Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Sibling, and Mom Too...
jenny31052 05:20 PM 04-19-2012
What would you do?

Healthy (maybe..) dcg comes to daycare, but sibling is home with severe tonsillites (sp. ??) , fever, and he is on antibiotics... Mom has been home with sick child for the past 2 days, but healthy child came to daycare.

I was not aware that the sick sibling was on his second day home with parents. I was told today...

Today she asks if healthy girl can come tomorrow, while she stays home again with sick child. I told her that it's up to her, I'm sure that by now the germs have spread anyway, but I would prefer if she stays home with her...

I'm just a little concerned about the illness the sibling is suffering (tonsillites); it was just a common flu, it wouldn't really bother me, but I would hate to have my family coming down with it as well
wdmmom 05:23 PM 04-19-2012
I have a clause in my contract that if 1 stays home, they all must stay home.
Blackcat31 05:25 PM 04-19-2012
My daughter got strep throat any time you said the word. Still does. My son has NEVER had it and they have always lived with each other.

There is no guarantee that healthy DCK will get sick just because the sibling is.
If you are going to exclude based on that logic, you might as well exclude everyone since certain people are simply carriers and you could have been standing next to them at the grocery store yesterday.

Just MY opinion. Works for me but I know there are others who have valid reasons for a sibling clause.
saved4always 06:05 PM 04-19-2012
My daughter was home a second day from school today because she was diagnosed with strep yesterday. I was a good mom and kept her home today because she was not on antibiotics for 24 hours yet this morning. No one else has shown signs yet and have all been atteding school, etc. as usual. I haven't had siblings in a while but, when I did I would have allowed the well sibling to come. I would have been really nervous the whole time and disinfected like a fiend, but I would have allowed it. Luckily for my stress level, the parents I had with more than 1 childs usually kept both home when 1 was sick.
Crazy8 06:25 PM 04-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My daughter got strep throat any time you said the word. Still does. My son has NEVER had it and they have always lived with each other.

There is no guarantee that healthy DCK will get sick just because the sibling is.
If you are going to exclude based on that logic, you might as well exclude everyone since certain people are simply carriers and you could have been standing next to them at the grocery store yesterday.

Just MY opinion. Works for me but I know there are others who have valid reasons for a sibling clause.
I feel the same way about the whole keeping them both/all home. Too many variables and not fair to families.
momma2girls 06:27 PM 04-19-2012
I have had several times in the last 3 yrs. of having siblings, and the sibling has been sick 75% of the time, and brought it to daycare with the other one!! I finally had to place something in contract about siblings!! It's been twice this yr. alone!! I have had to call parents each time, that the other sibling is now sick, and has gotten everyone in my household sick as well. As well as the other 2 daycare children here!!! To protect myself, the other daycare children, and my own children, I placed a sibling clause in!!
momma2girls 06:30 PM 04-19-2012
Many yrs ago when I was taking my 2 daughters to daycare, I would have never dreamed of sending the one to daycare, when I was with the other one at home- I would have been afraid of infecting everyone and also my great daycare provider. Also I kept my children home with me, when I took a vac. day, I spent every moment I could with my children!!
momma2girls 06:32 PM 04-19-2012
I also have had sick parents with the flu, strep, fevers, come and pick up their children, and guess what, I got whatever they had, then my children as well. I guess that should be added as well. That should be common sense!!!
Tags:sickness
Reply Up