Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Uncontrollable Cough...WWYD?

I have a 3yr old with a horrible barky cough. He seems to always be coughing but the last few days it's been really bad. It's also paired with a non-stop runny nose. It's a nasty, barking like cough.

I let mom know about it and I think they are chalking it up to allergies but I'd really like a doctor's note because it sounds horrible.

Ijust don't know if I feel right asking them if the doctors have checked out the cough or if they have considered croup or something else like RSV. It just seems to be on going and just does not sound like an allergy cough.

No fever. What would you guys do??
Old 04-06-2011, 11:43 AM

I just sent one home yesterday for the barking dry cough but no fever, just cranky attitude. Mom went to Dr and the child has croup. I don't think there has to be a fever to signal illness. I have had lots of kiddos over the years have all sorts of things, even ear infections and never run a temp.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama View Post
I have a 3yr old with a horrible barky cough. He seems to always be coughing but the last few days it's been really bad. It's also paired with a non-stop runny nose. It's a nasty, barking like cough.

I let mom know about it and I think they are chalking it up to allergies but I'd really like a doctor's note because it sounds horrible.

No fever. What would you guys do??
It could be bronchitis. (barking) Thats how I sound when mine flares up

I have in my contract that children will not be permitted to attend the daycare and will be sent home if they have an excessive cough.

Now I'm thinking constant like they can't do anything else and the kids can't concentrate on learning etc.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have one here today that has had a constant clear runny nose and on/off cough since January. In fact, he missed most of February while out with the flu. Real flu confirmed by labs. This is the part that he's just not getting over. DCD feels it's allergy to the cat (theirs not mine), DCM doesn't know what to do. I'm waiting to see if her pedi called her back today and then I think I'm going to insist on confirmation that it's allergies. I have a cat and a dog, he does not know how to blow his nose, wipes it everywhere. Even if it's allergies, it's still germy. If he's allergic to animal dander, this is not the place for him.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 PM

I would ask them to stay home the rest of the week. It's only two days, and that way, they can see if they want to take him to the dr.

The doctor's note usually means nothing to me, because I know that some doctors will write anything the parent wants.

I'd also be afraid of whooping cough. It can be very dangerous to the really young kids.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I have a dcg who had pneumonia about a month ago. She still has the cough. I asked the parents to get a doctor’s note before returning and the doc note said that she would have a cough that lingered. She is still coughing like she did when it all started.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

A dallop of honey in warm water. Coats the throat.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

I have it in my contract, the child cannot come to daycare with an uncontrollable cough, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, or anything else that is contagious. I sent one boy home about a month ago, that had a terrible cough, he gave my daughter INfluenza A from it. Another time, I had a child here with a bad cough, they gave the baby RSV- this was before I placed this in my contract. Even now I have it on the bottom of my newsletter every month as a reminder, since the one gave it to my daughter!!

Tags
cough - too much, coughing