Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Here's My Set-Up - Looking For Naptime Ideas
Jessie 05:57 AM 01-27-2012
I have a pretty new program - I've just been running since early december with a 17 month old and my 11 month old daughter, with an 8 week old coming at the end of next month. I'm licensed for my basement and first floor - the basement is devided into 3 separate rooms, and I'm using 2 of them as designated daycare space, a playroom, and what I anticipated would be a little napping room for babies while bigger kids play. (Although I could use the 3rd room, kind of an office right now, to put a child down in.)

Right now, the toddler doesn't take a morning nap, but my daughter does, and it seems to be working ok that he sits quietly in the living room and I put my daughter down for a nap in her room upstairs. The amount of time he'll sit quietly has been getting shorter and shorter though, and I'm betting it won't be long before this just doesn't work at all. Technically, all the kids should nap on the same level of the house according to my state regs, but she's a light sleeper and desperately needs naps, and since she's my daughter, I can put her wherever, so that's how it is for now. I'm just sort of anticipating things will get shaken up a bit when the baby comes in March, so I'm looking for ideas for how to do naps - particularly the morning one.

One thought - instead of spending our morning on the first floor, I could start the day in the basement and let toddler play while I put down my daughter and the baby in the various other basement spaces. My only concern is that one of the rooms has no window, and I know that its important for babies to nap in natural light so they develop healthy sleep cycles. I also am skeptical that the toddler can play quietly and indepenently in a room full of toys while I get smaller kids down.

The other option is to keep doing what I'm doing - just add the baby's crib somewhere on the first floor, get my daughter down, and try to keep the toddler quiet. The issue there is that my first floor is one giant open floor plan - no doors to shut, no way to keep from waking the baby while I try to quietly entertain the toddler. I'd still like to keep PM nap on this floor too, so that I'm not stuck in the basement all afternoon while kids sleep (regs also require me to be on the same level as the nappers). Also I wonder if for consistancy's sake, nap has to always happen in the same place, whether it's morning or afternoon.

Anyway -sorry so long, I'm sure that whatever I come up with i'll end up adjusting, I think I just have a lot of anxiety around naptimes, since it took me so long to come up with the arrangement I have now - for just 2 kids! I just think I've got a lot to work with, just curious how others would use the space!
Heidi 11:28 AM 01-27-2012
No takers yet? well, I'll go...

I would say, pick one level of your home, and use it for the daycare, keep the rest for your family. Even if it means spending the whole day downstairs, I guess that's what I would do. Do you have meal accomidations down there?

In WI, we don't have to be on the same level when the children sleep. I am very grateful for that. I couldn't even do dc in my house if that was a requirement!
REWALKER04 11:39 AM 01-27-2012
since its your own daughter she can sleep upstairs while you are still down stairs playing just use a baby monitor. with a new baby they will probably be able to sleep downstairs for awhile even with the noise of the other child playing as most little babies sleep through alot of noise. By the time the baby is old enough that it needs a quiter place maybe you will have the naptime area set up for that one downstairs.all of my kids sleep in different rooms so that they all can take there best naps and not have to be woken up by another awake child. But I also live in wisconsin and dont have to be on the same level. Could you put a pack and play in your room or something so that the new baby could sleep there when you take naps so you dont have to be downstairs? just trying to think of options!
cheerfuldom 02:11 PM 01-27-2012
My first thought is that you should not take anymore kids under 2. 3 will be a handful even if you add older kids. Besides that, do you think your daughter will be able to transition to one nap per day anytime soon? The infant should be okay with napping next to the playroom. Just use white noise and he will get used to it. I dont have a problem with napping kids in a window less room (unless it is against regulations). I cover the window with a blackout curtain anyway so whats the difference?
e.j. 05:19 PM 01-27-2012
For the time being, do you think some white noise in your dd's room would help block out any noise the 17m old is making while your dd is taking her morning nap? Do you think your dd might be ready to switch to one nap by March? Maybe adjust nap time so that it's a little later than what she's used to and a little earlier than the 17m old is used to -- kind of meet in the middle? -- to see if you could combine both into one nap.

In MA, don't forget that you have to keep the baby under "direct visual supervision at all times" during the first 6 weeks they're in your care. I've only had one infant in my care since that regulation went in and thank goodness he can sleep through almost anything. He's used to noise and being put down with little fanfare. I'd talk to the baby's parents to ask them to expose the baby to some noise, especially if the baby is their first and their home is very quiet.
Abigail 10:57 AM 01-29-2012
I agree pick ONE level of your home. When you get more kids you will have such a hassle following all the rules for licensing. All kids under a certain age must be in hearing and visual view and you can't leave little's alone with toddlers who might hurt them while you use the bathroom, and more.....

My whole house is licensed, but I only do daycare downstairs and only show parents the downstairs. I had to put in outlet covers upstairs and install a top of the stairs gate that I don't put on the hinges unless I need too. I figured I would have my whole house licensed so if i ever did infant care later into the day I could come upstairs and watch the news or something as we don't have a tv in the daycare area.

You should really put a cd player with lullaby/sleep time music on everyday. That will work best once you get 2+ year old children. Have a routine from day one and stick to it. You should keep your daughter on the same level too. I'm not sure if you're licensed, but if you ever did become licensed it's probably a rule in your state to be on the same level. You're suppose to check on a sleeping baby every 15 minutes so do you really go upstairs that often to check on your daughter while leaving other children unattended? That's not so great either. Honestly it's going to be hard when you have another baby because you'll have to take that baby upstairs with you to check on her and it will just become a hassle.

Having those ages is great though because come summertime your daughter will be well walking and you'll have an almost-2-year old and a little one. I would start having your daughter sleep near the daycare room. It is not fair to the other daycare kids, especially for a morning nap and at a young age, to make them be quiet. I can understand making a 5 or 6 year old be quiet if thye don't take naps 1-3, but morning naps is unreasonable for quiet time and at such a young age to ask them to be quiet isn't fair either.
Jessie 05:54 AM 01-30-2012
Thanks everyone, these are really helpful suggestions. I'm hoping my daughter will be ready to drop her AM nap soon, but I'm not going to start pushing it until she's ready. Eventually, I'd love to have the whole daycare day be spent in the basement, but right now, there is no kitchen space, sink, or bathroom down there and I really need to use the first floor.

I'd love to stop taking kids under 2 - unfortunately, it seems like people only want care for babies! I'm just starting out, so I really had to take what came along, and with my daughter so young, it will be nice for her to have kids her own age around. Just crossing my fingers the new baby coming is as good a sleeper as his mom says!

We definitely do a ton of white noise, and have a really set nap routine, so I'm hoping that will help when I've got another little one here...

Thanks!
Jessie 11:07 AM 02-03-2012
Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions - I decided moving my whole operation to the basement was the right thing to do, and I also decided to start now so the kids could get used to napping down here before the baby comes in March. Today was our first day napping in the basement space, and it was a little rocky, but looks like both kids will get in at least a little nap today, and it can only get better as they get settled!

Don't know why the answer didn't seem clearer to me before, but I guess when you don't have other adults around to bounce ideas off of, sometimes those ideas come a little slower. That's why I'm grateful for this forum of "co-workers"!
Heidi 11:14 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by Jessie:
Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions - I decided moving my whole operation to the basement was the right thing to do, and I also decided to start now so the kids could get used to napping down here before the baby comes in March. Today was our first day napping in the basement space, and it was a little rocky, but looks like both kids will get in at least a little nap today, and it can only get better as they get settled!

Don't know why the answer didn't seem clearer to me before, but I guess when you don't have other adults around to bounce ideas off of, sometimes those ideas come a little slower. That's why I'm grateful for this forum of "co-workers"!
yay! I am glad it looks like it will work.

You still have one problem, though...no potty for you! Are you taking everyone upstairs with you now? Or are you allowed to pen everyone and run upstairs to go?

I tried doing dc in the basement, and it worked ok, but like you, I had no kitchen facilities down there. So I had a microwave to reheat stuff, but didn't like not having a "real" kitchen. What I ended up doing was bringing everyone up for meals, and then once they were safely in their seats, I could cook or go to the bathroom. I kept a few toys nearby for "table time".

Now, we are all upstairs. I just hated spending the day in the basement, even though half of it was exposed. My house is open concept like yours, and it's so bright & pretty. I like light! The trade off is that the living room is now daycare. hate that....

I wish I had a dedicated above-ground area to use!
Jessie 03:28 PM 02-03-2012
You mean I should be allowed to pee during the day?

I've been managing to time potty breaks for me while they are asleep, the bathroom is right at the top of the stairs so I think it's no problem to duck up quickly.

The kitchen thing is a bummer, but it's kind of a good thing because we eat upstairs. My basement actually gets pretty good light, except for that one windowless room, so it could be worse. We'll see - this was day 1, hopefully this all works!

A basement bathroom is on my super duper dream list though...
Tags:naptime - requirements, naptime issues
Reply Up