Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speaking of Summer Break Being Over
daycare 07:50 AM 08-22-2017
This is kind of a vent. But i am just curious to see if I am the only one here that had a crappy summer program.

I was full all summer as usual. 12 kids every day.

BUT I had 12 kids that were kept out late every night, fed junk food, not napping on days they didn't come, all out of schedules, and just too tired to do anything and just about all of them were acting like .......fill in the blank........lol

I had 3 kids that are ages 4-4 -5 who would come in throwing screaming fits every morning because their older sibling was enrolled into the YMCA summer camp program that takes them to the movies and swimming, etc etc nad of course that's not fair. So the kids were informed of this right before drop off and OH boy was it a show down. I did feel bad for these kids, but OMG parents really.

I can't tell you how many kids I sent home over the summer for not being able to participate or for throwing an hour tantrum. I had one fall asleep outside on the grass.

I feel like next year we just may not be open over the summer. lol wishful thinking entered here.

I have never had a summer like this before. Please tell me that I am not the only one...
how was your summer.

Oh and BTW we really didn't have much planned all summer at the DC. Just tried to take it easy and it was still out of control.
storybookending 08:21 AM 08-22-2017
I am not allowed as many kids but I have one family like you describe. They have a 3 and 5 year old. Mom and dad live in separate houses but are together but unmarried, such a long story you don't even want to know. They have 13 older siblings between mom and dad, only 2 of the siblings belong to mom. Some have kids older than the younger one meaning she was an aunt before she was born. Moms house has rules and structure. Dads house has none. The 3 year old seems more adjusted than her brother who throws tantrums about everything. The other morning he came in screaming because his sister opened the door and he wanted to. Today he threw a tantrum because a 1 yr old didn't want to play with him.

I don't transport as part of care so I know what it's like to be stuck at home but honestly I'm okay with it.. We've walked to the park a few times and to the library once and took one field trip to a cupcake shop (walking distance). I'm ready for summer to be over and settle in to a new routine.
midaycare 08:37 AM 08-22-2017
I only had 6 this summer...will have 12 with an assistant next summer, so we'll see.

I had a few families like this. Want to do want older siblings are doing, kept out late...fun stuff!
Josiegirl 01:38 AM 08-23-2017
I guess it's to be expected but we're the ones who have to deal with the fall-out, all summer long.
I have had 4 sets of siblings all summer and that was tough, especially with the 2 sets of SA siblings. One of those sets....don't ask me why I've put up with them for as long as I have. Every summer I tell myself, never ever again. But by the time June rolls around I haven't changed anything.
If calls for daycare were rolling in, I'd have more of an option.
jenboo 06:24 PM 08-23-2017
Yes!! I have 10 kids and under 2. Half have older siblings. Those half have crazy schedules with sports and other events... up late, drug all over town, napping in the car etc. Its been crazy. I have another who falls asleep on the grass almost daily but that's another story
BumbleBee 11:48 AM 08-26-2017
Summer sucked. Many of my dck's NEED a solid routine and most of my issues centered around wacky schedules. School starts in 10 days. I can't wait!
MarinaVanessa 11:54 AM 08-26-2017
And this is where I'm grateful for not having older kids. I only take them until they start school so I don't have to bother with the school schedules and breaks. Thank goodness my clients keep their littles on a pretty good routine. I don't know what I'd do with a whole gaggle of unreasonable cranky 1-4 year olds
Ariana 12:15 PM 08-26-2017
I find summer to be stressful as a parent let alone a provider. I don't work as much right now so at least I get a break from technical "work" but it is constant go go go!! As a parent to small kids I don't ever really get a break

I try really hard to keep my kids on a healthy strict diet and good bed time routines to manage their moods and it is sooooo hard when we go camping or get invited out every weekend. Just this week we went to my neighbours for an evening of hot dogs, freezies, marshmallows and swimming. Didn't get home until 9pm I paid for it the next day let me tell you. Then we go camping and who wants to eat salad?? Ugh.
daycare 02:51 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Yes!! I have 10 kids and under 2. Half have older siblings. Those half have crazy schedules with sports and other events... up late, drug all over town, napping in the car etc. Its been crazy. I have another who falls asleep on the grass almost daily but that's another story
all 10 are under age 2???? omg i would cry how do you do it ?
Blackcat31 03:02 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I find summer to be stressful as a parent let alone a provider. I don't work as much right now so at least I get a break from technical "work" but it is constant go go go!! As a parent to small kids I don't ever really get a break

I try really hard to keep my kids on a healthy strict diet and good bed time routines to manage their moods and it is sooooo hard when we go camping or get invited out every weekend. Just this week we went to my neighbours for an evening of hot dogs, freezies, marshmallows and swimming. Didn't get home until 9pm I paid for it the next day let me tell you. Then we go camping and who wants to eat salad?? Ugh.
Yes! Summer is tough as a parent.
Routine? Forget about it...

It stays day light a lot longer, the activities are abundant in comparison to winter months and you try to pack it all into a few short months. It might be more true for those of us that have seasons vs those with sun/no snow year round ..

As a daycare provider it's hard too... like MV I don't take SA kids so it helps but I've found the easiest thing for me is free play all day over the summer and back to a more structured curriculum during the school year. That way we all get a break and get to just enjoy summer!
storybookending 05:27 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes! Summer is tough as a parent.
Routine? Forget about it...

It stays day light a lot longer, the activities are abundant in comparison to winter months and you try to pack it all into a few short months. It might be more true for those of us that have seasons vs those with sun/no snow year round ..

As a daycare provider it's hard too... like MV I don't take SA kids so it helps but I've found the easiest thing for me is free play all day over the summer and back to a more structured curriculum during the school year. That way we all get a break and get to just enjoy summer!
I'm glad that someone else feels this way. I was starting to feel a little guilty about the lack to curriculum the last few months. DCG3 asked me the other day why we haven't been doing circle time as we were on an every day habit during the school year. I just have a hard time sacrificing our few nice weather months inside doing those types of things when we can be outside running around, going on walks, playing in the sandbox etc.
Ariana 06:05 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I'm glad that someone else feels this way. I was starting to feel a little guilty about the lack to curriculum the last few months. DCG3 asked me the other day why we haven't been doing circle time as we were on an every day habit during the school year. I just have a hard time sacrificing our few nice weather months inside doing those types of things when we can be outside running around, going on walks, playing in the sandbox etc.
I tried to do themes this summer just to add some structure and I find it helps me pass the summer with my 8 year old. Oh boy. This week was baking and cooking week but every time we went outside the kids found frogs and well...that was the end of cooking and baking activities

We spend most of our time outside in the summer having fun! It will be a long winter of inside structured activities soon enough so don't be too hard on yourself. Balance is key
hgonzalez 04:43 AM 08-30-2017
My summer was awful this year as well. I have never had so many behavior problems under my roof. I termed 2 families due to behavior issues (one was a constant biter, screamer and mean kid and one was a 5 year old that tried to hit me in the face) and added 2 families. That was extremely stressful, as was the constant interviewing.

I have 2 school agers that have both been with me since they were infants. They are normally a great addition to my group, but this year they don't listen, they say inappropriate things and are noisy during quiet time. I care deeply about them, but I will be glad when they are not here. They are too much for the rest of my younger kiddos.

I can't wait for things to settle down a bit next week and maybe I can breathe a bit and get back to enjoying my job.
jenboo 06:10 AM 08-30-2017
Originally Posted by daycare:
all 10 are under age 2???? omg i would cry how do you do it ?
Right now i cry most days 😂 i have a really challenging infant... but usually it's pretty chill. Most of our kids are aging out and are being replaced with infants which is a hard transition.
There are two adults here so that's nice.
Tags:summer - over it, summer break, summer program
Reply Up