Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:19 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Proof for STARS/QRIS

I'm wondering how you provide proof of involvement with certain things you do, such as family involvement and community service?
I cannot DL pictures from my camera and print them off, for some reason, so if you don't take pictures, do you have sign-up sheets available for when dcps come? For example, I'm having an ice cream social this Friday before closing time. I'd feel weird having parents sign in when they come, KWIM?

But my mentor tells me the state is getting picky about how we document involvement for our Stars. So any suggestions? I suppose I could ask a dcm to take pictures and have her email them to me; that might work.
Thanks all!!
Old 08-22-2017, 05:59 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I bought a cheap digital camera for daycare. Wrote is off as office supplies. Documents art, activities, projects, environment and events.

It was the only answer they wanted to hear. Yes, I resent having to prove myself to people I don't work for.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:23 AM
Daycare.com Member

I think it would be easier to solve the picture problem. Can you send them to an online app? Walgreens maybe?
Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 AM
Day Care Owner

Snapfish app gives you a 100 free photos a month. I haven't gotten the app yet but when they do free photos through the website, it comes with free shipping. Plus they always arrive sooner than expected.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 AM

Josie, does your portfolio not have to be uploaded to be submitted online? Having hard copies won't work here.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Josie, does your portfolio not have to be uploaded to be submitted online? Having hard copies won't work here.
Hard copies are the norm here. The bigger metro areas have the ability to upload portfolios and do most everything electronically but the rest of us in my state still do things by hand on paper.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Hard copies are the norm here. The bigger metro areas have the ability to upload portfolios and do most everything electronically but the rest of us in my state still do things by hand on paper.
That was the hardest part of QRIS for me. I had never worked electronically, so had to photo and upload everything. It took forever. I had to take a computer class just to be able to understand the instructions, it was just assumed I had a scanner, fax machine, printer and software. I did not. I do now, it was so expensive and time consuming at first. I am still catching up, it feels. They are starting to want video, I think that is my line in the sand.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

The way I got credit for our ice cream social is that I use evite. I sent out the e-vite and all of the parents RSVP.. I also did one though FB.

In addition to the invite, I also required for each family to sign up to bring an item, to which I then copied it and added it to my binder of social events.

I use my iphone to take and print picture. If you have a bluetooth printer, you can do it right from your phone.

I got full credit for all of my events doing it this way.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
That was the hardest part of QRIS for me. I had never worked electronically, so had to photo and upload everything. It took forever. I had to take a computer class just to be able to understand the instructions, it was just assumed I had a scanner, fax machine, printer and software. I did not. I do now, it was so expensive and time consuming at first. I am still catching up, it feels. They are starting to want video, I think that is my line in the sand.
This is a huge issue in my area.

Many providers are old school and don't use eletronics

Sign in/out sheets, assessments, menus/FP claims,state assistance invoicing, etc etc..... most have some sort of program or software that is required and so many providers in my area just don't have the knowledge or ability to do things any other way but pen/paper.

I'm fall somewhere in the middle.

I had to have a 4 yr old DCK walk me through how to set up Netflix a while back.

The struggle is real.....
Old 08-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'm going to be doing this soon so I'm watching this thread.

I did it through a differenct system at my old location. But because the program and rating were run through a specific subsidy program it'll be really different. I had 5 stars, and we used the same book, but I think submitting my info will be different.

The program was for subsidized care of at risk populations (English language learners or children whose parents didn't complete school). These children on this subsidy program can ONLY go to 5 star facilities. And the parents were awesome, went down the book with me and helped make modifications to my yard and play room so I could get the rating. Their daughter had previously come to me when they were private pay, and they really wanted their infant son to be in my program as well.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
.... most have some sort of program or software that is required and so many providers in my area just don't have the knowledge or ability to do things any other way but pen/paper.
And bonus, now that is going away (October 2017) without a decent replacement option. I am stressed and mentally exhausted with the accounting programs available and they want me to also use a parent PR program . I don't know how I am going to meet QRIS next year much less show improvement. I am seriously considering tapping out and let them try to push me out. I won't go quietly.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Not yet.
I don't have a phone with picture taking ability. I'll have to take the pictures on my camera and try to figure out why they're not transferring to my computer or have dcm take them, and see if I can work something out there. I am so inept and have a mental wall up when it comes to anything computer.

Thanks everybody
Old 08-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Daycare.com Member

I place in my monthly newsletters events that child care is involved in and then have parents sign and date if they participate on another form. Then I put the newsletter and documentation signatures in my licensing file to be checked. So far this has worked for licensing.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiegirl View Post
Not yet.
I don't have a phone with picture taking ability. I'll have to take the pictures on my camera and try to figure out why they're not transferring to my computer or have dcm take them, and see if I can work something out there. I am so inept and have a mental wall up when it comes to anything computer.

Thanks everybody
if your camera has a memory card or cable you can take it to the local drug store photo kiosk and have them printed there If you need a digital copy, in many locations, they'll transfer them to a usb drive for you.

Tags
qris, stars program