Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Updating Some Policies
daycare 04:23 PM 01-07-2014
Is this fair??

I have several kids that the parents have started working on PT at home and would like for me to follow up here with it at DC.

I don't mind helping PT at all, but I am so sick and tired of kids being sent into childcare and clothing that not only can I remove, can they.

Today I had on little girl in overhauls
one in skinny jeans
one in a dress and tights
one boy in a onesie.

I do have a great list of PT do and don'ts, but the parents still don't follow them.
So I was thinking about adding this.

Children who do not come dressed ready to potty train for the day will not participate in PTing at DC for that day.
any advise for better wording?
Blackcat31 04:30 PM 01-07-2014
I would just refuse to work on PT'ing any days the kid comes "unprepared" for the day.

At pick, tell parent sorry but you didn't work on PT'ing today because child was prepared.

They either get it and start dressing them or you're off the hook from having to work on PT'ing.
daycare 04:35 PM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would just refuse to work on PT'ing any days the kid comes "unprepared" for the day.

At pick, tell parent sorry but you didn't work on PT'ing today because child was prepared.

They either get it and start dressing them or you're off the hook from having to work on PT'ing.
ok so did I word it that it makes sense?

Thanks BC...... send some snow this way. My child is dying to see snow, but we don't snow that is within driving distance to take him to.....lol
Leigh 04:38 PM 01-07-2014

I state in my handbook that children need to have elastic waist clothing that they can remove themselves. If they don't, then don't work on PT. You shouldn't have to address it with them again...if you have given them the guidelines, it's up to them whether they choose to follow them. If they choose not to, just don't work on PT.
daycare 04:42 PM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I state in my handbook that children need to have elastic waist clothing that they can remove themselves. If they don't, then don't work on PT. You shouldn't have to address it with them again...if you have given them the guidelines, it's up to them whether they choose to follow them. If they choose not to, just don't work on PT.
I hear ya. I think what sucks is that PTing takes the consistency in order to master it, so when parents do this, it slows down the process. It is not my fault, but trust me when I tell you that I would much rather have them done then keep on interrupting it.

it's like a double edge sword, because at the same time, if they are not dressed appropriately then it makes it next to impossible to help train them.
Blackcat31 04:46 PM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
ok so did I word it that it makes sense?

Thanks BC...... send some snow this way. My child is dying to see snow, but we don't snow that is within driving distance to take him to.....lol
I'd say something like

Dear DCP

As you know, potty training requires creating an environment that supports a child's independence and ability to practice self-help skills. Therefore any child that does not arrive in easy-off/easy-on clothing will be placed in diapers/Pull-ups and not assisted in the toilet training process for the day.

The daycare does not have the ability or staff to dress and redress a child that is wearing restrictive or non-child friendly clothing. This is covered in the potty training policies of ABC daycare.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter. The more we work together during this process, the faster your child will master using the toilet.

Sincerely,

Provider
wdmmom 05:21 PM 01-07-2014
I'd say something like

Dear DCP

As you know, potty training requires creating an environment that supports a child's independence and ability to practice self-help skills. Therefore any child that does not arrive in easy-off/easy-on clothing will be placed in diapers/Pull-ups and not assisted in the toilet training process for the day.

The daycare does not have the ability or staff to dress and redress a child that is wearing restrictive or non-child friendly clothing. This is covered in the potty training policies of ABC daycare.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter. The more we work together during this process, the faster your child will master using the toilet.

Sincerely,

Provider
I have it specifically worded in my contract that loose fitting clothing is best while PT. Children need to be able to use the bathroom with minimal assistance. Sweat pants and or elastic waisted pants are always best.
daycare 05:24 PM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have it specifically worded in my contract that loose fitting clothing is best while PT. Children need to be able to use the bathroom with minimal assistance. Sweat pants and or elastic waisted pants are always best.
I have this too, but they still come in with clothing that NO ONE can manage.

Who in the world invented skinny jeans for 20 month old?? UGH
wabbittrouble 06:08 AM 01-08-2014
If they come in something that's hard to remove I just remove their pants/tights/overalls and let them run around all day in their shirt and diaper.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by wabbittrouble:
If they come in something that's hard to remove I just remove their pants/tights/overalls and let them run around all day in their shirt and diaper.
I used to do that too but for some odd reason, I've had a flow of parents over the last few years that are offended by that.
daycare 07:25 AM 01-08-2014
I used to do that too but for some odd reason, I've had a flow of parents over the last few years that are offended by that.
funny, I did that with my own child years ago and the parents were not too happy about it. I thought oh, he's only 2 what will it hurt if he does.

I guess by doing it I did realize however that I was breaking my own policies which state you must come dressed ready for the day.

I once tried to claim it was a no pants party, got a few laughs and one that turned her eyebrow upside down at me.

I don't tell jokes anymore and I don't allow kids to not run in T-shirt and diaper anymore either.

OH yeah, I forgot to mention, one mom told me that I was embarrassing my son and scaring him for life by letting him run without pants in front of all his friends...yeah it was the eyebrow turner...lol
Reply Up