Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Vehicle Tax Question
WImom 12:16 PM 12-28-2011
If I don't transport but use my vehicle for daycare groceries, supplies, bank trips, etc. what can I claim? Gas, insurance, payment interest? Any or all of that?
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
If I don't transport but use my vehicle for daycare groceries, supplies, bank trips, etc. what can I claim? Gas, insurance, payment interest? Any or all of that?
I am sure Tom will correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure, you can ONLY claim mileage for daycare related trips only. No insurance, gas costs or payment interest...strictly mileage for trips that are necessary for daycare such as getting daycare supplies, food or bank trips to cash/deposit DC payment. .
Michael 04:10 PM 12-28-2011
More mileage deduction threads here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ction+-+milage
TomCopeland 04:20 PM 12-28-2011
Originally Posted by WImom:
You don't have to be transporting children to be able to claim expenses for your vehicle. Any trip you take in which the "primary" purpose is business counts as a business trip. This includes trips to grocery stories, department stores, banks, etc.
You can either use the standard mileage rate or the actual expenses method to claim expenses. The actual expenses method allows you to claim the business portion of gas, insurance, oil, repairs, car loan interest, depreciation, etc. The standard mileage rate is $.51 for Jan-June and $.555 for July- Dec. plus you can claim the business portion of car loan interest, car property tax, and parking expenses.
KEG123 10:36 AM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You don't have to be transporting children to be able to claim expenses for your vehicle. Any trip you take in which the "primary" purpose is business counts as a business trip. This includes trips to grocery stories, department stores, banks, etc.
You can either use the standard mileage rate or the actual expenses method to claim expenses. The actual expenses method allows you to claim the business portion of gas, insurance, oil, repairs, car loan interest, depreciation, etc. The standard mileage rate is $.51 for Jan-June and $.555 for July- Dec. plus you can claim the business portion of car loan interest, car property tax, and parking expenses.
Say i do all my shopping (daycare and family) 1x a week, and say its 4 miles round trip, could i claim 2 miles as business?
TomCopeland 11:57 AM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Say i do all my shopping (daycare and family) 1x a week, and say its 4 miles round trip, could i claim 2 miles as business?
No. You can't claim part of a trip. Instead, claim 4 miles for one trip every other week.
TomCopeland 12:33 PM 12-29-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
No. You can't claim part of a trip. Instead, claim 4 miles for one trip every other week.
KEG123 05:47 AM 12-30-2011
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Thank you Tom!
care-care 11:44 AM 01-09-2012
every week i go to the grocery store and buy food etc. but becuz i dont use my reciepts and take the write off per meal amount i throw them away.. so then I cant claim for trips to store in mileage then??/
TomCopeland 05:20 PM 01-10-2012
Originally Posted by care-care:
every week i go to the grocery store and buy food etc. but becuz i dont use my reciepts and take the write off per meal amount i throw them away.. so then I cant claim for trips to store in mileage then??/
No. You can claim mileage for these trips. You need an "adequate" record to show you were at the grocery store. This could be a receipt, but it could also be a cancelled check, credit card statement, or notation on a calendar. Don't give up simply because you don't have the receipt.
care-care 08:01 AM 01-15-2012
So If I go through my bank statments and Note my trips to the grocery store I can use that ? He eats everything we eat. I shop for everything together but I wasnt saving reciepts becuz i take the standard meal allowance. So would I be able to deduct the milage to the store say like every other like my bank deposit trips?
TomCopeland 07:32 AM 01-16-2012
Yes, your check register or bank statements can be used as an "adequate" record to show you made trips to grocery stores. Yes, claim every other trip is a reasonable way to claim such trips.
Tags:deduction - milage, time space percentage
Reply Up