Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Your Child Hates A DCK :(
Ariana 09:34 AM 12-14-2011
Gosh I'm posting a lot this week

My 2.5 yr old daughter is really hating the new DCK. They're similar in ages (girl is 19 months). They're at eachnothers throats constantly and now my daughter has begun pushing and yelling in her face. It's really run of the mill kind of stuff. Grabbing toys and encroaching on each others space. For the most part the 19 month old is the instigator but I know she doesn't understand what she's doing. My daughter gets along really well with the 3 yr old and they never fight. I've had the 3 yr old for over a year though.

I've tried speaking to her (my DD) in a firm voice, getting down to her level, intervening before incidents happen, holding circles about being angry, books about feelings, getting her to take deep breaths, reminding her of what to say and "using her words". Today I seperated them. My space is small so this is not the best way for me to handle it (but maybe I have no choice?)

I'm *this* close to throwing in the towel and sending my kid to siberia (J/K )

Anything I haven't thought of? Will this get better in time?
wdmmom 10:04 AM 12-14-2011
When I started daycare, my daughter was 4. She knew she needed to share toys, play fair/nice, etc. She didn't get any special treatment. Even at 4-12 years old, kids understand money. I would attach their bad behavior to money. Mom needs this job to make money to pay for _____. You like having a Wii, don't ya. You'd like new games, dont ya? Well than....

I don't do favorites here. My kids, daycare kids, neighbor kids, etc. They are all treated the same here.

If your child dislikes your dcg, you need to step in and handle the situation. Even if that means punishing your child or the other child. They need to learn to get along or the consequences associated with the action.

You fight over a toy, the toy now becomes mine and it's taken out of circulation for a week.

If kids are stubborn and fight over space, I give them a blanket to play on. All the kids have their own and know to stay out of the other child's bubble.

If they are hitting, pulling hair, pushing, etc, it's a 1 way ticket to time out where you get 1 to 1 personalized attention with your's truly.

Zoe 10:10 AM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
When I started daycare, my daughter was 4. She knew she needed to share toys, play fair/nice, etc. She didn't get any special treatment. Even at 4-12 years old, kids understand money. I would attach their bad behavior to money. Mom needs this job to make money to pay for _____. You like having a Wii, don't ya. You'd like new games, dont ya? Well than....

I don't do favorites here. My kids, daycare kids, neighbor kids, etc. They are all treated the same here.

If your child dislikes your dcg, you need to step in and handle the situation. Even if that means punishing your child or the other child. They need to learn to get along or the consequences associated with the action.

You fight over a toy, the toy now becomes mine and it's taken out of circulation for a week.

If kids are stubborn and fight over space, I give them a blanket to play on. All the kids have their own and know to stay out of the other child's bubble.

If they are hitting, pulling hair, pushing, etc, it's a 1 way ticket to time out where you get 1 to 1 personalized attention with your's truly.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It's just like at school, they don't have to like each other, but they do have to treat each other with respect. If you have to separate them and not let them play together until they can be nice, then that's ok.
Tags:bad fit, hate, new child, territorial
Reply Up