Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early Hours
midaycare 01:40 PM 06-16-2014
So many of you are done so early - 4:00, 4:30 pm, what do your parents do to be out of work so early? Are they all teachers? People here usually work 8-5 or 9-6. I don't have much choice but to work both early and late. My first comes at 6:45 am and my last leaves at 6:00 pm.

What makes your clients have such great hours?
SignMeUp 01:45 PM 06-16-2014
And flexible scheduling. I have parents who do administrative work at colleges, graphic design, teachers & professors, attorney, paralegal, non-profit grant-writing. All kinds of stuff where they are allowed to set at least some of their own hours, and sometimes work from home too.
I am open 7:30-5:00. I would love to be off at 4 though
I think a lot of mine have trouble getting out of the house in the morning, so often no one comes when I expect them, but they still have to come by 5.
Play Care 01:47 PM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
So many of you are done so early - 4:00, 4:30 pm, what do your parents do to be out of work so early? Are they all teachers? People are kind here usually work 8-5 or 9-6. I don't have much choice but to work both early and late. My first comes at 6:45 am and my last leaves at 6:00 pm.

I actively market to teachers, government employes, essentially anyone with shorter work hours. When I interview I tell parents that my clients value my care so much they make it work - usually by splitting drop offs and pick ups.
I've been toying with the idea of reducing fees for even earlier pick ups, but I think DH would have a heart attack
Tdhmom 02:05 PM 06-16-2014
I lucked out and have a dcm that works at the school (year round but can make her own hours in the summer so I get most Fridays off) and the Dcd is a farmer so he drops off late in the morning so I've been working 9:30 (sometimes 10) to 4:30 Monday through Thursday.

And I'm still burnt out and dread my 4 days
e.j. 02:25 PM 06-16-2014
I have parents who are teachers or who work for the schools in other positions like OTs and PTs. I also have parents who work for the state, are self-employed or who work in jobs that allow them to work from home with flexible hours. Other parents have staggered work schedules so dcd might drop off in the morning and dcm picks up in the afternoon. I've also had some parents who had other family members drop off and pick up. Everybody is different. If they value the care you offer their kids, they can usually find a way around your hours.
snbauser 02:41 PM 06-16-2014
Mine are all school employees and it's the group I target. I am technically open from 6:30-5 but run on contracted hours and my first drop offs are at about 7-7:15.
TwinKristi 02:55 PM 06-16-2014
Everyone's jobs vary here...0ne is a nurse at a school, one works from home, one works at a restaurant, one worked at a architect's office, one is jobless for now... LOL the one who works from home us usually the last to pick up surprisingly! Fridays usually end up being early days but I just interviewed with a family who would be a 5:15-5:30 pickup time and the other is also jobless so I have no idea what her hours will be.
Unregistered 03:03 PM 06-16-2014
I have teachers,nurses,office workers,plumber,dentist,grocery,but mostly teachers.
Everyone is gone by 5:00p.m. Every single child I have in my care does the dad's drop off in the morning and moms pick up in the evening.It really cuts down on the time they are in care.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:21 PM 06-16-2014
Almost all of my kids come from families in which either one or both parents are self-employed. Also, most of my families have one parent drop off and the other pick up.
GKJNIGMN 05:34 PM 06-16-2014
My earliest pick up is 2:30PM. DCM works at a warehouse but she also has to be to work at 5:30AM.

My others are all more reasonable start times. I have a DCM who does customer service for an internet/phone provider. She is done at either 3:30 or 4 depending on the week. She also has to work every 3rd weekend though so it is a trade off. She has a 6:45AM start time

Another DCM I had with a 3:30 to 4pm pickup was a higher level loan officer at a bank.
Annalee 06:44 PM 06-16-2014
So many of you are done so early - 4:00, 4:30 pm, what do your parents do to be out of work so early? Are they all teachers? People here usually work 8-5 or 9-6. I don't have much choice but to work both early and late. My first comes at 6:45 am and my last leaves at 6:00 pm.

These hours are in my contract. The parents whom are not off at 4:30 have someone pick up their child/children. I am open 6:00 to 4:30 and each child gets 9 1/2 hrs not to exceed 4:30. I have two sons and I need the time for my own family. I explain this in the interview.
craftymissbeth 06:51 PM 06-16-2014
I have a construction worker, phlebotomist, self employed landscaper, oil refinery worker, teacher, and my new dcm works at a hospital and I keep forgetting to ask what she does

New dcm works third shift so she picks up between 2:30-3:00, but is contracted until 3:30.. another family is contracted until 4, but picks up at 3:30, and the other family is contracted until 3:45.

They all used to come until 5 until I changed my rates to depend on pick-up times like Blackcat does. I make slightly less money, but it's so worth it to be done so early.

Eta: they all make it work somehow so that they can pay the least amount possible which is awesome because that also means they pick up earlier
drseuss 07:28 PM 06-16-2014
I have parents with state jobs who work 7-3:30, teachers who work 7:45-3:45, early shift welders working 6-3:00, nursing home 7-4...Not all of the parents work quite those hours, but usually the parent who gets off work first is the one picking up the child. I have worked longer days in the past, 11 hours regularly and sometimes 12 hours. Those long days are just not sustainable, to me, in this line of work. Major health problems and burn out ensue.
midaycare 07:33 PM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:

They all used to come until 5 until I changed my rates to depend on pick-up times like Blackcat does. I make slightly less money, but it's so worth it to be done so early.

Eta: they all make it work somehow so that they can pay the least amount possible which is awesome because that also means they pick up earlier
Okay what is this crazy talk and how does that work? Charging by pickup hour? Hmmm... I'm curious!
midaycare 07:35 PM 06-16-2014
Thanks everyone for your answers! I don't know if in my market I can be so picky, but I am curious about how the charging by pickup time works ... Anyone care to share?
Blackcat31 05:35 AM 06-17-2014
Thanks everyone for your answers! I don't know if in my market I can be so picky, but I am curious about how the charging by pickup time works ... Anyone care to share?
I can PM you my materials if you are interested.

It shows parents how THEY can control their child care rates by picking up early.

9 out of 12 of my families has one parent dropping off and another picking up so that I rarely have a child attend over 8-8.5 hours a day. (like CMB said...they make it work because it directly affects THEIR wallet)

I work LESS hours but make the same if not MORE money than simply having open to close hours (with a daily max) and charging a flat weekly rate.
midaycare 05:47 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I can PM you my materials if you are interested.

It shows parents how THEY can control their child care rates by picking up early.

9 out of 12 of my families has one parent dropping off and another picking up so that I rarely have a child attend over 8-8.5 hours a day. (like CMB said...they make it work because it directly affects THEIR wallet)

I work LESS hours but make the same if not MORE money than simply having open to close hours (with a daily max) and charging a flat weekly rate.
Wow! Yes please PM me! This is the perfect time for me to change something because I just lost a sibling set yesterday and I will have to interview to fill my SA's slots soon. Everyone else is part time.
SignMeUp 05:53 AM 06-17-2014
Do it! I have used a varying rate schedule too, for about ten years. I was hesitant to explain it to parents at first, but the selling point (for them) is definitely cost control. For me, it's time control
The hardest part of changing over for me was when I took a phone call from a prospective family and the rate question came up. I had to retrain my brain because I kept finding myself saying "I have a new rate schedule and it's complicated." No, no, no
Now I say, "What hours of care would you use? .... And that includes transportation time?" and then I quickly calculate the rate. I write down the times & calculation on my intake form so that there is no question about it later.
craftymissbeth 07:41 AM 06-17-2014
Okay what is this crazy talk and how does that work? Charging by pickup hour? Hmmm... I'm curious!

My drop offs can be anywhere between 7-9 am. I don't allow drop offs after 9.

Pickups and the corresponding weekly rate:
3:00 $90
3:15 $95
3:30 $100
3:45 $105
4:00 $110
4:15 $115
4:30 $120
4:45 $125
5:00 $130

Drop off between 5-6 am is $5 per day per child.
Pick ups between 5-6 pm is $5 per day per child.

All of my parents chose the absolute earliest time they could get someone here to pick up so they could save some $$. Like BC said, THEY are in complete control of their rates. They get to set their budget... as long as the pick up time corresponds with what they want to pay
craftymissbeth 07:42 AM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Do it! I have used a varying rate schedule too, for about ten years. I was hesitant to explain it to parents at first, but the selling point (for them) is definitely cost control. For me, it's time control
The hardest part of changing over for me was when I took a phone call from a prospective family and the rate question came up. I had to retrain my brain because I kept finding myself saying "I have a new rate schedule and it's complicated." No, no, no
Now I say, "What hours of care would you use? .... And that includes transportation time?" and then I quickly calculate the rate. I write down the times & calculation on my intake form so that there is no question about it later.
That's how I answer the rate question, too. Would you mind sharing your intake form?
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 06-17-2014
My response is "Rates are individualized to meet the needs of each family. My rates however, are competitive with other area programs"

I leave it at that. If they ask for more info, I either ask them to set up an interview or send them to my web-site.
Meyou 08:03 AM 06-17-2014
Most of my parents split pick up and drop off. I rarely work past 4:45 even though I'm open until 5:30 technically. I actively interview for families that want to spend every off second with their children and I stress the importance of minimal daycare hours and maximum home time as the ideal for a happy, healthy childhood. I word this in terms that are clear including the fact that if they don't make the time then *I* will be raising their child, not them, since I will have almost all the awake hours. Getting parents to understand that perspective has worked wonders for me. People don't like the idea of someone else "raising" their child.
midaycare 08:07 AM 06-17-2014
All of this information has been so helpful - thank you everyone!
Crazy8 08:15 AM 06-17-2014
I have found some teachers that even need till 5pm, or at least they say they do.

I have one family who mom is an accountant, works 9-4, four days a week. I believe she worked full time before she started having kids but this was the agreement they made to her going back. I have another who is a SAHM and picks up at 3:30, only because I won't allow a nap time pick up. And my other family is till 5. Mom's hours are flexible, she brings a lot of work home but more often than not dad picks up (and I am sure he is home a good hour before he picks up).

Last year I changed my weekly rate to reflect a 4:30 pick up time. I will charge extra to go later but I really don't want families here later so while I have one till 5pm if I find a 4:30 to replace them I will. Finding kids is hard here though, I am thinking of marketing towards teachers in the future. Maybe I can start that now for September.
SignMeUp 09:05 AM 06-17-2014
That's how I answer the rate question, too. Would you mind sharing your intake form?
I will try to figure out how to do that later today, when I am at the computer
SignMeUp 09:12 AM 06-17-2014
My rates however, are competitive with other area programs"
I can't say this because I am not competitive. I am in child care strictly for the money
Blackcat31 09:22 AM 06-17-2014
I can't say this because I am not competitive. I am in child care strictly for the money
Me too!

I'm also on the higher end of the rate scale in my area but the ability to control their own expenses seems to be a win-win for families here.
SignMeUp 09:47 AM 06-17-2014
Me too!

I'm also on the higher end of the rate scale in my area but the ability to control their own expenses seems to be a win-win for families here.
Same for me. And I think because we have established reputations, the quality of care is known, kwim? FCC was the main form of care when I began, and the reputation goes way back to then. I really do not often feel that I am in competition with centers like many providers here do. I am surrounded by centers, four within two blocks of me, but it does not seem to affect my calls or interviews at all.
Not that any of this pertains to this thread
DaisyMamma 10:11 AM 06-17-2014
I close at 5:00 and it took 2-3 years to get down to that hour from 630/645!

After each family changed pickup times down, even by 15 min., I just went with it and didn't give even a minute after that.
I also started telling new clients that I close at 5:00. When I got down to one family having a 5:30 pickup I just told them I prefer 5:00 now and they've made it work.
I could only dream of closing at 4:00 Or even 4:30! But my earliest drop off is 8:00, so unless I open earlier then I'm stiuck with 5.
DaisyMamma 10:13 AM 06-17-2014

Good for you.
I will be raising my rates at the end of the summer.
nanglgrl 10:27 AM 06-17-2014
I close at 3:45. My clients are usually college students, families where one parent works from home or John Deere families so dad might work 3rd and mom works first so they need daycare so dad can sleep. A lot of times clients will think they need longer hours but then realize they can make it work. I'm not going to lie, sometimes it gets hard when enrollment is low and I know I could be full if I extended my hours but it always works out. Up until the start of June I thought I'd only have 2 kids this summer and was freaking out trying to decide if I should stay open later or be broke.i finally decided I'd rather be broke then crazy and suddenly got a ton of calls, started 6 new kids and added 8 to my waiting list...all families that could work with my hours.
SignMeUp 01:12 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:

Good for you.
I will be raising my rates at the end of the summer.
Many years ago, I had a fantastic group of supportive daycare parents. All of them congratulated me whenever I took a day off And one of them gave me the advice to raise my rates every year, even if by a small amount. People come to expect the annual increase, and most years costs do go up. If costs don't go up, there is always something you've been wanting to add to your program
I know that times are different now, but I am still raising annually, and I would encourage providers to do so. I have never found myself out of line with other providers, though I may be a bit to the high side for some age groups.
There are a few things that I think we childcare providers should change the 'standard' on. Pricing is one. The two-week-notice is another -- it is no longer reasonable. And I have been so happy to find on this board that the variable rate is happening other places than my daycare. Really?! I thought I invented it No one else does that here
I considered it an experiment when I began, but it works both for parents and providers.
SignMeUp 01:17 PM 06-17-2014
I'm going to try the attachment again
SignMeUp 01:20 PM 06-17-2014
Okay, CraftyMissBeth Two things I have never done before
1. Attached anything here
2. Shared my forms

But here ya go - change whatever you can't use and make it your own
If you have questions about what anything means, FFTA (feel free to ask - did I make that up?)

(I hope this works!)
SignMeUp 01:21 PM 06-17-2014
Ugh. How does it work? Tried to attach the file, thought I did. But I don't see it
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 06-17-2014
Ugh. How does it work? Tried to attach the file, thought I did. But I don't see it
https://www.daycare.com/forum/faq.ph...l&titlesonly=0

See if that helps. If not, let me know and I will walk you through it.
SignMeUp 02:20 PM 06-17-2014
Okay. One more time. FYI, my pop-up opened in a small window, where the "upload" button wasn't visible. Duh, I enlarged the window and saw it

So the form will be anti-climactic after this It's nothing fancy.
Attached: PROSPECTIVE PARENT PHONE INTERVIEW REV07242013.doc (28.5 KB) 
craftymissbeth 03:43 PM 06-17-2014
Thank you, SignMeUp!!

ETA: It's exactly what I needed!
SignMeUp 03:53 PM 06-17-2014
Thank you, SignMeUp!!

ETA: It's exactly what I needed!
Aw good I'm so happy to be of some help.
That bottom row of boxes - they are check-off boxes for things that I typically hand out to prospective parents. I tend to hand out things that came up in discussion first, so that way I can keep track of what I've given them.

And my own personal touch I always call the forms I've made myself "MYFORMS072113" with my initials before the revision date. Feel free to use your own and make it yours (Like anyone cares, but I like my business-like touches)
I even tweaked it a bit, so that it (hopefully) fits better on a clipboard. The upper right box used to be a bit obscured and it bugged me So I changed it for you (Though I wasn't that business-like because I didn't change the revision date)
craftymissbeth 03:57 PM 06-17-2014
I shall call this form Parent Interview Form. Not very creative or business-like lol

I was going to ask about the checkboxes at the bottom. I really like that. I'm horrible at interviews so this will help a TON. Thanks again!
Baby lady 04:08 PM 06-17-2014
I am right now changing my hours from 7-6 to 7:30-5:30 after almost 30 years

it reflects the schedule of most of my current kids, and it want to make it official going forward
SignMeUp 04:19 PM 06-17-2014
I shall call this form Parent Interview Form. Not very creative or business-like lol

I was going to ask about the checkboxes at the bottom. I really like that. I'm horrible at interviews so this will help a TON. Thanks again!
It helps me if I keep every single thing that I know about a prospective family on one paper, until they enroll.

So the bottom boxes are:
My brochure (a trifold that I basically scrapbooked and had printed at FedEx)
2 inserts for the brochure with rates, and a list of info to bring to enrollment
(Sometimes I mail the above three items after a phone interview. Sometimes we've already set up an evening meeting and I give them out then.)
Sleep Safety for infants (I want pregnant parents to set them up correctly
from birth, so that they will be ready to come to child care)
Developmental Info (a birth-age 5 wheel that an organization here gives out
free of charge. I supplement it with one-page handouts as the child grows)
References (another trifold that I made, with stuff parents have said about
my place. I have the originals in a folder in case parents
want to see the real deal)
Policy Book (not given out until after enrollment, registration fee and deposit)

Prospective parents seem to love the tri-folds I highly recommend making one for your childcare if you haven't
I try to give them something each time we meet, but nothing overwhelming. I save overwhelming for the enrollment meeting
midaycare 04:39 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
I'm not going to lie, sometimes it gets hard when enrollment is low and I know I could be full if I extended my hours but it always works out. Up until the start of June I thought I'd only have 2 kids this summer and was freaking out trying to decide if I should stay open later or be broke.i finally decided I'd rather be broke then crazy and suddenly got a ton of calls, started 6 new kids and added 8 to my waiting list...all families that could work with my hours.
This is my concern - I haven't been open that long - just a few months, really. So far everyone really likes my program but I don't have a lot of referrals coming in yet. I was pretty full until I had a sibling set that had to leave. Parents were going to move to the area, but the new job fell through. My others are part-time, except two, but they are SA. I definitely need replacements, and I'm a little concerned if I don't have extended hours, I won't get business. Hmmm ...
midaycare 04:41 PM 06-17-2014
Okay. One more time. FYI, my pop-up opened in a small window, where the "upload" button wasn't visible. Duh, I enlarged the window and saw it

So the form will be anti-climactic after this It's nothing fancy.
Wow - that's great, thanks! So far I have been using a notepad and a pen
midaycare 04:43 PM 06-17-2014
It helps me if I keep every single thing that I know about a prospective family on one paper, until they enroll.

So the bottom boxes are:
My brochure (a trifold that I basically scrapbooked and had printed at FedEx)
2 inserts for the brochure with rates, and a list of info to bring to enrollment
(Sometimes I mail the above three items after a phone interview. Sometimes we've already set up an evening meeting and I give them out then.)
Sleep Safety for infants (I want pregnant parents to set them up correctly
from birth, so that they will be ready to come to child care)
Developmental Info (a birth-age 5 wheel that an organization here gives out
free of charge. I supplement it with one-page handouts as the child grows)
References (another trifold that I made, with stuff parents have said about
my place. I have the originals in a folder in case parents
want to see the real deal)
Policy Book (not given out until after enrollment, registration fee and deposit)

Prospective parents seem to love the tri-folds I highly recommend making one for your childcare if you haven't
I try to give them something each time we meet, but nothing overwhelming. I save overwhelming for the enrollment meeting
Great ideas! I love this forum
SignMeUp 05:19 PM 06-17-2014
This is my concern - I haven't been open that long - just a few months, really. So far everyone really likes my program but I don't have a lot of referrals coming in yet. I was pretty full until I had a sibling set that had to leave. Parents were going to move to the area, but the new job fell through. My others are part-time, except two, but they are SA. I definitely need replacements, and I'm a little concerned if I don't have extended hours, I won't get business. Hmmm ...
If I could tell you how many times I've worried ...
But I am still here, still in business, making a decent living. If everyone likes your program, you are doing well. That's where I started out If you have fall openings, let your current families know. I would do it one-to-one in conversation, but that's up to you
I have never offered a discount, never wavered in my hours (well, I do 'favors' for families who have a need, but only if I don't feel taken advantage of - once that starts, I stop ), and I hold to what I do, what I believe in, in my childcare.
I feel as if people who come here, come because they like and trust me, kwim? It is a business relationship, but unlike most business relationships. It is definitely based on personal trust.

I guess what I'm saying is, trust in yourself, trust in what you do, and they will come. I really believe it
midaycare 07:15 PM 06-17-2014
There are a few things that I think we childcare providers should change the 'standard' on. Pricing is one. The two-week-notice is another -- it is no longer reasonable.
Now I'm curious. What is not reasonable about a 2-week notice? Inquiring minds!
SignMeUp 07:32 PM 06-17-2014
Now I'm curious. What is not reasonable about a 2-week notice? Inquiring minds!
Well, maybe it's not the norm everywhere, but here, most people look at a couple dozen childcare settings So by the time they complete that process, it's a month or two until you get an answer. They expect at least a couple of visits with me, which I like also, for my own purposes and every last detail of our enrollment papers have to be filled out before children begin, so that is sometimes a process in itself. I have everything spelled out, but I can't organize their stuff I would if I could because I am the one who gets fined and written up if it isn't complete.
saved4always 11:53 AM 06-19-2014
I only took teacher's kids or families with schedules like teachers. I would be willing to start around 6:40 am but did not watch anyone past 4 pm. I didn't take anyone who could not fit these hours because that is what worked for my kids school schedules and me.
midaycare 12:10 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by saved4always:
I only took teacher's kids or families with schedules like teachers. I would be willing to start around 6:40 am but did not watch anyone past 4 pm. I didn't take anyone who could not fit these hours because that is what worked for my kids school schedules and me.
Unfortunately there are a few in home places around here that do that already. Everyone loves this woman, but fortunately she is usually full. For some reason, though, teachers seem to have a lot of family help raising their kids.
nanglgrl 12:24 PM 06-19-2014
IMO The best thing to do if you need the money and have just recently opened is to have extended hours and then to gradually cut your hours back to reflect the needs of your clients. I've done daycare twice, once 20 years ago and then again for the past 11 years. When I first started the second time I did second and third shift and didn't take any paid days off. As time when on I gradually raised my rates, added paid time off and reduced my hours. The hours reduction was the last thing I did. Let's say I had a spot open and a few people wanted it..I would accept the child that had the earlier pick up provided they were a good fit...I did that time after time and eventually only had one client here past 3:30. Now most of my clients are gone by 3:15 except one who leaves at 3:45 but they pay quite a bit more than my other families.
Also when your doing interviews feel around for what they really need. I don't advertise my early closing hours and if the right family came along that was willing to pay considerably more I would consider staying open later if they really needed me to and I really needed the money. I can't tell you how many families I've interviewed that insisted that theyd need 10-12 hours a day and then once I tell them how much that would cost compared to an earlier pick up they can miraculously find a way to pick up earlier.
Of course I think all this depends on where you live too. I live near a college and there are a lot of companies that work third shift. I get a lot of students children and children who are here while a parent sleeps after working 3rd. If it wasn't for those 2 factors I wouldn't be able to do it with just the work from home or self employed parents.
midaycare 06:06 PM 06-19-2014
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
IMO The best thing to do if you need the money and have just recently opened is to have extended hours and then to gradually cut your hours back to reflect the needs of your clients. I've done daycare twice, once 20 years ago and then again for the past 11 years. When I first started the second time I did second and third shift and didn't take any paid days off. As time when on I gradually raised my rates, added paid time off and reduced my hours. The hours reduction was the last thing I did. Let's say I had a spot open and a few people wanted it..I would accept the child that had the earlier pick up provided they were a good fit...I did that time after time and eventually only had one client here past 3:30. Now most of my clients are gone by 3:15 except one who leaves at 3:45 but they pay quite a bit more than my other families.
Also when your doing interviews feel around for what they really need. I don't advertise my early closing hours and if the right family came along that was willing to pay considerably more I would consider staying open later if they really needed me to and I really needed the money. I can't tell you how many families I've interviewed that insisted that theyd need 10-12 hours a day and then once I tell them how much that would cost compared to an earlier pick up they can miraculously find a way to pick up earlier.
Of course I think all this depends on where you live too. I live near a college and there are a lot of companies that work third shift. I get a lot of students children and children who are here while a parent sleeps after working 3rd shift. If it wasn't for those 2 factors I wouldn't be able to do it with just the work from home or self employed parents.
I have kind of changed things around. I'm still offering later hours, but the parents will have to pay more for them. Everyone who comes here states that I am the cheapest and offer the most. One couple told me I am the cheapest by $25 a week, up to the most expensive they toured, an extra $85 per week.

So I ended up charging as craftymissbeth does, only she charges per 15 minutes, and I am now charging every 30 minutes from 3:00-6:00 p.m. I have no idea how this will work out, but hopefully ... people choose the earlier times. It will be an experiment!
Atoz 05:18 AM 06-20-2014
I too am very interested in trying lower rates for earlier pick ups. Im sure the rates are put in your contracts but what if a parent wants to change their rates? How often do you allow them to do this?
Blackcat31 05:22 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by Atoz:
I too am very interested in trying lower rates for earlier pick ups. Im sure the rates are put in your contracts but what if a parent wants to change their rates? How often do you allow them to do this?
I would allow a parent to change their agreed contract time once.

In the 20+ years I have done this, I have yet to run across a parent that would need to change hours more than that.... and if they did, it would probably mean they have other issues planning and managing.

I re-new contracts annually so parents are always free to change things then but I wouldn't allow continuous changes month after month.

If that were the case, I would give them the latest pick up time I had and they would have to pay for it.
sariejohnston 06:12 AM 06-20-2014
I just moved to Texas from Missouri I have been Job searching and I have noticed almost all of the Daycares here are early 6:30am to 6:30pm. Which is odd for me because where I am from the day Cares I have worked for open at 7:30am end at 5:30pm and I had early day's like go in a 7:30 get off at 12:30 or 7:30 to 4:30 there were times I would stay until close or a little after close even but for the most part I had early days off...
BrooklynM 12:53 PM 06-20-2014
I would allow a parent to change their agreed contract time once.

In the 20+ years I have done this, I have yet to run across a parent that would need to change hours more than that.... and if they did, it would probably mean they have other issues planning and managing.

I re-new contracts annually so parents are always free to change things then but I wouldn't allow continuous changes month after month.

If that were the case, I would give them the latest pick up time I had and they would have to pay for it.
Blackcat- can you PM me the forms you use for this please? I'm updating all I my policies and I think this will be a good time to switch to this format.

Thank you !
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by BrooklynM:
Blackcat- can you PM me the forms you use for this please? I'm updating all I my policies and I think this will be a good time to switch to this format.

Thank you !
PM'ing you now.
NightOwl 03:48 PM 06-20-2014

My drop offs can be anywhere between 7-9 am. I don't allow drop offs after 9.

Pickups and the corresponding weekly rate:
3:00 $90
3:15 $95
3:30 $100
3:45 $105
4:00 $110
4:15 $115
4:30 $120
4:45 $125
5:00 $130

Drop off between 5-6 am is $5 per day per child.
Pick ups between 5-6 pm is $5 per day per child.

All of my parents chose the absolute earliest time they could get someone here to pick up so they could save some $$. Like BC said, THEY are in complete control of their rates. They get to set their budget... as long as the pick up time corresponds with what they want to pay
I may have missed it if this question has already been asked/answered. What happens when a parent arrives after their scheduled pick up time? Do you charge by the minute as if they arrived after closing time? Or do you bump the whole week up to the next time bracket? Or is there a flat daily charge for each infraction?
craftymissbeth 06:04 PM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I may have missed it if this question has already been asked/answered. What happens when a parent arrives after their scheduled pick up time? Do you charge by the minute as if they arrived after closing time? Or do you bump the whole week up to the next time bracket? Or is there a flat daily charge for each infraction?
I treat it as if my "closing time" is their pick-up time so if they show up after their contracted pick-up time then late fees start accruing.

My late fee is $5 per fifteen minutes (or portion thereof) per child.. so, yes, technically it DOES simply bump them to the next bracket, BUT I also offer much cheaper $7 per hour fee if they ask 24 hours in advance. I have one family ask me every once in awhile for that extra hour, but I've never charged them. They're my awesome family so I just use that as my way of showing my thanks to them.

ETA: Also, even though the $5 fee per fifteen minutes does bump them to the next bracket they do NOT get to use the extra time for the rest of the week. So one family is contracted until 3:00 and pays $90 per week. Another family is contracted until 3:15 and pays $95 per week and gets to use that extra 15 minutes all week. If family one shows up late one day they get charged the $5, but do NOT get to pick up at 3:15 the rest of the week. I hope that makes sense
Atoz 06:24 PM 06-20-2014
Black cat can I please have that info too. I too am switching to adjustable rates your right seems like a win-win to me too. Thank you for sharing.
NightOwl 06:30 PM 06-20-2014
Me too BC! Thanks crafty!
TickleMonster 07:19 PM 06-21-2014
To OP. Our parents we have now have jobs in which they have flexiable or can set their own hours. One works in a factory, one is a therapist, one works at the mall, and so on. Some days we get lucky and everyone is gone by 3pm. love those days! Other days though we work from 6am to 6pm. It just varies.
Tags:early drop offs
Reply Up