Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Christmas Gift/Bonus?
Unregistered 01:06 PM 11-29-2013
My daughter (2 next week) just started at a new licensed family (in-home) daycare in the middle of November. I am not sure what to get her provider for Christmas as our kids have all been at centers in the past and we just did cute little candy cane/stocking things. Any ideas for little gifts? I really don't know what she likes...

Also, I am thinking that we want to/should give her a Christmas bonus but I have no idea how much would be appropriate. Taking the below information into account, how much would you want/expect?

First 3 weeks of care - $180/week (except for Black Friday, provider's unpaid day - Thanksgiving paid)
Rate going forward - $135/week (drops at 2 years old)
Provider will get paid from 12/23 thru 1/1, though the child will not be attending & she will then be able to have an additional school-ager there

I don't want to under pay her a bonus, but also cannot afford to give her a full week's pay as I read somewhere else (especially with paying the week & a half that she won't be there).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Scout 01:30 PM 11-29-2013
I got nothing last year so, I would think she would appreciate any amount of bonus she got. It is just a great feeling to be told you are appreciated! My family sent me a text on Thanksgiving and it made my morning!
Blackcat31 03:23 PM 11-29-2013
Honestly, it isn't the money or the gift. It's really just the fact that you recognize the hard work she does and the effort she puts for to care for your daughter in a quality way.

If you are happy with her services, I would write her a thank you note/card from the heart expressing your gratitude for what she does.

Opening your home up to families that aren't related to you can be hard sometimes. The hours are long, the little things add up and the differing parenting styles can drive you mad sometimes so simply appreciating and acknowledging what your provider does is ALOT.

If you really want to give a gift, I would try to find something personal. It doesn't have to be expensive or big....just something that says you realize she has a life outside of being a child care provider.
MarinaVanessa 07:16 PM 11-29-2013
How about just something thoughtful. I new coffee mug, some coffe and some tea (just in case she doesn't like coffee). Or maybe a $5-$10 gift card to Starbucks or Coffee Bean or something. I know that I appreciate anything, even and especially if it's a hand made card from their children and whole family. I love that you even thought about it .
nanglgrl 07:56 PM 11-29-2013
I have had parents give me money, crafts they made with their children, gift cards etc. Those things were all great but what I cherish most is the cards they include with heartfelt sentiments of appreciation. I liked the money and gift cards too because I tend do do everything for everyone and not a lot for myself so it was nice to get a gift no matter how small. I'm sure other providers view this differently but I never want the homemade items...I have 4 children of my own and a daycare so I have enough of that stuff no matter how cute and heartfelt.
SSWonders 09:44 PM 11-29-2013
I am touched when my daycare parents think of me at Christmas. I have everything I need and there really isn't anything I want. However, there are many animals that don't. So at this time of year I ask that they make a donation to our local animal shelter instead of getting something for me. My heart aches for homeless animals so this gift means a lot to me.
sahm1225 10:06 AM 11-30-2013
I agree about the handwritten note saying thank you. I have saved every single one I've ever gotten!

A gift card for coffee or one for a spa. Or any amount of cash. One family always gets me expensive hand cream (I have horrible dry hands because of constant hand washing). I once got samples of lotions & perfumes from a mom that works retail (she had been saving one of each for me for months) and I loved it!

I think spending the time to write a note and purchase a gift is very thoughtful. If you are looking for an amount, I would say $50 (a little less than half week pay).
Josiegirl 12:22 PM 11-30-2013
If you're going to give her a bonus I was thinking around $50 also, like someone else mentioned. And include the heartfelt written card. It'll make her day! It's difficult to know what to get if you're not sure of size, taste, where she shops, etc. A gift card to Amazon was really handy for me to receive one year because as was mentioned, you shop for everyone else and do for everybody but don't usually buy for yourself. Truthfully, anything given with a grateful message, I'm sure, will be appreciated.
TwinKristi 01:17 PM 11-30-2013
I got a $100 bonus last year and that was really sweet and unexpected! Anything would be nice though.
SilverSabre25 06:21 PM 11-30-2013
If you don't know what she likes, you can either watch for clues the next couple weeks or go with something sure to please--visa gift card! Or if you can tell what stores she shops at (Target, fave grocery store, etc). A couple movie tickets and a $25 gift card to a restaurant near the theatre.

I got a $50 visa gift card one year and that was wonderful for me! I would frankly be embarrassed to get a week's pay. I don't know who thought that guideline up but I think it's silly, personally
SilverSabre25 06:23 PM 11-30-2013
Other ideas: Large box of art supplies (construction paper, white drawing paper, washable crayons, water colors, tape, glue sticks, fingerpaints....)

Tissues. Or toilet paper. haha. or paper towels. Okay maybe not. :P
melilley 06:25 PM 11-30-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
If you don't know what she likes, you can either watch for clues the next couple weeks or go with something sure to please--visa gift card! Or if you can tell what stores she shops at (Target, fave grocery store, etc). A couple movie tickets and a $25 gift card to a restaurant near the theatre.

I got a $50 visa gift card one year and that was wonderful for me! I would frankly be embarrassed to get a week's pay. I don't know who thought that guideline up but I think it's silly, personally
I agree, I would feel uncomfortable if a family gave me a week's pay!
melilley 06:37 PM 11-30-2013
I had a parent recently ask me what I like to do, without kids (I have 2 of my own). If you are comfortable you could ask her what she likes or what she likes to do. Or look around her house and see what she has. It could be candles, picture frames, figurines etc...

Personally, anything that families give is great, even a thank you letter. I have received coffee and bookstore gift cards, specialty breads, candles, and one of my favorites is a Willow Tree figurine of an angel that a family gave to me when I left a center that came with a heartfelt letter.
MyAngels 07:10 PM 11-30-2013
Since you've not been there long I think you'd be safe to go with a nice note and gift card, I'd say $50 would be plenty.

A couple of things I've received that were memorable (in a good way) were a set of nicely scented liquid hand soaps and lotions, a willow tree figurine - the family gave me one each year and I always think of their kids when dust them - restaurant gift cards are always nice, one family gave me a Tervis tumbler which was very thoughtful because I always have a drink nearby during the day.

No matter what you do, your provider will be very appreciative I'm sure.
daycarediva 10:34 AM 12-02-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Honestly, it isn't the money or the gift. It's really just the fact that you recognize the hard work she does and the effort she puts for to care for your daughter in a quality way.

If you are happy with her services, I would write her a thank you note/card from the heart expressing your gratitude for what she does.

Opening your home up to families that aren't related to you can be hard sometimes. The hours are long, the little things add up and the differing parenting styles can drive you mad sometimes so simply appreciating and acknowledging what your provider does is ALOT.

If you really want to give a gift, I would try to find something personal. It doesn't have to be expensive or big....just something that says you realize she has a life outside of being a child care provider.
I have saved every letter, note or card from parents and children. I'm sentimental like that and it goes a LONG way.

I just did this gift for ds's teachers for Christmas: a wicker basket, $3 christmas throw blanket (from walmart), redbox gift card and movie theater candy boxes and popcorn. I know they both have small children, and I KNOW my entire family would get to spend an evening together/enjoy that gift.
sharlan 12:50 PM 12-02-2013
I do not expect gifts from any of my parents. That way, I'm never disappointed and very appreciative of any gifts that I receive.

For me, a card with a letter of appreciation would be fantastic.

A gift card for any store.

Anything from Lakeshore. I have started driving down different streets to avoid that store. I spend way too much money there.
Lorri 05:30 PM 12-02-2013
Most of my parent gives me gift, it all rankest from coasters to $100. To me it is the thought that counts, a bath and body gift card would be nice that way she can pick out her favorite
saved4always 04:43 PM 12-03-2013
I used to provide chiildcare in my home for 8 years. I have to admit that my favorite families were those who showed their appreciation with a meaningful bonus. I had a couple families who gave me a week's pay as a Christmas gift/bonus. Before anyone freaks that this not affordable, please note that I only watched teacher's children and I did not charge them for the time they were off for the holidays and I was not watching their children. Since break was more than a week, they actually ended up ahead financially. One of my other favorites was a spa gift certificate....for enough to actually get a massage and pedicure. Another great gift was a Pandora bracelet with 2 meaningful beads to start it off. I actually felt like these families really appreciated me and wanted to truly bless me.

I have also received some really lame gifts like what appeared to be semi-used body lotion....yuck. A friend of mine who provides care in her home once received shampoo and conditioner....cheap brand from the drugstore, not a nice one. Another friend has received items that were obviously rejected items that her client (a teacher) had received.
Unregistered 09:51 AM 12-04-2013
A Visa gift card would be nice. As a provider, I prefer not to get more craft stuff, or another coffee mug, or a home made gift, etc. Even if you can only afford a $25 gift card, it is a nice gesture. I have always heard equal to one weeks pay....but that has only happened to me 2 times in quite a few years. A nice Christmas gift is a great way to show your provider how much she is appreciated. Everyone needs to remember that not every dollar a provider earns is spendable income for them.....with the daycare fees come a lot of additional expenses for running a childcare. Something many tend to forget about.
nannyde 02:33 PM 12-05-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I agree, I would feel uncomfortable if a family gave me a week's pay!
Why?

The vast majority of my clients give week and two week bonuses. My helper gets them too.
Jack Sprat 01:26 PM 12-06-2013
When I was a nanny I got a weeks bonus each Christmas. As a daycare provider I expect nothing.

In your case I would do $50 if you feel the need to get her something. Otherwise a card and a thank you means just as much to me. I have two dcf that tell me thank you every day as do their kids. It means A LOT to me.
sahm1225 12:39 PM 12-08-2013
I agree with nannyde - I wouldn't be uncomfortable, i would be jumping up and down!! But I wouldn't expect that from my families and I have amazing families. If I did get a one week or two week bonuses I would be thrilled and treating myself to a nice steak dinner
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:47 PM 12-09-2013
I once had a family that would give me a generous amount of gift certificates for a local pizza place. My kids were little and this was awesome because it meant I didn't have to cook dinner one night through the holiday season. They knew my husband was in school and that was a treat!
I really don't expect anything from my parents. Most give me a card. Some of my kidlets make me something. Some parents get me something. Any gesture is appreciated.
grandmom 06:20 PM 12-09-2013
Perhaps a gift card if you are certain that your provider will use it. Billions of dollars are tied up in gift cards that will never be used.

Cash is so much better. And A week's pay or more is totally appropriate.

You are a considerate mom. Thanks for asking us our opinion.
melilley 06:24 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Why?

The vast majority of my clients give week and two week bonuses. My helper gets them too.
I don't know why! I just get uncomfortable when people give me things, but I love to give. I appreciate it, but I've always been like that.

It would be nice now that I think about it though!
AnneCordelia 06:44 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Perhaps a gift card if you are certain that your provider will use it. Billions of dollars are tied up in gift cards that will never be used.

Cash is so much better. And A week's pay or more is totally appropriate.

You are a considerate mom. Thanks for asking us our opinion.
I agree...very considerate!

I get a wide range of gifts from homemade cookies to a weeks bonus. I appreciate them all!
Meeko 03:26 PM 12-17-2013
It's the appreciation that is most important. Most providers would rather get no gift and a heart-felt letter of thanks than a gift and no verbal or written thank you.

So if funds are tight, maybe just a beautiful card and special message.
Punkin.Butts 08:01 PM 12-31-2013
I got nothing for he holidays and I'd been caring for the children for over 6 months. I did however, get a phone call at 2pm on christmas day wondering if I could watch their children for 2 hours so that they could have some "adult alone time".....
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:07 AM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by Punkin.Butts:
I got nothing for he holidays and I'd been caring for the children for over 6 months. I did however, get a phone call at 2pm on christmas day wondering if I could watch their children for 2 hours so that they could have some "adult alone time".....
NO WAY!!
e.j. 05:29 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by Punkin.Butts:
Wow! That's just..... None of the words that come to mind cut it! I'm just sitting here, shaking my head!
kindertouch 07:48 AM 01-05-2014
The idea about sending the provider a thank you note for her effort is a good way. As for me, I prefer it personal so I bought a lipstick for my daughter's teacher last December. I just hope she's able to use it.
Tags:advertisement, christmas bonus, christmas gifts
Reply Up