Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Parents
Lolasmom 09:39 AM 10-25-2019
Hi, first timer here..... I work in a preschool that ends at 3:30pm and we have parents that are continually rolling in at 3:33 and 3:35. This really isn't a huge issue to me but I have a few teachers that it really bugs. I have sent notes home to all parents letting them know we have other responsibilities after 3:30 so please be prompt as well as notes home that say you need to be walking back out the door at 3:30 and not in..... you get the point...
I personally think its silly to charge a parent $1-2 dollars but I also know I need to set a precedence that you do not need to be late and take advantage of us.. I also do not want it to be uncomfortable and have the parents walk in and me say you are late and you owe $.....
I need some suggestions as to how to say to the parents or get the point across nicely but firmly that you need to be getting here sooner.. Thank you in advance.....
Cat Herder 09:54 AM 10-25-2019
If you don't enforce your policies why should they follow them? Silly or not you need to charge them. Time costs money. They need to learn that.

Do you not pay your teachers overtime? Where does that money come from?

Stick around. We will get you toughened up.
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 10-25-2019
Originally Posted by Lolasmom:
I need some suggestions as to how to say to the parents or get the point across nicely but firmly that you need to be getting here sooner.. Thank you in advance.....
They already understand. They just don't care.
There is no reason to if there is no consequence for it.
Lolasmom 10:17 AM 10-25-2019
I know…. I just need some help with how to say it politely and firmly when there are several standing in front of me gathering their children?
Ms.Kay 10:20 AM 10-25-2019
Originally Posted by Lolasmom:
I know…. I just need some help with how to say it politely and firmly when there are several standing in front of me gathering their children?
Put a list outside the door with the parents name on it and the late fee owed...visible to everyone.
Lolasmom 10:31 AM 10-25-2019
Thank you....
Cat Herder 11:05 AM 10-25-2019
Do they sign in and sign out each day with timeclock? It is legally required, here. If so simply add the number of minutes over each week to next week's invoice. $1 per minute. It works well for people who are not great at face to face conflict. Managers need to get good with it, though. It is one of the job responsibilities.

Personally, I make them bring me cash the next morning or turn them away at the door, with their child in tow, to go get it. When it costs them time and money, it stops. You only have to do it once.
LilithSamael 11:21 AM 10-25-2019
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
Put a list outside the door with the parents name on it and the late fee owed...visible to everyone.
This might be illegal and you could get sued, don't do it.

You should send a letter to all parents that pickup and drop off times are to be on time, something similar to the first letter you say you sent. This time include that you will be charging extra for anytime after 3:30p, this way everyone knows your policy. For those that still ignore it, add it to their bill. If they complain, you can apologize and tell them they have been notified and times need to be kept.
Cat Herder 12:34 PM 10-25-2019
Originally Posted by LilithSamael:
This might be illegal and you could get sued, don't do it.

You should send a letter to all parents that pickup and drop off times are to be on time, something similar to the first letter you say you sent. This time include that you will be charging extra for anytime after 3:30p, this way everyone knows your policy. For those that still ignore it, add it to their bill. If they complain, you can apologize and tell them they have been notified and times need to be kept.
I agree with this EXCEPT you should never apologize for enforcing your policies. Use any other statement possible, but don't say you are sorry for it. It undermines your entire goal.

"I understand you are upset and I agree it can be frustrating not knowing what your bill will be every week. If you would simply have your child in your car by 330 you would not have these charges. It really is up to you to manage, only you can fix this problem."
Former Teacher 06:21 PM 10-25-2019
At my former center, I also would feel silly about charging after 1-2 mins. I felt more comfortable after the 3 min mark.

There was this one parent who was CONSTANTLY 1-2 mins. Occasionally it would be the 3 min mark but that was rarely. She was the type that she basically wanted to get her moneys worth. She would go home and wait until the last possible moment to pick up.

We closed at 6:30. She waltzed in one day at 6:32 after her son (who was a usually a brat lol) was in care almost 12 hours. "Come on Joseph! Time to go home!".

"Yvette- your late fee will be $5." It was $5 within the first 5 mins and then $1 each additional min PER CHILD.

"What?!? You are going to charge me!"

"Yes. Your late fee is $5".

"What?!!? You are going to charge me over 2 mins?!"

"YES. I could have been out to my car by now. Actually and not to be rude but I could have been home because the last child left over 20 mins ago. But Joseph and I had some good quality time organizing some things. "

Well she paid. And ironically she was never late again
284878 09:53 AM 10-26-2019
Make an note that says, you were late today to get your child, please bring late fee in the morning. Your child can not attend until late fee is paid. Late fee is $1 a minute.
Date it and Pin it to the child's back the second you are closed.

Have the teacher note the time.
Take a picture of the kids that are still there. Change the pen color for sign in sheet or highlight the time picked up. Or change the sign in sheet all together to a late sheet that says your late on the top (different color)
Meeko 07:15 PM 10-27-2019
Originally Posted by 284878:
Make an note that says, you were late today to get your child, please bring late fee in the morning. Your child can not attend until late fee is paid. Late fee is $1 a minute.
Date it and Pin it to the child's back the second you are closed.

Have the teacher note the time.
Take a picture of the kids that are still there. Change the pen color for sign in sheet or highlight the time picked up. Or change the sign in sheet all together to a late sheet that says your late on the top (different color)
I have a sign in/out folder in my entry. But at 6PM, the second I close, it is replaced with a bright red folder and a late sign out sheet. Top of the sheet explains in bold letters, that the late fee is due before their child can return to daycare...ie...the next morning at drop off. I fill in the times they arrived and they have to sign it before leaving.
Leigh 10:15 AM 10-31-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They already understand. They just don't care.
There is no reason to if there is no consequence for it.
Exactly. And, if it keeps happening, the consequence is not big enough to be a deterrent. $1/min, $2/min aren't enough to keep them from being late or even enough for them to think it is worth paying. It has to be enough to inconvienience them for them to stop inconveniencing you. I think, in anywhere with an assistant or where someone other than the owner is forced to stay late, that they should be paying cash to the employee when they pick up at their overtime rate for double the employee's hourly rate. An employee who makes $15/hour who has to stay late for a parent should get $30/child cash AT PICKUP from that parent to pay them for babysitting after their job ended at 5:30 or whenever. Something like that is what's necessary. And, if $30 doesn't do it, raise it to $50 or $60.
Tags:backbone, enforcing policies - consistency, late arrivals, late fee, late fee - letter, late fee letter, management, professionalism
Reply Up