Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2.5yo DCG Can’t Walk Today
ihop 09:06 AM 11-01-2013
I have a 2.5 yo dcg who is normally running, jumping, and playing with no issue. Today her dad carries her in, like usual, and sits her down to take her shoes off. I go to start breakfast and stumbles over to the carpet to play.. I call her in for breakfast and she is stumbling all over the place and falls twice. After breakfast I take her potty, she leaned on the wall all the way to the bathroom and fell back down every time I tried to set her feet on the floor.

I checked her feet and legs to make sure she wasn't hurt and there isn't anything there. I asked if she had an owies and she said no. She is acting totally fine. Ate her breakfast fine
Just can't seem to walk.

I text dcm to see if she knew what was up, no response yet.

Apparently She DID tot last night after all. Not sure if it's from that, but I'd it was, she would have been walking like that at home.

Any opinions?
Familycare71 09:09 AM 11-01-2013
I dont know but I would get a hold of dcm or dcd ASAP. Maybe as simple as an inner ear infection but also if she bumped her head or something and they didnt tell you it could be serious!
itlw8 09:10 AM 11-01-2013
something is seriously wrong. call parents to come NOW and take to get checked out. The child either took or was given too much of a medicine,,, was hurt in some way or has some serious illness.

Document Everything you noticed and get them there NOW> Expect to be blamed if there is something caused by something other than illness....

I am serious do it NOW and after they pick up you might want to call your license rep and give them a heads up.
SilverSabre25 09:13 AM 11-01-2013
That does NOT sound okay. i agree; she needs to be seen ASAP
NeedaVaca 09:14 AM 11-01-2013
I would be very concerned. Call for a pick up! Could be a number of things, some of which could be serious. She should be seen by a Dr.
MamaBearCanada 09:26 AM 11-01-2013
Call mom & dad - call emergency contacts if no answer. She could have something mild like inner ear problems but it could be something serious like a stroke.

http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServe...name=pedstroke
Familycare71 09:30 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Call mom & dad - call emergency contacts if no answer. She could have something mild like inner ear problems but it could be something serious like a stroke.

http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServe...name=pedstroke

I would def not keep her in care- IF I couldn't get a hold of any emergency back ups or parents I would call Ped on file and ask if you should call 911.
daycarediva 09:31 AM 11-01-2013
I would be on the phone with parents for immediate pick up and tell them you aren't admitting her back until she is seen by a physician and you have a documented note. DOCUMENT THE HECK out of it today in health checks and call your registrar as well.
jenn 09:38 AM 11-01-2013
I agree with immediate pick up. She needs to be seen by a doctor.
Maggie 09:40 AM 11-01-2013
I had this exact same thing happen to a two year old in my care about a month ago. Every time he tried to walk his legs just gave out. I checked his feet legs didn't find anything. I called dad to pick up. But the time dad got here (hour and a half later) he was able to take about 10 steps before falling. Dad took him to the doctor, doctor said he may have sprained his knee. DCB did not seem to be in any pain to me. He was sent for an xray just to check but it showed nothing. By the end of the day he was fine and it hasn't happens since. Now I'm wondering if it was some sort of virus.
BrooklynM 09:43 AM 11-01-2013
This happened to me when I was about 5 years old. We were on vacation at Disneyland. I couldn't walk straight at all. I actually fell into the swimming pool. My dad was annoyed with me - what is wrong with you, can't you walk right? Stop being lazy, etc. We went to bed that night at the Disneyland Hotel and woke up to blood all over my pillow. My eardrum had ruptured. I never felt actual pain in my ear and I have had several ear infections since then and I don't feel pain, it comes on for me in other symptoms.

This kid for sure needs to go to the doctor asap. Let us know what happens!
coolconfidentme 09:52 AM 11-01-2013
Keep us updated please!!!
Scout 09:54 AM 11-01-2013
That is scary! Did dcm call back? She needs to go to the ER or ped Asap! keep us posted!
ihop 10:00 AM 11-01-2013
Mom just picked up. Asked where the nearest hospital was and the had dcg try to walk to the car she says well she was fine this morning. I called licensing who took a report but didn't seem to care much. I told dcm to keep me updated.
Brooksie 10:18 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
Mom just picked up. Asked where the nearest hospital was and the had dcg try to walk to the car she says well she was fine this morning. I called licensing who took a report but didn't seem to care much. I told dcm to keep me updated.
Good luck!
SilverSabre25 10:19 AM 11-01-2013
Glad mom is taking it seriously. Keep us posted
itlw8 11:33 AM 11-01-2013
. Asked where the nearest hospital was and the had dcg try to walk to the car she says well she was fine this morning. .
This is worrysome to me. It is like setting you up to take the blame for something they already know happened. document that statement also.
jojosmommy 11:41 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by Maggie:
I had this exact same thing happen to a two year old in my care about a month ago. Every time he tried to walk his legs just gave out. I checked his feet legs didn't find anything. I called dad to pick up. But the time dad got here (hour and a half later) he was able to take about 10 steps before falling. Dad took him to the doctor, doctor said he may have sprained his knee. DCB did not seem to be in any pain to me. He was sent for an xray just to check but it showed nothing. By the end of the day he was fine and it hasn't happens since. Now I'm wondering if it was some sort of virus.
Same here! I sent a 3 yr old home within an hour of drop off because he couldnt walk. Dr tested everything but nothing came of it. 2 yrs later, dcb is normal. NO CLUE.!?
ihop 12:00 PM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
This is worrysome to me. It is like setting you up to take the blame for something they already know happened. document that statement also.
I agree. Also got a strange follow up question from her related to toileting which also has me concerned. I know I did nothing wrong so I'm trying to relax.
hope 12:28 PM 11-01-2013
I agree. Also got a strange follow up question from her related to toileting which also has me concerned. I know I did nothing wrong so I'm trying to relax.
What did she ask? Didn't you say they told you the child had the same issue the night before? Now they are saying the child was fine this morning? If my child lost their balance I would immediately bring to the doctor, not put them to bed
ihop 12:31 PM 11-01-2013
I do not know if she had any issues yesterday, she wasn't here. But mom says she was fine last night.
Margarete 01:08 PM 11-01-2013
Other ideas/ thoughts. Was she out walking or running a lot more then usual last night with the holiday?
My daughter had some balancing issues when she went through one of her growth spurts, and kept falling for several days in a row at around 20 months, but nothing as bad as what you describe.
I hope everything is fine, and/or they find out what's going on, and she's back to normal Monday. Keep us posted.
ihop 04:09 PM 11-01-2013
I text dcm a half hour ago to see how she's doing...no reply.

I'll update if she ever does reply. I'm kinda freaking out that something is seriously wrong
daycare 04:41 PM 11-01-2013
I text dcm a half hour ago to see how she's doing...no reply.

I'll update if she ever does reply. I'm kinda freaking out that something is seriously wrong
try not to freak out and relax.......I know that we all tend to freak out when stuff like this happens...

sorry you are dealing with this.........
BumbleBee 06:41 PM 11-01-2013
ugh....I hope it's not something serious and that you can relax some this weekend.
ihop 06:46 PM 11-01-2013
She text me back and said Dr. Said it could be a number of things, most likely muscle fatigue from halloween. Dcm said she's fine, so she went back to work and left dcg with the 15yo neighbor.

I'm glad it's nothing serious. Although it's not a definitive answer.
daycare 06:49 PM 11-01-2013
Do you require parents to provide doctors diagnosis before a child can return to care?
ihop 06:53 PM 11-01-2013
Yes, I told her I need a Letter from dr with diagnosis and treatment plan
So we will see what she come with Monday.
dbslas 06:57 PM 11-01-2013
She text me back and said Dr. Said it could be a number of things, most likely muscle fatigue from halloween. Dcm said she's fine, so she went back to work and left dcg with the 15yo neighbor.

I'm glad it's nothing serious. Although it's not a definitive answer.
Wow! Her kid can't walk, the doc gives a non-diagnosis, and she sends her off without a care to the 15-year-old neighbor? Don't think i could be so relaxed as this mom.
Scout 06:57 PM 11-01-2013
The child could not walk, went to dr and checked out okay, so mom left her with a teenager and went back to work!! I dont care what that dr said, if that were my child you bet your arse I am home with them keeping a close eye on my own kid.
daycare 09:46 PM 11-01-2013
I call BS. I've taken my DCks on a 4.5 mile hike up and down hills and none of them have ever suffered anything but being tired.

Did they ToT like 20 miles. ??
ihop 10:09 PM 11-01-2013
I agree bs. I take her on long walks all of the time. And trust me when she is too tired to keep going, she will stop. I've had to carry her twice. After nap time she was always good as new. Also, they don't know anyone in the area and live in apartments so I imagine they only tot ed around the apartment.
ihop 08:38 AM 11-04-2013
So dcg come back and is walking fine. I go over the doctors note and diagnosis is leg problems and he cleared her to go back to day care that Same day! the child who could not even walk or stand should not be back in care two hours later! Proof positive why the doctors clearance notes aren't worth the paper they are written on!
daycarediva 08:41 AM 11-04-2013
So dcg come back and is walking fine. I go over the doctors note and diagnosis is leg problems and he cleared her to go back to day care that Same day! the child who could not even walk or stand should not be back in care two hours later! Proof positive why the doctors clearance notes aren't worth the paper they are written on!
So scary and sad at the same time! and ITA, dr's notes aren't worth much!
sharlan 08:42 AM 11-04-2013
My grandkids' drs ask what we want we want the note to say.
childcaremom 08:47 AM 11-04-2013
I'm glad she is feeling better.... but that note
sally 05:34 PM 11-04-2013
Last year I had a 5 year old dcg who had had some major medical stuff going on. She walked into walls and couldn't find the light switch in the bathroom and had trouble using her hands and fingers. I called the parents immediately and they rushed her to the hospital. She had fluid on her brain and basically had a stroke.
Scout 03:27 AM 11-05-2013
I can not believe that dr. cleared her for that day!!
MotherNature 07:04 PM 11-05-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
Wow! Her kid can't walk, the doc gives a non-diagnosis, and she sends her off without a care to the 15-year-old neighbor? Don't think i could be so relaxed as this mom.
yeah, exactly.
Reply Up