Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Using Sign Language
midaycare 08:23 PM 06-14-2014
Two of my dck's - 1 that is 2 years old, and 1 that will be 2 soon signed up with me because I have a curriculum. Parents are freaking out because their little love's can't talk yet. Well ... they taught their kids sign language early on. Their kids are using sign language (and pretty well), so there is no need to talk.

Within 3 weeks I had the 2 year old talking & using sentences.

Within 3 days I had the younger one saying 9 words. Parents thought she was so behind and would never talk. But ... I just don't allow sign language with them. I tell them to use their words, and they do.

Anyone else have dck's that are using sign language & waiting to talk because of it? I'm not sure that's the reason, but I'm mostly convinced.
itlw8 08:29 PM 06-14-2014
no , in fact most of mine that sign are also ahead verbally. My guess is when they taught and use the sign they did not also use the spoken word at the same time.

I would not forget the sign I would teach it to all of the children It is a great skill to have. Just like a foreign language the early years is the best time to learn sign language.
midaycare 08:49 PM 06-14-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
no , in fact most of mine that sign are also ahead verbally. My guess is when they taught and use the sign they did not also use the spoken word at the same time.

I would not forget the sign I would teach it to all of the children It is a great skill to have. Just like a foreign language the early years is the best time to learn sign language.
Very interesting. I know infant sign language is all the rage right now, I'm just not sure why. I do teach sign language, but only about 30 words, and the alphabet. And I have no infants, so just 18 months and up.
KidGrind 09:10 PM 06-14-2014
My DCKs that sign seem to pick up language Nascar fast once they start talking.
jenboo 09:11 PM 06-14-2014
The only way sign language could delay their verbal language is if the parent didn't say the verbal words while signing them and only talk in sign language to the children.
My guess is that the parents didn't make them talk verbally.
midaycare 09:21 PM 06-14-2014
Around here it seems like everyone wants to sign their child up for services by the age of 2 if their child isn't talking all day, every day. I'm not sure it's entirely unusual for kids to wait this long to talk ...
NightOwl 12:50 AM 06-15-2014
Children are expected to have 50 words and speak in 2 to 3 word sentences by age 2 to be developmentally on track.
Meyou 04:46 AM 06-15-2014
My DCK's that sign have all been early talkers usually with a few months of some hybrid sign/speech combination before they drop the signs altogether. I LOVE baby signs. I teach more, help, drink, please, thank you, hungry and a few others to all my new babies. It helps alot with the whining between 12 and 18 months. ALOT.
Sugar Magnolia 07:19 AM 06-15-2014
I don't think sign language hurts language use in hearing children. I'm assuming the kids the OP is referring to aren't children of deaf parents.

As a member if the deaf/hh community, I support children learning ASL. "Baby Sign" is not ASL. It's more of a cute novelty that does help those who cannot physically speak yet communicate their needs. Once children can speak, they should stop using baby signs, in my opinion. Not because it impedes their use of speech, but because sign language is for the deaf and hard of hearing. I think it's as important as learning any other language, and using multiple languages is very good for brain development. But I do not like seeing hearing children who CAN SPEAK using signs. I don't know why i feel this way, and maybe I'm way out of line, but I think ASL should be taught and learned like any other language, as a serious endeavor, not a cute novelty, and baby signs should stop once words can be formed and used.
KiddieCahoots 08:59 AM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:

Maybe the parents aren't very verbal either.

Children learn what they live.

Like others have said, my children learn their vocabulary very quickly, with the connection of ASL.

We use ASL a lot for the use of describing and showing of our emotions. It helps them socially and emotionally to develop and understand others feelings by using multi sensory to jog synapsis of the brain, helping to gently pull them out of their egocentric age level of thinking.
NightOwl 10:29 AM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I don't think sign language hurts language use in hearing children. I'm assuming the kids the OP is referring to aren't children of deaf parents.

As a member if the deaf/hh community, I support children learning ASL. "Baby Sign" is not ASL. It's more of a cute novelty that does help those who cannot physically speak yet communicate their needs. Once children can speak, they should stop using baby signs, in my opinion. Not because it impedes their use of speech, but because sign language is for the deaf and hard of hearing. I think it's as important as learning any other language, and using multiple languages is very good for brain development. But I do not like seeing hearing children who CAN SPEAK using signs. I don't know why i feel this way, and maybe I'm way out of line, but I think ASL should be taught and learned like any other language, as a serious endeavor, not a cute novelty, and baby signs should stop once words can be formed and used.
My dd and I both want to learn asl but we have no idea how to go about it as we don't know anyone who is deaf/hh to teach us. How did you learn?
craftymissbeth 10:42 AM 06-15-2014
I'm deaf in one ear and beginning to notice a decline in hearing in the other. I would love to learn ASL just in case my hearing decides to go completely one day. I am an expert lip reader, but it's starting to be not enough... and I can't afford hearing aides.

Anyway, I taught one of my dcg's baby sign when she started here at 14 months. She really didn't talk at all or even seem to try at all... but right before she turned 2 it's like her vocab just exploded. She's a complete chatterbox now
Sugar Magnolia 11:23 AM 06-15-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
My dd and I both want to learn asl but we have no idea how to go about it as we don't know anyone who is deaf/hh to teach us. How did you learn?
Like any language, immersion is the best way. I was taught by deaf people who I grew up with as a child, my deaf cousin, and by several deaf folks I worked with over the years. I'm also hard of hearing and my family uses it when they don't want to shout at me or i missed something. I rely mostly on lip reading, closed caption and text messages. I do have hearing aids now, but I don't use them very much because they can get overwhelming sometimes.
NightOwl 07:51 PM 06-15-2014
Hmmmmm. We don't know anyone who is deaf and can commit the kind of time needed for us to learn. I wonder if there are any programs out there that teach it?
So the baby signs are not ASL? I didn't realize that.
AslansG1rl 08:33 PM 06-15-2014
Hmmmmm. We don't know anyone who is deaf and can commit the kind of time needed for us to learn. I wonder if there are any programs out there that teach it?
So the baby signs are not ASL? I didn't realize that.
I have taken two years of ASL in college. You could actually probably start there. You might be able to find ASL classes in a local community college. You could also go to http://happy.deafcoffee.com and look for an event in your area.

American Sign Language is a LANGUAGE, and anyone interested has a right to learn and use it. There have been many different times where I was able to communicate with a Deaf person because I know how to sign.

Research has shown that babies who learn ASL tend to have HIGHER IQ's, less tantrums, and SPEAK SOONER.

The whole " If the kid signs they won't speak " myth is just that. It is untrue, and unfounded.

The kids I take care of , 18m, 6y, and 10y, all are learning ASL. They are really enjoying it too.

Baby signs are ASL songs that have been slightly modified in order for a baby to be physically capable of the needed motions.

A few more awesome helpful ASL websites include: aslpro.com, signingsavvy.com, asl.ms

Quick funny note: when I first explained what ASL is to the 10y boy, he was super excited and told me he wants to learn so he can talk to his friends in school and in church without getting in trouble.
coolconfidentme 03:40 AM 06-16-2014
http://www.lifeprint.com/
Start with the basic words you say frequently.

I've known ASL most of my life & worked at the deaf school in Indy for awhile. I teach my DCKs some ASL..., they love it!
midaycare 04:01 AM 06-16-2014
I would agree that ASL is helpful and the kids who learn it seem to be smart - I don't know about about smarter - but smart. At least in my experience.

But since I had 2 that weren't speaking and were signing, and started speaking when I insisted no signing, I wondered if anyone else had dealt with this. One set of parents already had speech therapists involved, and another was signing up for speech therapy.
Unregistered 09:56 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm deaf in one ear and beginning to notice a decline in hearing in the other. I would love to learn ASL just in case my hearing decides to go completely one day. I am an expert lip reader, but it's starting to be not enough... and I can't afford hearing aides.

Wouldn't really do you much good unless your family knows sign and you end up surrounding yourself with people who do.

I went to Gallaudet for grad school- a traditionally deaf college. A lot of people don't realize that there are multiple sign languages- ASL is just one. It's not a translation of English and there is a definite culture around it. Very interesting stuff.

As far as the baby signs- yep, it's cute and wonderful way to communicate with your little one, but usually the signs have little to do with ASL and they aren't taught in the proper sentence structure at all (ASL doesn't follow English Subject-verb-object structure.) I taught my little one baby signs. She actually was a late talker, but she was late with everything. Now she has an amazing vocabulary. Not sure if it's in any way related to her signing, though.
Unregistered 10:00 AM 06-16-2014
http://www.signingtime.com/

this is where we learned most of our baby signs. You can find the videos on you tube, babysteals sometimes sells sets.
My3cents 10:40 AM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Two of my dck's - 1 that is 2 years old, and 1 that will be 2 soon signed up with me because I have a curriculum. Parents are freaking out because their little love's can't talk yet. Well ... they taught their kids sign language early on. Their kids are using sign language (and pretty well), so there is no need to talk.

Within 3 weeks I had the 2 year old talking & using sentences.

Within 3 days I had the younger one saying 9 words. Parents thought she was so behind and would never talk. But ... I just don't allow sign language with them. I tell them to use their words, and they do.

Anyone else have dck's that are using sign language & waiting to talk because of it? I'm not sure that's the reason, but I'm mostly convinced.
not at all. Sign language is useful as a tool along with learning to talk. When you sign to the child, also say the world and encourage the child to speak it too-

I have had kids that wouldn't talk because they had older siblings that would do it for them, jump to speak for them and the parents too.

Sign language is wonderful when used as a tool to foster verbal-
TwinKristi 02:22 PM 06-16-2014
Yeah I've had the opposite with signing and babies. I've taught them basic words since infantry (milk, water, more, all done) and it's been great! The 2 guys I have who didn't talk much are communicating so much better with sign. And I disagree that it's not ASL. These are the same signs as they use. I learned ASL as a child because I had a dead neighbor and then in school we had a deaf classmate so our class learned sign as well. You're not using ASL as your only method of communication like someone who's deaf would, you're combining it with speech to encourage the communication before they can talk.
Heidi 06:01 PM 06-16-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Yeah I've had the opposite with signing and babies. I've taught them basic words since infantry (milk, water, more, all done) and it's been great! The 2 guys I have who didn't talk much are communicating so much better with sign. And I disagree that it's not ASL. These are the same signs as they use. I learned ASL as a child because I had a dead neighbor and then in school we had a deaf classmate so our class learned sign as well. You're not using ASL as your only method of communication like someone who's deaf would, you're combining it with speech to encourage the communication before they can talk.

midaycare 07:37 PM 06-16-2014
I read that too Heidi - I was like - wow - she can sign to the dead! Lol!
KIDZRMYBIZ 01:12 PM 06-17-2014
I didn't read all the responses as I've got to go get my kids up from nap, but I was told by the 24-year verteran ECE teacher that came to my house once a month through a program set up by our school district that since the fad of using sign-language with babies, there has been a HUGE in-flux of speech delayed kids. HUGE. So, there you have it.

I'd have to agree. My 16mo DCB's mom raves how he can sign over 30 words, mostly because she parks him with some baby-signing video that he is enamored with. Then says he is making up signs for things and they don't understand him. All I ever see him sign is "milk" and verbally saying "more, more!" to e-v-e-r-y-t-h-I-n-g. Yeah. Great. Shouldn't he just be talking.

I've been sniffed at more than once when asked if I do signing with the babies. Nope. I do not know ASL. Am not going to pretend I know ASL. I would rather teach them to talk. I'm old-fashioned that way.
SignMeUp 01:37 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
And the babies are in the infantry too Talk about advanced!

Just kidding you, TwinKristi, I know I make plenty of typos too, especially when not on the computer.

Signed,
Desperate for Laughs
KiddieCahoots 01:43 PM 06-17-2014
I think a lot of parents are taking it out of context. And going over board on the whole, "gotta teach them ASL, it's the in fad!" Instead of primarily using a language and vocabulary along with ASL, and with just plain talking to their children.
I could talk to my children in sentences using ASL, but I don't. I prefer to use ASL with some words, to emphasize communication, kind of like power point.
I mean really....why would you only teach your child ASL if they are not deaf?
If your going to teach ASL without the English or another language, it obviously doesn't benefit the child, and defeats the purpose of multi lingual.
NeedaVaca 01:55 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I didn't read all the responses as I've got to go get my kids up from nap, but I was told by the 24-year verteran ECE teacher that came to my house once a month through a program set up by our school district that since the fad of using sign-language with babies, there has been a HUGE in-flux of speech delayed kids. HUGE. So, there you have it.

I'd have to agree. My 16mo DCB's mom raves how he can sign over 30 words, mostly because she parks him with some baby-signing video that he is enamored with. Then says he is making up signs for things and they don't understand him. All I ever see him sign is "milk" and verbally saying "more, more!" to e-v-e-r-y-t-h-I-n-g. Yeah. Great. Shouldn't he just be talking.

I've been sniffed at more than once when asked if I do signing with the babies. Nope. I do not know ASL. Am not going to pretend I know ASL. I would rather teach them to talk. I'm old-fashioned that way.
I do not think it's signing that's causing speech delays. I would lean more towards parents not communicating with their kids as much anymore and gadgets/screen time. There are actually studies that show the benefits of signing to children.
midaycare 04:47 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I do not think it's signing that's causing speech delays. I would lean more towards parents not communicating with their kids as much anymore and gadgets/screen time. There are actually studies that show the benefits of signing to children.
I think you are onto something! Parents wanting to do the latest "fad", in this case baby sign language, while staring at their gadgets and not talking to their kids.
TwinKristi 04:51 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
And the babies are in the infantry too Talk about advanced!

Just kidding you, TwinKristi, I know I make plenty of typos too, especially when not on the computer.

Signed,
Desperate for Laughs
You caught me on my phone! LOL I usually try to go over it before posting! Can we not edit anymore??
SignMeUp 04:56 PM 06-17-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
You caught me on my phone! LOL I usually try to go over it before posting! Can we not edit anymore??
I don't even use apostrophes on phone or tablet anymore. It's just too much work
Tags:sign language
Reply Up