Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Respect For Home Daycare Providers...
BigMama 09:11 PM 12-17-2011
My good friend (who works at a child care center) had her annual holiday party this evening. She and I used to work together before I opened my home daycare. Well, people were mingling and one gentleman asked me how I knew the hostess. I told him that we used to work together at "ABC" child care center. He followed-up by asking me what I currently did. I proudly said that I operate a home-based daycare. He then asked how many children I care for and I said six. His eyes bulged and he asked what ages I cared for. I told him. He then repeatedly said, "Wow! Six kids! Wow, I can't imagine!" I know his children are in my friend's class at the daycare center (and thus he is familiar with daycare) so I just smiled. He then said, "It's just you with six kids! Wow, the kids must just have to take care of each other!" Excuse me? Ugh! Seriously?! I never can think of anything clever to say in these situations. I mean, how rude! I hate how home daycare providers are seen as lazy, neglectful people. I know we all hear horror stories, but most child care providers I know truly do care for the children in their charge, take pride in their work, and work harder than many other "professional" people. Where is the respect?
cheerfuldom 09:26 PM 12-17-2011
That just ignorance on his part. I am guessing that the daycare center has at least twice, possible three or four times as many kids per one teacher.
Sunchimes 06:02 AM 12-18-2011
My husband and I have run our own business, of one sort or another, for over 30 years. We spent the last 17 running a business here in this little town. We had to close a year ago, and apparently, being self employed for 30 years doesn't give you marketable skills. I couldn't find a job anywhere!

Home daycare had been in the back of my mind for years (well, not home care, but opening a center.) So that's what I'm doing. And while I'm not making enough money to live on, that's my fault for not demanding more.

I learned right at first that if you tell people what you do, they either look at you with pity or make a snide remark. Even my own family made a comment like "I didn't think you'd have to do something like that," or "Why didn't you start another business?" I went through a period of months that I was ashamed of what I'm doing. And I'm still fighting that a bit, which makes me so angry.

I hold lives and futures in my hands. I provide an essential service. What jobs wouldn't get done if it weren't for day care providers--teachers, nurses, retail? Even one of my parents calls me her daughter's "babysitter".

As so many of you have said, we need backbones and we need to demand the respect that our careers deserve. I'm working on the backbone part, and I'm working on holding my head up and being proud of the service business I operate.
Sugar Magnolia 07:38 AM 12-18-2011
I respect you. I respect ALL of you Home Daycare ladies. Immensely!!! You are as much a professional as any center owner/director. That guy was jerky. I'm sorry he said that stuff to you. People who care for kids in a loving, productive way are all professionals, regardless if their license says "center" or "home". Part of my mission being on this forum is to promote positive views of centers too. Sometimes centers get a bad rap here. We're "good guys" too. That guy had a bad attitude. ((((Hugs of Respect)))))
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 12-18-2011
I agree and it is often a mentality that annoys me. However, I truely believe the reason that so many people do not have respect for home child care providers is because there is relatively no skills required to become a provider.

I am NOT saying it isn't tough to actually do the job or that many providers do not go above and beyond to have quality programs because it IS tough and there are many providers who go above and beyond.

It is just that to initially become licensed and call yourself a home child care provider, there are very little requirements in regards to training, skills and/or education.

IMPO, that is why the respect is not there.
CheekyChick 08:25 AM 12-18-2011
You have to remember this man is probably incapable of making breakfast for his own child. He can't fathom how one woman could care for six children by herself. He just doesn't get how capable you and all of us providers are. You can't blame him for his utter ignorance.
Crystal 08:48 AM 12-18-2011
Try calling your program a "Home Based Early Care and Education Program" and see if people change their attitude.....it's funny how a title can change a person's perception

Hey Sugar, thanks.
BigMama 09:00 AM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree and it is often a mentality that annoys me. However, I truely believe the reason that so many people do not have respect for home child care providers is because there is relatively no skills required to become a provider.

I am NOT saying it isn't tough to actually do the job or that many providers do not go above and beyond to have quality programs because it IS tough and there are many providers who go above and beyond.

It is just that to initially become licensed and call yourself a home child care provider, there are very little requirements in regards to training, skills and/or education.

I think you are right . In my state, after you file all of the required paperwork, all you really need to open a home based child care is a background check, CPR/ first Aid training, an initial health and safety course that is VERY basic, and a home inspection by the State. Anyone can truly do it. I know that the parents in my program appreciate that I have an Early Childhood Education degree, but to the outside world, I am a "baby-sitter." I try to promote professionalism in our field, but I think that I could do better. Something to work on in the new year.
Thanks Sugar! I respect child care providers too!
Great idea Crystal!
Sunchimes 10:19 AM 12-18-2011
I like that Crystal! May I use it on my business cards?

Blackcat, in Texas, to have 3 kids, all you need is a background check and a $20 fee. No CPR or first aid or inspection.

BigMama, when I was interviewing parents, I made a point to let them know that I have a degree in Home Economics-emphasis on early childhood and an elementary education certification. I worked in the university child care center for 2 years. But, I'm still the babysitter. Now that I see that I can make a go of this, I need to start joining the professional organizations. I was thinking last night of trying to get some sort of association going here, but I'm not a very good leader or organizer. All goals for 2012.
daycare 11:14 AM 12-18-2011

we were just talking about how scary it is that you DO NOT have to pass a text, you DO NOT have to have any formal education and you DO NOT have to take any major classes or training to become an IN home daycare provider.

I think that you are right that when you say this is why people look down on us.

When people ask what I do, I tell them I play toys all day......... they all look at me strange
Ariana 01:58 PM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
we were just talking about how scary it is that you DO NOT have to pass a text, you DO NOT have to have any formal education and you DO NOT have to take any major classes or training to become an IN home daycare provider.

I think that you are right that when you say this is why people look down on us.

When people ask what I do, I tell them I play toys all day......... they all look at me strange
Yes it's sad. Here in Canada I can run my home based daycare completely unlicensed. Absolutely no one checks on me or inspected my home to see if it was suitable for children nothing!! It boggles my mind really.

I'm educated in my field and there are always people who will look down on you and there are people who admire what I do immensely. I choose to just listen to the people who respect me for what I do.
Blackcat31 03:43 PM 12-18-2011
One thing I make a point of doing is listing in my handbook every single course, or training I have taken so that parents can actually see how much above and beyond I do go. I list the name of the course, how many hours/semesters/or days the course was and keep adding to this list as I hand out new contracts/handbook up-dates each year. (kind of like a resume on the "about the provider" page)

I also make a point of listing courses and trainings I have completed each month in a monthly newsletter. I sometime write about little tid bits of things I learned in a class so parents can share the knowledge too.

I don't do it for the recognition but for the respect I deserve for what I do. I always want parents to be aware of what I put into this business and my program. I want them to see that for me, the learning is on-going and that I am NOT just a babysitter.

Sometimes I feel like I am asking for attention by listing these things but how else do we educated our clients? More often than not, the lack of education on the parents part about what some providers do to run a quality program is why they have no respect.
mac60 05:42 PM 12-18-2011
One thing I have learned over the years is to answer nosy questions with vague answers. How many kids do you care for? A small group, or a few, or it varies day to day. Bottom line....not his business, nor anyone elses how many kids I care for. When people ask that.....I can just imagine their brains going....4 kids x $85 == *** per week, and so on....oh you make lots of money. Nope, I don't answer that question anymore. I would never ask someone "What they got paid for their job per hour or per week, I only expect the same.
PitterPatter 06:30 PM 12-18-2011
One thing I make a point of doing is listing in my handbook every single course, or training I have taken so that parents can actually see how much above and beyond I do go. I list the name of the course, how many hours/semesters/or days the course was and keep adding to this list as I hand out new contracts/handbook up-dates each year. (kind of like a resume on the "about the provider" page)

I also make a point of listing courses and trainings I have completed each month in a monthly newsletter. I sometime write about little tid bits of things I learned in a class so parents can share the knowledge too.

I don't do it for the recognition but for the respect I deserve for what I do. I always want parents to be aware of what I put into this business and my program. I want them to see that for me, the learning is on-going and that I am NOT just a babysitter.

Sometimes I feel like I am asking for attention by listing these things but how else do we educated our clients? More often than not, the lack of education on the parents part about what some providers do to run a quality program is why they have no respect.

WOW such a great idea!! Thanks cat I will have to use that! TY!

I hate being "just a babysitter" If I just sat and watched the kids play all day fine but I do teach them the basics, I do help with homework after school, I do things WITH them. When I hear babysitter I think of a teenager sitting on the sofa texting watching Mtv or something lol
Blackcat31 07:59 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:

WOW such a great idea!! Thanks cat I will have to use that! TY!

I hate being "just a babysitter" If I just sat and watched the kids play all day fine but I do teach them the basics, I do help with homework after school, I do things WITH them. When I hear babysitter I think of a teenager sitting on the sofa texting watching Mtv or something lol
No problem! I really believe that if we, as providers want respect then it is part of our jobs to educate others about the jobs we do.

Instead of newsletters sent out telling the parents about what their child did all month, why not send out newsletters telling them what YOU did? Why not state that you spent 12-15 hours carefully planning healthy nutritious menus and preparing meals, why not tell them you went on a shopping trip and spent 2 hours collecting and planning how to implement an art/craft activity that teaches the kids their shapes or whatever. Why not tell parents how YOU spend your time and exactly what you are doing?

Parents (and non-parents) will never understand, appreciate or respect what we do if they don't know what we do....kwim? We come here and post about positive and negative things about our jobs, yet the parents don't really ever see that part of us. They honestly just see things from their perspectives. Nothing wrong with that because they have never been in our shoes, but I can sure give them a taste ya know?

For example a couple things in my newletter for December are:

Miss C just wants to share how excited I am about our upcoming art/crafts this month. After spending a great deal of time and money over the last two weekends looking for the just the right things for these projects, I finally found the age appropriate materials to meet each and every child's developmental needs! Please be on the look out for these items to be coming home with your child in the next few weeks.

Miss C would also like to share that this month I has completed an additional 4 hours of training about social conflicts and workable solutions in child care settings.

If any one has any questions about these news items, please feel free to talk with me as I love sharing anything I have learned that could be beneficial to your child and family.
BigMama 08:09 AM 12-19-2011

Love love love this!
Ariana 08:32 AM 12-19-2011

YES!!!! I prominantly display my ECE diploma in a frame on the daycare wall and love that it says "Honours" on it The child care network I'm a part of also has workshops on how to 'sell yourself' and a big part of it is displaying all thr workshops you've done in a nice portfolio to show parents. I already have 5 certificates since joining last year plus I'm taking a degree program to compliment my diploma. Like many of you on here this isn't a hobby for me, it's a career!
Zoe 09:06 AM 12-19-2011
Yes, this absolutely is my career and I love it so much. The problem I'm running into is that I had wanted to be an elementary teacher since I was 5 years old. It was my dream. But after 5 years of going nowhere, finances and whatnot forced me to reevaluate my priorities for my family. I started daycare and never looked back. I actually love daycare MORE than being a teacher and I don't consider my education a waste at all. I use it every day! I'm still a teacher, I just cater to a younger crowd!

Parts of my family have questioned when I will be going back, giving hints of teacher openings, mentioning that my license will be expiring soon...it bugs me, but when they see my face light up as I tell them about a fun trip we went on, or an achievement of a child, it helps them to see just how happy I am and how seriously I treat my business.

And for those who look down on what I do....psssshhhhh. Whatever. I am providing for my family, I get to be home with my kids, and I love what I'm doing. Who can say the same??! Not a lot of those who look down on me, that's for sure.
MarinaVanessa 11:19 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Try calling your program a "Home Based Early Care and Education Program" and see if people change their attitude.....it's funny how a title can change a person's perception

Hey Sugar, thanks.
It seems so silly to me that someone could have less respect for someone else simply because of the title that you give them. I once met a man at a friends BBQ that asked me what I did for a living. I told him I was a child care provider and he said "Oh, so you're a babysitter". We then got into a discussion about the differences between child care provider, babysitter, au-pair, nanny etc. He was so rude and kept saying that it was just another term for an overglorified housewife or babysitter. I asked him what he did and he said he was a maintenence technician to which I replied "Oh, so you're a janitor". He shut-up real quick.
Springdaze 01:16 PM 12-19-2011
I just tell people (when it doesnt matter) that I own a preschool. Not a lie!
Tags:parents - disrespect, respect
Reply Up