegal!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I have never heard that either..Wow!

I haven't had a response from her as to why she was asking. It does bother me that they would be so sneaky.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:29 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I remember from Tom's teaching years ago that he cautions against it. It's technically price-fixing. The funny thing is, banks rate shop ALL THE TIME. It used to be my job to call the other banks and check their CD rates. I wonder if that' illegal.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAngels View Post
Wow! That is crazy! I personally would not mind sharing information and ideas with another provider (after all don't we do that everyday on here ) but apparently I won't be discussing rates with anyone!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanna View Post
Wow! That is crazy! I personally would not mind sharing information and ideas with another provider (after all don't we do that everyday on here ) but apparently I won't be discussing rates with anyone!
We can discuss rates here since we're not in direct competition with each other . I think it's a stupid law, but since it is a law I rely on my local CCRRN and their "average" rates to try to stay competitive with mine.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Provider in Training

Honestly, I think price-fixing in this field shouldn't be illegal- I think there should be a minimum at least (full time/part time) to how low you can go if you are licensed, because there are people who start this business who have not interest in it because they think it's an easy way to make money and to get more clients they undercut the competition, making them go out of business because with low enrollment or if they have to lower their prices they can't afford to stay open.

IK BC says "other providers in your community aren't competition, we are all part of a team" but that's also because she is probably one of the more preferred providers in her area due to being well established and doesn't see other providers in her area as a threat. In my current city, I wouldn't open a home daycare because there is a low population (about 36,000) and way too many daycare centers/homes (AKA competition) as well as Head Start, Go Kids, Co-Ops, and lots of work or stay-at-home moms who also nanny/babysit. Many homes and centers around her are closing due to low enrollment.

Tags
competition, rates, tom copeland