Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Twins and Daycare
twinsmother 04:42 PM 06-30-2014
Hello!I'm the mother to 3 year old identical twin girls, I just enrolled them in daycare for the first time. When I enrolled them,I asked that they be separate so they did not rely on each other so much, they could be more social. The first couple days, there were no problems with twins and daycare but the past couple days everyt ime, I pick up my girls their daycare provider tells me that they have been misbehaving. I ask her why hasnt the daycare separate them like I ask?The respond is Well, the director will make that decision when she deems necessary.

My question is,How can I get my daycare to separate my twin girls?I don't think its healthy for them to be together all day, they need socialize and be friendly with other kids. I know its hard with twins, I just want best for my girls.
hope 05:12 PM 06-30-2014
I would then ask to talk to the director next time you drop off or pick up. If they don't have accommodations to separate then they should have told you that before you signed on. Ask director which class "child A" is going to be in and which class "child B" will be in.
TwinKristi 07:23 PM 06-30-2014
They may have a baby/toddler room and a preschool room and unable to have them in actual separate rooms but maybe hoped to have them doing different activities.
As a mom of identical twins myself I find it odd to want them separated so young. They'll be separated in elementary school and beyond. They're siblings of the same age so unless there are multiple classrooms for the same age I highly doubt this will be easy to accomplish. Most daycares or preschools have classes by age but separate into smaller groups for activities.
AmyKidsCo 07:43 PM 06-30-2014
If the daycare isn't able to accommodate your request you could consider enrolling one of them in another center.
Michael 08:57 PM 06-30-2014
Welcome to the forum. A few more threads on Twins: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=twins
saved4always 09:28 AM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
They may have a baby/toddler room and a preschool room and unable to have them in actual separate rooms but maybe hoped to have them doing different activities.
As a mom of identical twins myself I find it odd to want them separated so young. They'll be separated in elementary school and beyond. They're siblings of the same age so unless there are multiple classrooms for the same age I highly doubt this will be easy to accomplish. Most daycares or preschools have classes by age but separate into smaller groups for activities.

I worked in a center and we had one room for infants, one for toddlers and one for preschool aged kids. Between licensing rules and ratios that say how many kids can be in a room, we would not have been able to separate your twins as you appear to want it. In our daycare's case, the preschool could have 12 kids to 1 teacher per licensing ratios and that is how it was staffed. So they all did the same activities at the same time as the room can only hold 14 kids and not that many were enrolled and/or attending most days. The kids in each age group were all in the same room and, unless physically restrained (not recommended or allowed, of course ) would not be able to be kept out of the same space. Maybe at nap time or when doing activities at a table to some degree, but any other time, I feel it is asking the teacher to police something that is not really able to be be totally controlled.

Are they separated at home all the time?
Tdhmom 11:01 AM 07-01-2014
I have 3 year old twins in my daycare. They are not identical (boy and girl). They've both went their seperate ways in my care. Probably easier due to gender but I only have my 3 kids and them in my care so not many kids to choose from. I will say my 3 yr old dd and 3 yr old twin dcb do not get along at all! I'm sure it has to do with twin dcg because they both compete for her. But I wouldn't worry. They'll branch out! It is very neat watching their connection though. If one of them are getting in trouble the other one watches everything to make sure it's nothing serious. And if one cries the other one is right there to make sure he/she is ok. If anything look at it like it's an extra back up if they're being picked on.
Tags:twins
Reply Up