Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sometimes I Don’t Think I’m Cut Out For My Own Business....
Breezy 05:54 AM 01-22-2012
Had a meeting/interview with a family last week with a 1 year old and a 3.5 year old. First of all, the 3.5 year old was never mentioned to me during the initial emailing and talking on the phone. He is in preschool but they would need care on days he doesn't have school. So it was a big shock when they showed up with him. Secondly, they said care was needed from 6am-4pm Monday-Friday. During the interview it was mentioned they have a sitter now that they just started with this past week but she's way out of the way. Care would probably only end up being 3 days per week for now with the potential for full-time in the future. But for now they are keeping this provider. Understandable because I am going on vacation next month so they would need a back up.

My full time rate that I quoted was $140 for the week. When they got here they said it was too expensive if they weren't going to utilize all 5 days. They wanted a daily rate like their last provider and hourly on the summer when she would drop them off so she can run errands (teachers children). So, being put on the spot I said I may b able to work with that schedule and rate structure.

So they want to start sometime soon but are waiting for me to revise my handbook for their "scheduled drop in" schedule I guess you could call it. Well the more I think and stress over it the more I wonder if its going to be worth the hassle. I hate not knowing what my income is going to be like from week to week. I have a young child and need to be able to plan out the budget. I am worried I won't have the extra food to feed her children if I am not able to budget correctly, iykwim?

I am irritated with myself for folding on my rates like that. My current part time family pays a weekly rate for the ability to use any day of the week with a weeks notice. They needed weekends and I offer non traditional hours so they drive over an hour each way.

So now I feel like if this new family is going to be here coming between 5-7am depending on the day X amount of days per week and then having my current dcf come on weekends I am going to burn out real fast. Especially when my Dh is doing an exercise once a month (military) and I'm more like a single mom on top of it for that week.

We need the money but not badly. I can wait until the right schedule comes along.

So, it sounds like I may have made up my mind that this family's schedule isn't worth it. Bit what am I to say now that they are hoping to start with me? And I guess do you think I'm right in thinking enrolling them is a bad idea?

Kids are adorable. Mom and dad are down to earth and very nice and seemingly involved with their kids.
AfterSchoolMom 06:13 AM 01-22-2012
I'd lay it out for them - you'd love to have them, but you won't change your rate structure and you must know the days/times that they'll be coming in advance. Then the ball is in their court. Good luck, I know how hard it is!
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 01-22-2012
Your gut instincts are spot on. I would e-mail or call them and simply say that after some consideration, you will not be able to accommodate them at a discounted rate. However, let them know that if they are still interested in your services the full time space is available (at normal full time rates) if they wish to have it. I would also be a bit frimer with their schedule as well. Require set times and if they cannot do it, they just may not be the right fit for you.

Do not feel like you messed up. Not everyone can handle being put on the spot like that and there is absolutely nothing wrong with changing your mind.

One thing I would do though, so you don't get into this situation again is have a 24-48 hour waiting period before telling a family that they are accepted or enrolled after an interview. Just tell interviewing families that your business practice is to not make any final decisions until BOTH the provider and family have had 24-48 hours to think about it.

You didn't do anything wrong and there is also nothing wrong with going back and telling them you have re-thought their situation and just financially cannot afford to give them a discount.
LittleD 07:22 AM 01-22-2012
Whenever someone puts you on the spot ALWAYS respond with "I'LL have to get back to you on that" Give them at time frame if they ask you for one, but never give an answer on the spot, even if you think it would be ok. Changes to your contract require careful consideration!

As for what you should say to them, let them know you were put on the spot but after careful consideration you can't accept those terms. Offer a solution that works for you (i.e a weeks notice for change in schedules or set start times) or 'paying for the spot' and let them decide if they will work what you and your family needs or if they will find care else where.

Good luck!
momma2girls 09:13 AM 01-22-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
Whenever someone puts you on the spot ALWAYS respond with "I'LL have to get back to you on that" Give them at time frame if they ask you for one, but never give an answer on the spot, even if you think it would be ok. Changes to your contract require careful consideration!

As for what you should say to them, let them know you were put on the spot but after careful consideration you can't accept those terms. Offer a solution that works for you (i.e a weeks notice for change in schedules or set start times) or 'paying for the spot' and let them decide if they will work what you and your family needs or if they will find care else where.

Good luck!
I have learned the hard way on this as well. SOmeone calls you out of the blue, and you say something you should have never said- then you totally regret it. I always say, I will think about it and get back to you from now on!!!
Sunchimes 09:28 AM 01-22-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Just tell interviewing families that your business practice is to not make any final decisions until BOTH the provider and family have had 24-48 hours to think about it.

Best piece of advice than anyone ever gave me!
cheerfuldom 06:11 PM 01-22-2012
"Upon further thought, I realize that this situation is not the right fit for my daycare. I'd be happy to consider your child should you need full time care in the future. Thanks so much for your consideration and good luck as you continue your daycare search"

THEN if you do take them,YOU tell THEM what you are willing to accept as far as this additional child. You don't have to do the hourly drop in rate during the summer.
Daycaremomof2 11:12 AM 01-23-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
Had a meeting/interview with a family last week with a 1 year old and a 3.5 year old. First of all, the 3.5 year old was never mentioned to me during the initial emailing and talking on the phone. He is in preschool but they would need care on days he doesn't have school. So it was a big shock when they showed up with him. Secondly, they said care was needed from 6am-4pm Monday-Friday. During the interview it was mentioned they have a sitter now that they just started with this past week but she's way out of the way. Care would probably only end up being 3 days per week for now with the potential for full-time in the future. But for now they are keeping this provider. Understandable because I am going on vacation next month so they would need a back up.

My full time rate that I quoted was $140 for the week. When they got here they said it was too expensive if they weren't going to utilize all 5 days. They wanted a daily rate like their last provider and hourly on the summer when she would drop them off so she can run errands (teachers children). So, being put on the spot I said I may b able to work with that schedule and rate structure.

So they want to start sometime soon but are waiting for me to revise my handbook for their "scheduled drop in" schedule I guess you could call it. Well the more I think and stress over it the more I wonder if its going to be worth the hassle. I hate not knowing what my income is going to be like from week to week. I have a young child and need to be able to plan out the budget. I am worried I won't have the extra food to feed her children if I am not able to budget correctly, iykwim?

I am irritated with myself for folding on my rates like that. My current part time family pays a weekly rate for the ability to use any day of the week with a weeks notice. They needed weekends and I offer non traditional hours so they drive over an hour each way.

So now I feel like if this new family is going to be here coming between 5-7am depending on the day X amount of days per week and then having my current dcf come on weekends I am going to burn out real fast. Especially when my Dh is doing an exercise once a month (military) and I'm more like a single mom on top of it for that week.

We need the money but not badly. I can wait until the right schedule comes along.

So, it sounds like I may have made up my mind that this family's schedule isn't worth it. Bit what am I to say now that they are hoping to start with me? And I guess do you think I'm right in thinking enrolling them is a bad idea?

Kids are adorable. Mom and dad are down to earth and very nice and seemingly involved with their kids.
I WOULD NEVER agree to random hours where they could drop their child off any time. That will mess up your schedule with the other children, and yours. Nothing is worse than not knowing what to expect, and guaranteed, you will be taken advantage of. My gut would be to NOT take this family- it sounds like they are already trying to get you to compromise and change your handbook, etc, just for them. In my experience, the ones who want you to change your whole routine for them up front is just the tip of the iceberg for future issues.
Breezy 11:21 AM 01-23-2012
So I sent them the handbook and contract with my normal rates and they start tomorrow 3 days per week the same days every week. Yayy! It will be an early morning as she will be here at 5:30 but that's okay! Thanks for all the advice ladies!
Unregistered 10:07 AM 01-24-2012
I know what you mean! Being put on the spot is sooo hard. You have to be tough. Think about yourself as a store with fixed prices, no negotiation possible.. When ppl want part-time care, especially for infants, I always still charge full-time price. I'd tell them it'll be impossible to find another kid for exactly the other days. And most of the time they understand.. Everyone is just trying to save $$ I guess, daycare is not cheap for them..
Waiting for the better fit is always worth it. What I sometimes do (esp for >2 years old) I give them a special rate, as long as capacity allows, and tell them it'll be until another full-time person shows up. But actually it's none of their business what prospects / openings you have or not.
Tags:bad fit
Reply Up