Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well, that Explains a Lot!
AmyLeigh 08:42 PM 04-15-2015
DCB 5 and his foster sister, 2, are currently my pickiest eaters, always asking for processed foods such as crackers, pop tarts, granola bars, etc., when it's snack time. I usually don't have those items in the house. They are really good kids, so they will eat what I give them reluctantly, but I know that they aren't always happy about it.

Today, DCD comes to pick up. DH is in the garage, working out, with the door open. We have been friends with the family for some time now, so the guys are chatting. DCD is asking DH about his workout routine, and what he has done to lose weight. DH tells him he has cut way back on sweets (his downfall) and cut out all soda and fast food.
DCD: "What? How do you cut out fast food?!?"
DH: "Just don't go get it."

Like I said, that explains a lot.
AmyKidsCo 08:48 PM 04-15-2015

Can't eat what's not in the house!
Josiegirl 02:59 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

Can't eat what's not in the house!
True true true!! It's sad that people give in to only things the child will eat. I'm having a hard time getting 1 2 yo dcg to eat many fruits, let alone veggies. She's a huge carb eater. She'll eat bananas, mandarin oranges, clementines, and applesauce. I finally got her to try pineapple yesterday and she kept asking for more. She just won't even try most things. And veggies?? Hah, forget it. Not 1 veggie. I have another almost 3 yo who is almost the same way. Then there's the 6 yo who only likes cucumbers and corn(I don't serve corn very often).

After watching this go on for awhile, I know it's because they're not served anything different.
Sugaree 05:28 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
True true true!! It's sad that people give in to only things the child will eat. I'm having a hard time getting 1 2 yo dcg to eat many fruits, let alone veggies. She's a huge carb eater. She'll eat bananas, mandarin oranges, clementines, and applesauce. I finally got her to try pineapple yesterday and she kept asking for more. She just won't even try most things. And veggies?? Hah, forget it. Not 1 veggie. I have another almost 3 yo who is almost the same way. Then there's the 6 yo who only likes cucumbers and corn(I don't serve corn very often).

After watching this go on for awhile, I know it's because they're not served anything different.
I read these things and it makes me so grateful that my kid is an adventurous eater. To the point where I've had several people ask if there's anything he DOESN'T eat. The only thing we've found so far that he just doesn't really care for is peanut butter. He's not allergic, but just doesn't really care for it.
Kabob 05:41 AM 04-16-2015
Thankfully my current group loves all their fruits and veggies. I never have leftovers anymore.. they clean their plates every day.

Soda and fast food is terrible....dh cut out soda and dropped 15 lbs without changing anything else.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Thankfully my current group loves all their fruits and veggies. I never have leftovers anymore.. they clean their plates every day.

Soda and fast food is terrible....dh cut out soda and dropped 15 lbs without changing anything else.
Same here! My kiddos ALL eat great! We go through several red, yellow and orange bell peppers during one lunch time....we grow them as part of our curriculum...but the kids cannot get enough of them.

I am grateful that my kids all eat so well as I do know a couple of them come from families that have awful eating habits...

As for fast food, when my DH got type 1 diabetes (he was NOT overweight at all...it was purely genetic) we stopped eating fast food altogether and I think its probably been about 8 years now since I've gone through ANY type of drive through (other than the bank) and I do have to say that it is an amazing feeling to not crave that stuff or want it at all.

My DS worked at Burger King through his high school years and when I couldn't wash the smell of grease and the feeling of grease on his uniform out of his clothing (using heavy duty wash cycle AND vinegar etc) I KNEW that junk like that couldn't be a good thing. Imagine what it does to your digestive system if it won't wash out of a cotton shirt?!
MsLisa 07:20 AM 04-16-2015
My personal favs are the SA kids I have who have "behavioral problems" and every other morning their parents send them in with Burger King breakfasts. And the amount of kids who eat Lunchables daily makes me cringe.
Controlled Chaos 08:29 AM 04-16-2015
I can't judge the fast food choice, I do not enjoy cooking and if we had more disposable income I would probably buy more "organic" "healthy" frozen food form trader joes or whole foods. (I do make healthy homemade meals for dcks but that burns me out for more cooking) Luckily we don't have the money to buy it or to eat out much lol. My kids definitely get fast food once every two weeks or so when we take too long at the grocery store and its way past their lunch/dinner time so I grab happy meals on the way home so they can eat while I unload and put away groceries. BUT my kids know it is a treat and know what are healthy foods for their bodies.

I DO judge parents bending to their children regarding the foods they offer. I have so many dcks that eat EVERYTHING here. I too never have leftover fruits or veggies. But the parents complain of how picky their kids are I am friends with one family (long before we had kids) and we were at their place for dinner when she commented on how she never knows what to make as her kid won't eat anything. I literally laughed out loud. Her kid happily, enthusiastically, eats several helpings of pretty much everything I serve. It is a total power play. He likes to make his parents jump and boy do they
Thriftylady 01:29 PM 04-16-2015
This thread and my picky eater who often comes in and eats one tiny bite of snack and doesn't like it, caused me to ask them today.

I asked "do you cook and eat at home or do you eat out a lot?"
DCB "We mostly eat out because we can't cook at home"
Me "What do you mean you can't cook at home?"
DCB "well we could cook at home but we don't have the food on hand, except daddy likes to make fudge we buy the stuff for that".
ME: "So you guys eat out every night for dinner?"
DCG: "just sometimes but we don't cook at home alot".

Explains a ton doesn't it? I am not totally anti fast food or eating out, but they put stuff in that food to make you want more, and I really believe to much of it makes us fat and kills us bit by bit.
daycare 01:38 PM 04-16-2015
I have a food questionaire that I hand out at interview time, this gives me an idea of what kind of eaters the families are.

i stopped taking the junk food kids and the FFF fast food families

I get it, people work and are tired when they get home. But really how hard is it to throw together a salad, veggie salad, fruit salad.

You can buy the bag salads and add what you want , now that is what I call fast food .....
Thriftylady 01:45 PM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a food questionaire that I hand out at interview time, this gives me an idea of what kind of eaters the families are.

I get it, people work and are tired when they get home. But really how hard is it to throw together a salad, veggie salad, fruit salad.

You can buy the bag salads and add what you want , now that is what I call fast food .....
Totally agree. And the two in my post, their mom doesn't go to work until 10 am a lot of mornings. The crockpot is my friend for a "fast" healthy meal.

ETA: Daycare would you mind sharing your form?
daycare 01:59 PM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Totally agree. And the two in my post, their mom doesn't go to work until 10 am a lot of mornings. The crockpot is my friend for a "fast" healthy meal.

ETA: Daycare would you mind sharing your form?
yeah PM me and I will share with you my enrollment form....
Thriftylady 02:38 PM 04-16-2015
Thanks!
daycarediva 03:14 PM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:

This is what I did tonight. A rotisserie chicken from the grocery store (organic and only 7.99!), a bag of mixed greens and apples. It cost me under $15 for a family of 6. You CAN'T eat out for that price.

Yesterday I tossed some organic pasta in a pot, then sautéed it with spinach and cannellini beans and garlic. Easily under $10, all organic, fed a family of 6.

I work WAY longer hours than my daycare parents. NO excuses.
Kabob 03:40 PM 04-16-2015
Eating out is super expensive and it just isn't as good as a home-cooked meal. I'm just picky about restaurant food, I guess. My dh and I used to work at a restaurant (that's how we met) so I hate eating out mainly because I know most of that food was frozen in individual portions and then just reheated in a microwave. For the price I'm paying, that makes me mad...I can have a fresh meal for everyone for so much less. So, when I do eat out, I try to order things that are more difficult for me to make at home. No way I'm ordering spaghetti.

As for fast food...yeah...you get what you pay for. I've also worked in fast food...I never felt good about the food I was serving. I understand people travel or are under a time crunch...but avoid it if you can...I could tell you horror stories about the grease traps that we had to clean daily (or more often during busy times).
Thriftylady 03:50 PM 04-16-2015
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Eating out is super expensive and it just isn't as good as a home-cooked meal. I'm just picky about restaurant food, I guess. My dh and I used to work at a restaurant (that's how we met) so I hate eating out mainly because I know most of that food was frozen in individual portions and then just reheated in a microwave. For the price I'm paying, that makes me mad...I can have a fresh meal for everyone for so much less. So, when I do eat out, I try to order things that are more difficult for me to make at home. No way I'm ordering spaghetti.

As for fast food...yeah...you get what you pay for. I've also worked in fast food...I never felt good about the food I was serving. I understand people travel or are under a time crunch...but avoid it if you can...I could tell you horror stories about the grease traps that we had to clean daily (or more often during busy times).
My daughter works in fast food. She only works weekends, but she informed me the other day she is going to start taking her lunch. It will likely cost me more than her employee meal depending what she takes, but it will be better for her at least.
Reply Up