Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Gifts For Kids Going To Preschool?

Do you give gifts to your kids who are leaving your program for preschool? If you do what types of things do you give or do for your daycare child's last day?

The child that is leaving is 4 and I've had them in my program since they were 6 months old.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you give gifts to your kids who are leaving your program for preschool? If you do what types of things do you give or do for your daycare child's last day?

The child that is leaving is 4 and I've had them in my program since they were 6 months old.
Kids I've had since infancy that age out of my program are given a backpack with all their school supplies in it and a Dr Suess book.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:35 PM
finsup's Avatar
finsup finsup is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default

I've got one leaving that I've had since he was 2 months old. I printed off all the photos I have of him here from the start and tomorrow we'll work as a group to cut them smaller and make a scrap book for him. Then a special treat snack in the afternoon. I almost went with a photo book but this way really gets everyone involved and it will be fun for them to look back at the last 4 years. And fun for the younger ones to see what we did before they were even born lol.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,261
Default

When I had kids leave after that long they got a daycare book with pictures through the years.I also crochet each a blanket with colors they picked.I would start crocheting while they had free play each day.We called it a warm hug from Nana(that's what they called me).In the later years the book was easy to download the pictures to walgreens and print it out.They really seemed to like it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Kids I've had since infancy that age out of my program are given a backpack with all their school supplies in it and a Dr Suess book.
Same here for about 10 years, now. I also do the little cap and gown thing because I like to.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2017, 01:05 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post
I've got one leaving that I've had since he was 2 months old. I printed off all the photos I have of him here from the start and tomorrow we'll work as a group to cut them smaller and make a scrap book for him. Then a special treat snack in the afternoon. I almost went with a photo book but this way really gets everyone involved and it will be fun for them to look back at the last 4 years. And fun for the younger ones to see what we did before they were even born lol.
I take pictures of the kids throughout their time here. When they leave for good, I download their pictures to Shutterfly and make a photo album for them. I put the album in a tote bag along with a copy of the book, "The Night Before Preschool". I also include crayons or markers and a drawing pad. If there's something special from the day care they've formed an attachment to, I will sometimes put that in their bag, too, if it won't be missed by anyone else.

I love the idea of making a scrap book with the kids! I used to hand make photo albums for my kids but Shutterfly makes it so easy to do. The scrap book feels much more personal, though, and the kids love looking at pictures and talking about their memories. I may have to give some thought to using that idea if you don't mind.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2017, 05:40 PM
LK5kids's Avatar
LK5kids LK5kids is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,219
Default

Photo album!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-24-2017, 06:57 PM
finsup's Avatar
finsup finsup is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I take pictures of the kids throughout their time here. When they leave for good, I download their pictures to Shutterfly and make a photo album for them. I put the album in a tote bag along with a copy of the book, "The Night Before Preschool". I also include crayons or markers and a drawing pad. If there's something special from the day care they've formed an attachment to, I will sometimes put that in their bag, too, if it won't be missed by anyone else.

I love the idea of making a scrap book with the kids! I used to hand make photo albums for my kids but Shutterfly makes it so easy to do. The scrap book feels much more personal, though, and the kids love looking at pictures and talking about their memories. I may have to give some thought to using that idea if you don't mind.
Sure! I'd like to say it's because of my thoughtfulness that we do it like this...but...it's not it's my hated of technology and photo books have taken me forever. So many upload attempts, so much crashes before work was saved (never tried Shutterfly though, just CVS, Walgreens etc) I have the worst luck with it so I do this instead. It is fun though! I like your bag and book idea too though, if I had more time I would add that as well!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-24-2017, 07:52 PM
bklsmum's Avatar
bklsmum bklsmum is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 559
Default

I just went easy this year and bought them all scented backpack clips from Scentsy. They LOVED them.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-24-2017, 08:19 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 973
Default

BONGO!! we have a travling class monkey(the beanie baby version) so on their last day they get to take home bongos brother or sister to keep. I have about 40 bongos in a box in my storage unit lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2017, 06:46 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

A swift kick in the rear? Kidding...well, maybe not for one this year. I'm throwing a party on his last day. My hubby and ds even have a countdown going. 3 weeks

I have no clue. I'm too lazy to scrapbook a zillion pics. I want easy. I have so much other work to do. Probably a book.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-25-2017, 06:47 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

I do like the backpack idea...but my kids have had their backpacks for a solid month now. They take joy in picking those out with their parents.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
I'm too lazy to scrapbook a zillion pics. I want easy. I have so much other work to do.

I do like the backpack idea...but my kids have had their backpacks for a solid month now. They take joy in picking those out with their parents.
That is why I do the art backpacks. They have them at Sam's Club a few times a year cheap, so I grab 6-12 at a time. I re-stock every 5 years, or so. Toss in some pencils, erasers, glue sticks and a couple composition books and you are done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg art backpack.jpg (60.8 KB, 3 views)
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

party, cap-gown and a photo book
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 AM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
That is why I do the art backpacks. They have them at Sam's Club a few times a year cheap, so I grab 6-12 at a time. I re-stock every 5 years, or so. Toss in some pencils, erasers, glue sticks and a couple composition books and you are done.
Oh wow, cool!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,466
Default

Walmart has these for $20 right now. I grabbed 6 for Christmas gifts next year.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Walmart has these for $20 right now. I grabbed 6 for Christmas gifts next year.
Are they online?

May I please have the link if so?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
Are they online?

May I please have the link if so?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-C...-More/45825256
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga View Post
Are they online?

May I please have the link if so?
The Art Buddy Back Packs are online too

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-A...-Pack/23081077
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-25-2017, 10:34 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,466
Default

The backpacks go down to $10 at Sam's periodically, though.

Just saw the link. They are down right now from $30 this morning.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-25-2017, 01:06 PM
e.j.'s Avatar
e.j. e.j. is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post
Sure! I'd like to say it's because of my thoughtfulness that we do it like this...but...it's not
Well, it's thoughtful just the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post
it's my hated of technology and photo books have taken me forever. So many upload attempts, so much crashes before work was saved (never tried Shutterfly though, just CVS, Walgreens etc) I have the worst luck with it so I do this instead. It is fun though!
I'm technology challenged, too and it is time consuming because I do a lot of editing and use the custom design feature but if "I" can make a photo album using Shutterfly...anyone can! When I'm crunched for time because a parent gives a 2 week notice at the latest date possible, I just use their Simple Path method and with a few adjustments, it's quick and easy and still looks great. They send me a lot of 50% off deals, too, so it's not all that expensive. I think it cost me more in ink and paper when I was printing out my own photos to make an album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsup View Post
I like your bag and book idea too though, if I had more time I would add that as well!
Thanks! I buy a 3-pack of canvas tote bags at Walmart so those are inexpensive. I usually decorate the bags using
fabric markers to trace the hand prints of all of the kids who are here at the time. I think it looks pretty cute when it's done.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-25-2017, 01:34 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
The Art Buddy Back Packs are online too

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crayola-A...-Pack/23081077
Thank you! These both are super cute.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-25-2017, 08:16 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.j. View Post
I buy a 3-pack of canvas tote bags at Walmart so those are inexpensive. I usually decorate the bags using
fabric markers to trace the hand prints of all of the kids who are here at the time. I think it looks pretty cute when it's done.
We did regular acrylic paint with fabric medium mixed in. machine safe and easy to stamp hands! I had a bag with my littles hands on it for years (I taught preschool). When it finally broke I cried.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gifts, preschool, preschool graduation gifts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advocate for "Real" Preschool jojosmommy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 40 06-08-2017 09:38 PM
Preschool Question NoMoreJuice! Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 02-13-2014 07:58 PM
Established Dayhome Adding A Pre-School Program Wigglesandgiggles Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 1 07-01-2012 08:33 PM
Daycare is Charging Me for Hours He's in Preschool? nikkimcc Parents and Guardians Forum 19 04-05-2009 05:53 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming