Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transition From High Chair To Child Size Table
Unregistered 07:16 AM 12-11-2017
What age do you no longer put children in a high chair? What skills do you require they have mastered before sitting older infants at the table with older children?
jenboo 08:14 AM 12-11-2017
I don't use high chairs at all. Once the infant is crawling and can sit up, i put them in the tiny infant/toddler chairs at the table. Sometimes i have to wait a little longer depending on the child but it is usually between 8-10 months
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 12-11-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I don't use high chairs at all. Once the infant is crawling and can sit up, i put them in the tiny infant/toddler chairs at the table. Sometimes i have to wait a little longer depending on the child but it is usually between 8-10 months
Same here.
I ditched the highchair and use only child sized chairs.
Some require booster seats on those as well but that option allows them to be AT the table with others vs being in the high chair away from the group table or parked next to it but not really part of it...kwim?

When they make that transition is definitely dependent on the child's development.
Pestle 08:38 AM 12-11-2017
I don't use high chairs, either. I have a couple of the Me Do It chairs from Community Playthings for the really little toddlers and a Mamas and Papas Baby Snug chair for the ones who need support.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:24 PM 12-11-2017
Usually around 1 year when they drop the bottle and are on the same meal schedule as everyone else. I continue to use a "booster" type seat with a seat belt for awhile though. The only skills they really have at that point are self feeding. And I use plates/bowls with suction cups on the bottle until they learn not to toss them on the floor (usually only a couple weeks or less). Other than that, they pick up so much from just being a part of the group.
Jamie 04:26 AM 12-12-2017
I have four DCKs. Each has a Stokke Tripp Trapp chair specifically set for him/her. They climb up and down on their own, except for my little dude who still uses the baby set with the chair. He is my only non-walker and the only one still with baby set. I feel like when they are secure walkers, their balance is good enough for me to remove their baby set.
hwichlaz 07:29 AM 12-12-2017
The little chairs and table are in our playroom, so when I notice they can sit in a little chair without falling over pretty reliably I start trying them at snack time. The only “skill” required is the ability to NOT take food from the plates of other children and loss of that toddler clumsiness that makes them accidentally flip bowls etc when using them.
Tags:transitioning - high chair to chair, transitioning - high chair to table
Reply Up