Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is it Best to Get a Director's License First and Be a Director in a Center?
king 01:41 PM 02-27-2013
I would love to one day open my own afterschool care and then eventually a fulltime childcare. I'm wondering if it will be easier to be a director at an established childcare center to gain experience of operating my own? I am a certified public school teacher but would love to learn the business side and Im not sure if I would be able to do that side effectively without training. I do have my MBA, but there are so many rules and regulations with opening businesses. How did some of you guys do during the intial opening? what is the hardest to deal with in this type of business?
Starburst 05:30 PM 02-27-2013
It depends on the state but I would think that you would have to get a director permit before you can work as a director. Here in CA you have to qualify to be a director before you can become a director. Center regulations are alot more stricter than family child care regulations. And you can possibly have to pay a high penalty if you break the law requirements in home daycare it is up to $250 for every day you are suspected of operating without the appropriate license- I imagine it is twice that for a center.

Plus with the upcost of the lease for the building, the license applications, equipment, and training you are better off making sure there is a need for it in your area because alot of after school kids are enrolled in sports, YMCA/boys and girls club/ school sponsered AS programs, or are just latch-key kids.
Reply Up