Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Picky Eaters!!!
sahm2three 06:55 AM 06-22-2010
UGH! I am telling you, I don't know what these kids are eating at home, but they are the PICKIEST eaters here! Not all of them, but a good majority. I made pancakes and served fresh strawberries with it and a few of the kids had NEVER eaten strawberries!!! WHAT?! I asked parents if anyone had allergies and they all said no. So before I served them strawberries I texted the parents of the kids that said they hadn't ever had strawberries to find out for sure and they said things like "well they have had strawberry yogurt" or something similar. Sooooooo, I cut strawberries up and served it and there were kids that sat at the table for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than they normally do because my rule is Two Bites To Be Polite. Honestly, I just can't imagine what they are eating at home! I have always fed my kids plenty of fruits and veggies. Not to say that I don't have a picky eater too. Because I do. But same rules apply, two bites to be polite. And they know it and if it is something they don't like, they still eat at least two bites. I asked one of the boys, "Doesn't your mommy feed you fruit and veggies?" He said, "No, we eat pizza and McDonalds." Fantastic. I just can't imagine!!!
momma2girls 07:15 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
UGH! I am telling you, I don't know what these kids are eating at home, but they are the PICKIEST eaters here! Not all of them, but a good majority. I made pancakes and served fresh strawberries with it and a few of the kids had NEVER eaten strawberries!!! WHAT?! I asked parents if anyone had allergies and they all said no. So before I served them strawberries I texted the parents of the kids that said they hadn't ever had strawberries to find out for sure and they said things like "well they have had strawberry yogurt" or something similar. Sooooooo, I cut strawberries up and served it and there were kids that sat at the table for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than they normally do because my rule is Two Bites To Be Polite. Honestly, I just can't imagine what they are eating at home! I have always fed my kids plenty of fruits and veggies. Not to say that I don't have a picky eater too. Because I do. But same rules apply, two bites to be polite. And they know it and if it is something they don't like, they still eat at least two bites. I asked one of the boys, "Doesn't your mommy feed you fruit and veggies?" He said, "No, we eat pizza and McDonalds." Fantastic. I just can't imagine!!!
WOW!!!! I am the same way- one fillin boy I have only eats chicken nuggets, and mac. and cheese, and sandwiches for his other daycare, and she allows this, she does the same thing lunch after lunch!! Once we had soup, and he woudn't touch it, amonst other things- if a child doesn't eat, what is on his plate, I tell them they will be very hungry, until snacks then. He doesn't seem to care!!! He asks me everytime, "what is this?" It is soup, don't you ever eat soup at home, he replies, yuck, no!!!! WOW!! He will be starting Kindergarten this yr. as well. Boy is he going to be hungry all the time, unless his parents pack a lunch each day for him!!! I would never allow my own child to be this way!!! They eat the same as what we eat.
TGT09 09:06 AM 06-22-2010
I have some picky eaters too but mostly my 8yo dcg! I have the 2 bite rule also. I'm SOOO sick of wasting food though! It drives me crazy!
Persephone 09:08 AM 06-22-2010
I've got the same thing here! These two kids are SO PICKY it's not even funny!

They don't like many fruits either! What kids doesn't eat fruit???

We had fresh raspberries and they didn't like them. Most fruits but like canned peaches!

My son is picky but not like this picky!
MN Mom 09:11 AM 06-22-2010
My DCB's always eat out (McDonalds, Subway, BKing etc) for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner when they are with the parents. The 5 year old gags on all his veggies here..and then pukes them up at home (this has happened on every occasion I have served him veggies, so now I only do fruits for him), the 9yo boy will eat them...slowly. They have never been made to eat veggies at home, and now they are steering their 7month old in the same direction. Mom only buys him baby food fruits. I buy veggies for him and he gags every bite. It's sad that many children are raised to have a taste for only salt and sweets =(

professionalmom 09:25 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by MN Mom:
My DCB's always eat out (McDonalds, Subway, BKing etc) for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner when they are with the parents. The 5 year old gags on all his veggies here..and then pukes them up at home (this has happened on every occasion I have served him veggies, so now I only do fruits for him), the 9yo boy will eat them...slowly. They have never been made to eat veggies at home, and now they are steering their 7month old in the same direction. Mom only buys him baby food fruits. I buy veggies for him and he gags every bite. It's sad that many children are raised to have a taste for only salt and sweets =(

Aside from the obviously unhealthy habits, what the heck do these parents do for a living that allows them to be able to afford daycare AND eating out for every meal! Heck, they wouldn't NEED that second income if one parent just stayed home and made healthy home cooked meals. But, I digress. Can we say obesity and heart attacks at young ages?! I'm not perfect, but these types of parents make me look like Mother-of-the-Year!
katie 09:31 AM 06-22-2010
Same here. Just got a new dck and on day 1 she stared at her food. I my house, you don't eat your meal..no snacks later! Otherwise they fill up on crackers, etc. So she stared at both meals. Not one bite. At pickup time as soon as mom walked in the door she went nuts crying for crackers. Her mom let her have them!!!! Now dinner is ruined too!
professionalmom 09:36 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by katie:
Same here. Just got a new dck and on day 1 she stared at her food. I my house, you don't eat your meal..no snacks later! Otherwise they fill up on crackers, etc. So she stared at both meals. Not one bite. At pickup time as soon as mom walked in the door she went nuts crying for crackers. Her mom let her have them!!!! Now dinner is ruined too!
I'm shaking my head in shame for these parents.
melskids 09:49 AM 06-22-2010
i had one mom flip out on me cause i gave her precious daughter yellow american cheese and not white. ( because they use chemicals to color it yellow) yet she bribes her to get in the car with pop tarts and m&m's. i just dont get some people.....
QualiTcare 09:49 AM 06-22-2010
i can tell you what they feed them - anything they can sit in front of the TV with without making a mess.

i had a one year old who wouldn't eat watermelon, canteloupe, or peaches. i told his mom and she said she didn't think he liked fruit. i tried to feed him corn the next day and he spit that out too. then, i watched her five year old one day and i made tuna casserole for dinner and both of my kids ate every bite of it. her kid didn't eat any of it and then came and asked if he could have cheez itz! i gave them to him cus i didn't want him to starve AND it was the only day i was watching him so i wasn't trying to change his habits. it's funny though cus the mom is a health nut and works out all the time but then feeds her kids garbage. that's obvious.

there is NOTHING my own kids don't like. seriously, not one thing so far they won't eat. my daughter is eating green olives out of a jar right now. i let them choose what they want to eat for the most part and they usually always choose something healthy cus they don't know fruit is a "good food" and cakes are "bad." ever seen a kid whose mom never lets them have sugar? they will tear up a bag of oreos if given the chance.
MN Mom 10:01 AM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
Aside from the obviously unhealthy habits, what the heck do these parents do for a living that allows them to be able to afford daycare AND eating out for every meal! Heck, they wouldn't NEED that second income if one parent just stayed home and made healthy home cooked meals. But, I digress. Can we say obesity and heart attacks at young ages?! I'm not perfect, but these types of parents make me look like Mother-of-the-Year!
Actually, they are farm laborers. They work on our farm (my husband helps his father run it). They don't make a lot, so I (doing a favor for my father-in-law) am doing care for them CHEAP(140/wk for 3 boys). I know their previous provider charged 35/day per child...but I doubt that deterred them from eating out. It sure doesn't look like it by the eating habits of their children.
mainemomma 10:30 AM 06-22-2010
I like that...One Bite To Be Polite...I am stealing it!!!

I have a VERY picky 8 year old...however EVERYONE EVEN THE SCHOOL cater's to it...she now does it 'cause she can' and its at this point for attention and special treatment (mom is single with 4 kids, one being special needs)..anyways...she eat's ONE veggy, cucumbers - one fruit, strawberries - one kind of chips, lays plain - one cracker, saltines and will only eat Mac N Cheese from the box or turkey and american dry on white.

I hear all day...what is that...well I dont like it....sigh..

I started the food program this week and its been a ruff start (i refuse to make more than one meal!!!!)...hopefully by the end of summer she will be atleast a LITTLE less picky ugh!

Melissa
professionalmom 10:37 AM 06-22-2010
Actually, they are farm laborers. They work on our farm (my husband helps his father run it). They don't make a lot, so I (doing a favor for my father-in-law) am doing care for them CHEAP(140/wk for 3 boys). I know their previous provider charged 35/day per child...but I doubt that deterred them from eating out. It sure doesn't look like it by the eating habits of their children.
$140/per for 3 kids? The are farm laborers and eat like this? That's all I can say -
nannyde 11:01 AM 06-22-2010
I'm SO glad I don't have this. My kids are foodies. This is what we had for lunch today. Phesant, organic sweet potatoes, and local organic asparagus. I made the pheasant in a peach sauce with rosmary and garlic. The sweet potatoes and the asparagus are plain.
Attached: 028.jpg (95.7 KB) 
safechner 11:23 AM 06-22-2010
I thank god my kids love to eat anything. They are not picky eaters! That is funny I used to be picky eater when I grew up. I dont eat any veggies at all. I got pregnant with my first child when I was 22 years old and I wouldnt eat veggies. My husband fed up with me and forced me to eat veggies. Of course, I cried and I called my mother about it. My mother said, "you have to eat veggies because it would be good for baby." I was pretty surprised how my husband acts but I am glad he forced me to eat it. I started to eat veggies at first and I started like it. Now I do eat all of veggies but only thing I dont like to eat raw tomato and cheese sliced.

Now my sister and brother don't eat veggies but they only like to eat corn cob. That is really odd so I guess it is my parents' fault, lol... That is only reason I dont want to follow my parents.
Greenshadow 12:18 PM 06-22-2010
I have a picky eater here too. She turned 2 in January. I cant get her to eat hardly anything healthy. She is also the child who doesnt know how to pull her own pants down and go potty. She doesnt know how to turn a knob and open a door. She doesnt know how to put a shoe on. My 2 year old son helps her. She wont eat any veggies, some fruits, no meat. She loves pb&j and junk like that. Nothing healthy at all. Her parents reward her with junkfood when she poops in the potty here so I quit telling her mom that she does. I think thats ridiculous to bribe your children with candy and junk. So sad.
booroo 03:07 PM 06-22-2010

This is just unacceptable, how the heck can they live like this, no wonder you have such cheap dc for them... I have serious issue with eating all fast food meals, that us just setting yourself up for serious healthy issues!!!
And to the poster that said tearing open and Oreo, oh I have seen that.. Just crazy, moderation people moderation..
Tags:picky eater
Reply Up