Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oil Spills on My Driveway
MsKara 04:34 AM 07-07-2010
Go figure, EVERY single parent's car leaks oil. My husband has been very forthright with telling each parent in the kindest way possible. He even puts down cardboard for them to drive over which they NEVER use. So he's always out powerwashing our driveway and it is starting to look TERRIBLE because you can't get all the oil spills up. Anyone else have this issue? I know it doesn't apply to gravel driveways, but for those who have paved driveways.... Should I add this to my contract (that you can't have leaking oil HAHA)
JenNJ 05:32 AM 07-07-2010
I would tell them they are not allowed to park in the driveway unti the leaks are fixed. That is so disrespectful for them to continue to do it after you speaking with them.
safechner 05:38 AM 07-07-2010
I would tell them to park on the street front of your house so it will helpful. I wouldn't allowed them to park on my driveway. That is odd they haven't gotten their leaks oil fixed, I guess it must be older car.
Daycare Mommy 05:49 AM 07-07-2010
I wouldn't let them park in the driveway until it is fixed. The fact that every parent's car leaks oil makes it easy. Just block the driveway with your car, so they have to park in the street.
Aya477 07:30 AM 07-07-2010
Ms. Kara---try muriatic acid to wash the concrete. As it is an acid, care to protect your skin, face, eyes, etc will need to be taken. It works like a charm though!
Janet 12:38 PM 07-07-2010
My husband freaks out over oil spots, but I never even notice them. Sadly, it's probably my husbands car that's leaking the oil!!! He was losing his mind the other day because he saw a wet spot on the driveway, but he forgot that I dumped out the contents of a can of orange pop about an hour earlier...silly man!
tenderhearts 01:33 PM 07-07-2010
Yes I had this issue not too long ago. I nicely told them to please not pull in the driveway, which they complied with. I did add it to my "new" contract that if their car leaks oil to please not park in the driveway, we paid about $4500 about 4 years ago to have a new driveway put it. Seems silly but you pretty much have to "spell" it out for some people LOL
Lucy 12:18 PM 07-08-2010
Put an orange cone or two at the beginning of your driveway and leave it there during drop off and pick up times, or even all day. Or maybe after hubby leaves until hubby comes home. Make them park in the street.
missnikki 12:30 PM 07-08-2010
Actually, gasoline poured on it will help lift the stain. Odd but true! (My DH's dad is a mechanic)
MarinaVanessa 02:02 PM 07-08-2010
Hmm, when I took my daughter to daycare I would feel strange parking in the driveway. That's nice that you offer door to door parking though. Our driveway is in the back though (condo) so I don't have that problem but in your case I think that if you havn't already discussed it directly with them you should do it now (and not in the kindest way possible).

If I had a regular driveway I'd be peeved. The thought of blocking the entire driveway with my car so that no one could park there comes to mind. And a notice to all families explaining that due to reocurring leaks on the driveway even after discussing this with SOME of the parents NONE of the parents will be able to use the driveway. Maybe then they'd get the hint. After a few weeks I'd put out another notice saying that I would be removing my car and that if another leak happens that parent will be responsible for a cleaning fee of XX amount of dollars. I mean c'mon. Hubby even laid out cardboard and still they don't use it? Sheesh.
misol 03:51 PM 07-08-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Put an orange cone or two at the beginning of your driveway and leave it there during drop off and pick up times, or even all day. Or maybe after hubby leaves until hubby comes home. Make them park in the street.
I added a clause in my parent handbook about not parking in the driveway. Of course none of the parents honor it. I don't have a problem with cars leaking oil (yet). My problem is that my husband leaves and arrives from work at different times and there have been many occasions where he had to wait to get in or out of our garage because a parent was parked in or blocking the driveway at drop-off or pick-up.

I got some small orange cones at a garage sale the other day. I usually don't come downstairs until I see the first parent's car pull up. So I was thinking that it is going to be a hassle for me (or hubby) to try to put them out before the first family arrives, remove them when hubby leaves, replace them, remove them when hubby returns, etc. etc. Ugh!
MsKara 06:15 PM 07-08-2010
I appreciate all the answers about not parking in the driveway. Unfortunately I live on a very steep hill and if the parents had to walk up that every morning with their children it would be a nightmare. I would feel so terrible making them do that. On the other hand, I had a parent make me EXTREMELY happy today. He pulled a piece of cardboard out of the back of his car and put it under there when he picked up his kids. I was so thrilled that there are still descent people in the world today who care!! I praised him VERY highly for it. Now if I could just get the other parents to understand too. I'm about to cover my whole driveway with cardboard. HAHA
Chickenhauler 04:31 PM 07-09-2010
Regular old floor dry.

Spread it down, grind it in with your foot, and sweep it up.

Works just fine in my shop, and I make messes in there that are only topped by oil company disasters.
Tags:oil on driveway, stains
Reply Up