Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help with a Response
Unregistered 01:39 PM 01-10-2020
Logged out for privacy

I can't seem to find the right words today.

I had a former dcf contact me about a month ago wanting to know about coming back in February. I let dcm know what I would have available. Well, things changed and I no longer have available what I said at that time.

I'm meeting with someone tomorrow about care. I'm not sure what days she will pick (or if she will even enroll), but I received a message from former dcm wanting to start next month and asked if certain 2 days would work. If this dcm tomorrow picks a certain day then I will no longer have availability on that day. (Does that make sense? lol) Another issue is former dcm is expecting in several months and wants a spot for her newborn as well after her maternity leave.

How do I let former dcm know that A - I may not have availability on one of the days she needs if dcm tomorrow wants that day, and B - I can't guarantee a newborn spot and will not hold one for her.

Know what's crazy?

The dcm that is interviewing tomorrow will be former dcm boss.
Snowmom 02:32 PM 01-10-2020
Why is this a FORMER client?

Personally, if someone leaves my daycare, I don't take them back. UNLESS the child they had aged out and a new one comes in.

I guess looking at your situation from an outside perspective, I would tell former dcm that a new client has put down a deposit and is waiting to finalize their schedule. So, you won't know what days are available until after the paperwork is done (give a specific date to get back to her).

Then I'd also say that without a deposit to secure the spot, daycare is not guaranteed. This applies to any future openings as well.
MelissaP 02:48 PM 01-10-2020
I'm the same way. If a family leaves, there's a reason so I do not except them back. I had one that left for nanny care and then called me a few months back (about 6 months after leaving) asking for references for another nanny and if they can't find one (their kids were super bad and not disciplined at all) if they could come back here.. nope. You left for greener pastures previously (it was on good terms and I could handle the kids (4 of them). My background is with troubled youth). I wont let that happen again. Come back, just to leave again when the opportunity arises. No thanks!
dolores 03:18 PM 01-10-2020
I ALWAYS tell families that spot with a specific start date will be secured when a nonrefundable enrollment deposit is made otherwise I cannot guarantee a spot as they are filled on a first deposit basis. Additionally, regular (weekly/monthly) payments are required to continue to hold spot beyond the initial agreed upon date should you need an extension (this is included in contract).
As far as days no longer available, it does not sound like she made a deposit so they did not belong to her. Just say "these are the days I have available now. Would you like to make a deposit now to secure those days for little Johnny? I don't know how much longer they will be available".
Unregistered 03:30 PM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Why is this a FORMER client?

Personally, if someone leaves my daycare, I don't take them back. UNLESS the child they had aged out and a new one comes in.

I guess looking at your situation from an outside perspective, I would tell former dcm that a new client has put down a deposit and is waiting to finalize their schedule. So, you won't know what days are available until after the paperwork is done (give a specific date to get back to her).

Then I'd also say that without a deposit to secure the spot, daycare is not guaranteed. This applies to any future openings as well.
She stopped working and that's why she pulled dcb from care.

Looking back, I wish I would have said "that's what I have available RIGHT NOW, but I can't guarantee it will be available when you need care."

Lesson learned!
Blackcat31 04:30 PM 01-10-2020
Just email her and say something like “Hi DCM, I just wanted to reach out and let you know that the availability we were discussing for next month is unfortunately no longer available. However I will let you know when I have any schedule changes or openings if you’d like.”

If she asks just tell her you had some schedule changes. She doesn’t need to know who or that you did or didn’t enroll anyone new.

She left.

Current clients and those that need care now (not next month) deserve priority.
Tags:schedule change, schedule change letter, schedule changes
Reply Up