Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Go About Getting a Sub?
has_my_heart 10:29 AM 01-30-2015
I'd like to have one or two subs on standby. I'd like to start by asking people I know but it seems unprofessional to ask on Facebook if anyone is interested... I dunno. How did you go about finding, interviewing, and hiring a sub?
Controlled Chaos 12:24 PM 01-30-2015
I will be following this. I want to hire a sub too, but leaving the kids with someone is such a scary thing! Which is funny, because I am a someone people leave their kids with....but I am awesome
CraftyMom 12:44 PM 01-30-2015
I need one too...I wish there were some sort of group or something of certified assistants in my area

I have a hard time with letting someone in my house while I am gone, and being alone with the kids of course
permanentvacation 01:03 PM 01-30-2015
I think advertising for a substitute on your Facebook is a great idea! Since (I'm assuming) you know your Facebook friends personally, you should feel safer about leaving them with your daycare kids and your home by themselves. You could post something like, "Substitute needed at my licensed home daycare. This would be an on call, as needed position. It would be a great job for a stay at home mom or college student who wants to make some extra money on occasion." Or you could make it more personal such as, "Hey guys, I need a little help at my daycare for days that I need to go the dentist/doctor, etc. If you'd like to make a little extra money working with the kids as a substitute for me, give me a call."

I have had 3 substitutes ( one at a time ) in my 25 years of doing daycare. I loved each one of them.

The first one was actually one of my daycare parents. She had previously been a nursing assistant who decided to try to get clerical work so she could work Monday - Friday, 9-5. However, she had no clerical skills, so she got fired or quit jobs almost every 2 weeks! When she left the job early, she'd come to get her child from daycare and we would get to talking. She'd naturally help with a child as I was working with another. I saw that she was good with kids and offered her a job working part-time for me. She worked for me for years and I never had a problem with her.

After moving, I kept having people call and ask if I was hiring. Typically those calls irritate me. But for some reason, I finally said that I might be hiring and scheduled an interview with some random 18 year old who was looking for work. She loved kids and loved doing arts and crafts (which I'm not so good at), so I hired her. She worked for a few months until she found a better paying job. I never thought I would hire someone I didn't know, but I never had a problem with her. However, since I didn't know her personally, I never left her alone in my house. I just had her work as a helper while I was home. I'm sure if she had not left for more money elsewhere, eventually I would have felt comfortable leaving her alone with the kids while I went out.

My third and current substitute is my daughter's best friend's mother. She was a stay at home mother who I got to know through our girls. After getting to know her a little and feeling comfortable that she wouldn't steal from me or purposely hurt the children, I asked her if she'd like to make some extra money working for me on occasion when I needed to go to the doctor's, dentists, or wanted to be able to watch my personal children's sports games. She's worked for me for about 6 years now.
permanentvacation 01:06 PM 01-30-2015
Even for the 2 subs I was going to leave the kids with by themselves, of course I paid them to work for a few hours every day for the first 2 weeks so I could train them. I had them work different hours each day so they would know what to do whenever I actually needed them to work. For example, you wouldn't only train them for breakfast and morning circle time, then out of the blue, hire them for lunch and nap time. They wouldn't know what to do for lunch or nap.
has_my_heart 12:27 PM 01-31-2015
Great info thank you so much!! I do know my Facebook friends which is why I wanted to start there so I'm glad to hear it's an OK approach, it is a social network name of business am I right? I appreciate all of the input!!
Indianadaycare 08:46 AM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I think advertising for a substitute on your Facebook is a great idea! Since (I'm assuming) you know your Facebook friends personally, you should feel safer about leaving them with your daycare kids and your home by themselves. You could post something like, "Substitute needed at my licensed home daycare. This would be an on call, as needed position. It would be a great job for a stay at home mom or college student who wants to make some extra money on occasion." Or you could make it more personal such as, "Hey guys, I need a little help at my daycare for days that I need to go the dentist/doctor, etc. If you'd like to make a little extra money working with the kids as a substitute for me, give me a call."

I have had 3 substitutes ( one at a time ) in my 25 years of doing daycare. I loved each one of them.

The first one was actually one of my daycare parents. She had previously been a nursing assistant who decided to try to get clerical work so she could work Monday - Friday, 9-5. However, she had no clerical skills, so she got fired or quit jobs almost every 2 weeks! When she left the job early, she'd come to get her child from daycare and we would get to talking. She'd naturally help with a child as I was working with another. I saw that she was good with kids and offered her a job working part-time for me. She worked for me for years and I never had a problem with her.

After moving, I kept having people call and ask if I was hiring. Typically those calls irritate me. But for some reason, I finally said that I might be hiring and scheduled an interview with some random 18 year old who was looking for work. She loved kids and loved doing arts and crafts (which I'm not so good at), so I hired her. She worked for a few months until she found a better paying job. I never thought I would hire someone I didn't know, but I never had a problem with her. However, since I didn't know her personally, I never left her alone in my house. I just had her work as a helper while I was home. I'm sure if she had not left for more money elsewhere, eventually I would have felt comfortable leaving her alone with the kids while I went out.

My third and current substitute is my daughter's best friend's mother. She was a stay at home mother who I got to know through our girls. After getting to know her a little and feeling comfortable that she wouldn't steal from me or purposely hurt the children, I asked her if she'd like to make some extra money working for me on occasion when I needed to go to the doctor's, dentists, or wanted to be able to watch my personal children's sports games. She's worked for me for about 6 years now.
What helpful information! Thanks so much! I, too, am looking for subs. I found one through a closed group on Facebook of local child care providers. I asked around in that group, and got the name of a trustworthy woman who used to run her own daycare, but now enjoys calling her own hours and days. She is always in demand.
Another idea maybe is to call local churches who have a daycare and see if they will provide names of subs or give your contact info to their subs.
Tags:substitute
Reply Up