Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Grass
daycare 08:42 AM 03-10-2015
ugh....hope someone can help.

my grass is taking a dive. First reason is that here in Cali we are in a huge drought and I can not water it right now. It's been warm in the past months, but now it's getting HOT, 82 yesterday and not a breeze in the sky.

Hopefully the water ban will be lifted a little to help keep my grass alive, but it's not really the lack of water so much as it is the kids playing on it daily.

We only have about 1000sf of grass to play in, the rest is patio and a huge garden, also huge woodchip area with sandbox 30x30.

the kids playing on it is what is killing it, (so my gardeners tell me)

I am renting this house and when I moved in the grass was beautiful, very thick and green. We did have some gopher issues, which have been resolved, but now half of the yard the grass is just GONE.

I talked to my gardeners about fixing it and they quoted me a LOW affordable quote of $4200.

Yeah that is not going to happen.

Does any one have this issue? what kind of grass do you have and how do you keep it with all of the kids playing on it.

Oh and I should let you know that I have 12-14 kids daily who play there for about a total of 2-3 hours a day.

I can't afford to replace the entire lawn, any other ideas??
Baby lady 09:17 AM 03-10-2015
I'm in California too. I finally gave up on my all dirt backyard (I couldn't even find a gardener that would plant grass, they all said it wouldn't last) and put in fake grass.

Yes it was expensive, but I really love the backyard now!

Sorry, I know this is no help

Before:

After:

daycare 09:20 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by Baby lady:
I'm in California too. I finally gave up on my all dirt backyard (I couldn't even find a gardener that would plant grass, they all said it wouldn't last) and put in fake grass.

Yes it was expensive, but I really love the backyard now!

Sorry, I know this is no help

Before:

After:

OMG I am soooo jealous.... I wish I could put in artificial grass, that would be the way to go, but with only renting the house, I don't want to put that much money into it.

BUT I guess I would have to look into the fact that I won't have to pay anyone to care for it, won't have to pay to maintenance it and most of all water it. I might have to sit down and do the math because as of right now, I will have to replace it when I leave and spend the $4200.00

Do you mind me asking how much you had to spend to do that?
Gemma 09:45 AM 03-10-2015
Looks beautiful!
Baby lady 09:50 AM 03-10-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
OMG I am soooo jealous.... I wish I could put in artificial grass, that would be the way to go, but with only renting the house, I don't want to put that much money into it.

BUT I guess I would have to look into the fact that I won't have to pay anyone to care for it, won't have to pay to maintenance it and most of all water it. I might have to sit down and do the math because as of right now, I will have to replace it when I leave and spend the $4200.00

Do you mind me asking how much you had to spend to do that?
It was more than your $4200 for the grass, but it included the new brick path, too

I'd have to find the paperwork to figure out how much just the grass was.

I think when I looked a couple years ago I had quotes of anywhere from $2000 to $5000 for just as all portion of the yard.

It might be worth getting quotes to see if you could get some done reasonably
Gemma 09:56 AM 03-10-2015
Does it fade under the sun? ...cause I'm thinking the price isn't bad, if you start adding the savings for not having to upkeep
KiddieCahoots 09:56 AM 03-10-2015
We have the same colored playhouses!
When my son picked out those colors, I thought.....oh wow! Okay.......(and apologized to my next door neighbors )
Surprisingly, I love it! And continued the same colors onto the swing set/climb structure.
Looks like Little Tikesville
jenboo 10:14 AM 03-10-2015
I'm going to guess that the no water is most of the issue.... Kids playing on grass that is dying and weak sounds like a disaster.
I have over 1800 sq ft of grass in Vegas. I purchased sod and installed it ourselves. It's a drought tolerant Bermuda blend. I can always tell when an area has a broken sprinkler because the grass starts dying quickly. A little water and it springs back to life.
Baby lady 04:06 PM 03-10-2015
It was the drought that finally pushed me to the decision to do the artificial grass. I'd been thinking for years that I might actually try to grow grass.

I wanted to do something in the yard that would look good even if I didn't continue to do daycare.....

but then my daughter had a baby ... so we built a sandbox again, too
Reply Up