Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Crying At Nap Time
laceylmm 11:15 AM 01-29-2014
I'm on day seven snow day. Dcg 6 is crying that mom doesn't want them taking a nap because they don't sleep at night. And that they have to watch a movie. I told her I am not running my tv all day so you don't have to lay down. Mom has mentioned before that they won't sleep at night but on day seven of snow days I'm really not that concerned with their home sleeping schedule. Especially when all these girls do is Run run run! And they never just watch a movie...I've tried it. They get up, they get down, they flip, they ask for water, they barely watch the movie. No movie... Asleep in 15 minutes. These are the same girls whose mom doesn't bring coats and they run from her every night around the car and laugh at her. I don't really think a nap here is affecting them not listening to her.
Annalee 11:18 AM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by laceylmm:
I'm on day seven snow day. Dcg 6 is crying that mom doesn't want them taking a nap because they don't sleep at night. And that they have to watch a movie. I told her I am not running my tv all day so you don't have to lay down. Mom has mentioned before that they won't sleep at night but on day seven of snow days I'm really not that concerned with their home sleeping schedule. Especially when all these girls do is Run run run! And they never just watch a movie...I've tried it. They get up, they get down, they flip, they ask for water, they barely watch the movie. No movie... Asleep in 15 minutes. These are the same girls whose mom doesn't bring coats and they run from her every night around the car and laugh at her. I don't really think a nap here is affecting them not listening to her.
Nap is non-negotiable here. I believe why most parents can't get their kids to go to bed is everyone co-sleeps now and the kids are up as long as the parents. Same with every other battle, the kids do exactly what THEY won't.
laceylmm 11:30 AM 01-29-2014
And I almost feel bad making a six year old lay down. But this girl needs it! I'd rather keep her 4yr old sister up than her. Not to mention there are other kids that do need a nap.
KSDC 12:41 PM 01-29-2014
No TV at naptime here either.
But, I don't "make" my SA nap either. They do have to lie down and read books for the first 30 minutes of naptime. This is total silent time. Not even whispering. Then, if they didn't fall asleep, they are allowed to get up and play quietly. If they can't stay quiet, then they loose the privilege of playing and have to lie back down with their books.
sharlan 12:48 PM 01-29-2014
If she falls asleep in 15 mins, she needs the sleep.
Leigh 01:35 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by laceylmm:
And I almost feel bad making a six year old lay down. But this girl needs it! I'd rather keep her 4yr old sister up than her. Not to mention there are other kids that do need a nap.
I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. I have a 4 year old whose mom told him not to go to sleep at nap time because he won't sleep at night (did she think he wouldn't tell me that?!). I had a talk with her about it and explained that my pediatrician (and hers, too) said that ALL kids need naps at least THROUGH age 6, and that there is no way that a 4 year old isn't napping at my house. His behaviors are terrible if he doesn't sleep, and it's not going on here. She still withholds naps on weekends, and Mondays and Tuesdays are horrible for him.
Tags:naptime issues, parent request - no nap
Reply Up