Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Has Anyone Ever Made a Rainstick?
Heidi 06:45 AM 03-23-2012
I have an awesomely long cardboard tube (actually 2...Country Gal, do you want to have one?).

Ok, I get the general principle is to put nails all around the tube, tape one end, fill it with rice, then tape the other. Then paper maiche over the top with newprint and then tissue?

What medium (watered down glue, flour paste?) do you paper maiche with?

What would you close up the ends with?
BigMama 07:58 AM 03-23-2012
Awesome project. The best thing to paper mache with is liquid starch.
daycare 08:59 AM 03-23-2012
we made these last year and we had to end up covering the ends with light weight cardboard and hot glue.

We tried paper mache, but when I shook it, everything ripped through it. Maybe I am not good at doing it. I found that the ends needed to be covered with something thicker...

I still have mine and we still play with it weekly during music time.
Meyou 09:03 AM 03-23-2012
I would tape round cardboard with slits to bend down and tape to the outside of the ends and use my glue gun too. Then I'd tape it again so nothing was getting out. Then I would modge podge something pretty over it....maybe layers of tissue paper. But the important part for me would be making those ends secure with a mess of hot glue and packing tape. I make my own modge podge. 1/2 white glue and 1/2 water in a little jar and shake until mixed.
Sunchimes 11:22 AM 03-23-2012
I made one out of a gourd. I didn't like the sound of rice, so I added dried beans, (large and small) and BBs. It has a great sound now!
Reply Up