Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snowboot Rant
MomBoss 04:48 AM 11-02-2017
Every year I have parents who dont understand what snow boots are or whats appropriate for snow. They bring ugg boots, timberlands, rainboots, things like that. They argue that its waterproof but thats not the entire point (and your childs foot would not be wet if that were true)..they need a boot thats insulated and keeps the foot warm for long period of time! Do parents not understand this?? Im tired of kids whining that they are cold or that their hands are wet and freezing because their parents dont understand what waterproof gloves are either! Ah!
Rant over..
Should i stop caring and if they freeze they freeze? I tired telling the parent?
lovemykidstoo 04:56 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Every year I have parents who dont understand what snow boots are or whats appropriate for snow. They bring ugg boots, timberlands, rainboots, things like that. They argue that its waterproof but thats not the entire point (and your childs foot would not be wet if that were true)..they need a boot thats insulated and keeps the foot warm for long period of time! Do parents not understand this?? Im tired of kids whining that they are cold or that their hands are wet and freezing because their parents dont understand what waterproof gloves are either! Ah!
Rant over..
Should i stop caring and if they freeze they freeze? I tired telling the parent?
Yup! lol. It is so frustrating. I think honestly that every parent should do 2 days job shadowing us. They would have a whole new appreciation. I hate it when I have 6 kids and 5 kids have all winter apparel and child 6 has nothing. Then what do you do, make the one freeze or punish 5 others.
finsup 06:24 AM 11-02-2017
I got so sick of the winter gear issues so I switched to supplying it. I buy most everything second hand so it's not that much (I also have a small group) or just save my kids old stuff that goes to daycare kiddos. Mostly it was due to a parent who's kids didn't want to go outside in winter so therefore she never sent winter gear so we "couldn't." I didn't have the backbone then that I do now, but she's very lucky she pulled that on me when I was just starting out Now everything is supplied, kept here, washed weekly, everything fits and if something gets lost it only bothers me.
You could also try having the parents supply a set for daycare before you start really needing it. So then if they send non-winter boots you can refuse, and say they need to have real ones by x date or you will turn away/call for pick up before outdoor time etc.
rosieteddy 06:37 AM 11-02-2017
I gave parents a date Nov 15th to supply a snowsuit boots hats and gloves.I f they did not I would purchase and a 50.00 fee was applied.Everyone needed to leave supplies at DC then I washed when necessary .Often parents left out grown items here I would then use for anyone needing and charge the fee. It worked I would pick up gloves and hats when on sale and keep here.Parents never got that it was cold at 19 am and not warm till we were in for lunch and nap.
Snowmom 07:11 AM 11-02-2017
Rant over..
No, most don't understand. Many are more concerned about the "cute factor" than the necessity.

What I hate is the coats that have broken or stuck zippers. I mean, c'mon. I'm trying to teach self-help skills here and you're making it really hard!
Blackcat31 08:16 AM 11-02-2017
No, don't do that... any time you accept a child into care you are assuming liability for them. If you take them outside and they get frostbite, it's on you. Even if the parent was the dummy.

Instead, explain to them exactly what you want/need. Turn them away at the door if they are not properly prepared. Explain that licensing requires outdoor time and since the liability falls onto you during the day, you have no choice but to insist they have the proper gear or you can't let them stay. Give them the # to licensing if necessary.

Or, supply stuff yourself like some others do.

It's really the only options.

TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:55 AM 11-02-2017
I tend to keep spares. As previous poster said, thrift store or hand me downs. And I just supplement as necessary. Right now I have one kid that I keep my own set of hat and gloves for because mom never sends them. In the past I've been known to send pictures of Suzy playing outside in my sons hand me down bibs, because I know Suzy's parents would be more bothered by Suzy in boys bibs than my repeated reminders. Basically, I don't mind using what I have here of they don't mind their kids wearing it. But...I only have 4 dcks and I mostly have "those" families that would worry about cuteness first.
daycarediva 09:09 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Yup! lol. It is so frustrating. I think honestly that every parent should do 2 days job shadowing us. They would have a whole new appreciation. I hate it when I have 6 kids and 5 kids have all winter apparel and child 6 has nothing. Then what do you do, make the one freeze or punish 5 others.
Nope. I punish the parent. I refuse them at the door or call for pick up.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
No, don't do that... any time you accept a child into care you are assuming liability for them. If you take them outside and they get frostbite, it's on you. Even if the parent was the dummy.

Instead, explain to them exactly what you want/need. Turn them away at the door if they are not properly prepared. Explain that licensing requires outdoor time and since the liability falls onto you during the day, you have no choice but to insist they have the proper gear or you can't let them stay. Give them the # to licensing if necessary.

Or, supply stuff yourself like some others do.

It's really the only options.

Yup. I put the problem with who created it, the parent.
MomBoss 09:39 AM 11-02-2017
Its sad that a parent would care more about missing work (having the threat of being sent back home for not having gear) than wanting to make sure their child is warm and comfortable
Tags:grandstanding, proud mom, snowbooting
Reply Up