Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tax Question Re: Standard Meal Deduction
AcornMama 02:02 PM 09-16-2013
I asked this in the "Daycare Center and Family Home Forum," but I should have posted it here:

I am not on the food program, but plan on taking the standard deductions for snacks and meals.

If I offer a dck a snack and they refuse it, do I still take the deduction. One dck ate snack, one didn't. Is it based on which kids actually take the food.

Since this wasn't lunch, I didn't actually plate the snack for the child who didn't want it. I plated her lunch but she didn't really eat anything. I am still going to take the deduction as she drank her milk and picked at her bread.

But I don't know if I can/should for the snack. It was snack time. Snack was purchased and planned for her, she just didn't want it.

Any advice?
Michael 07:40 PM 09-16-2013
You may have to wait for Tom Copeland to answer. In the meantime here are some previous threads on Meal Deductions: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...uction+-+meals

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...eal+deductions
MyAngels 08:58 PM 09-16-2013
Yes you can deduct any meal that is served, whether they eat or not.

You should really consider looking into the food program if you're eligible. The paperwork is not bad, and you still take all deductions at tax time that you would have if you were not on the food program. It's like getting a raise without actually charging more.
Familycare71 06:52 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Yes you can deduct any meal that is served, whether they eat or not.

You should really consider looking into the food program if you're eligible. The paperwork is not bad, and you still take all deductions at tax time that you would have if you were not on the food program. It's like getting a raise without actually charging more.
But then you have to count the meal program $ as income correct? I feel like for me- I wouldn't be making enough for the extra work-
AcornMama 09:02 AM 09-17-2013
Yeah, I'm really not interested in being on the food program. If I understand things correctly, in my state, you have to take subsidy payments to do the food program, and I don't want to do subsidy payments.

I'm pretty libertarian, too, so I'm not too philosophically keen on the food program.

To each his own...each provider can make the choice that's the best fit for them.

Just trying to figure out the best way to handle the taxes.
TomCopeland 07:54 AM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
But then you have to count the meal program $ as income correct? I feel like for me- I wouldn't be making enough for the extra work-
Yes, money you receive from the Food Program is taxable income (with the exception of money you may receive for your own children if you are income-eligible). However, you will always be better off financially if you join the Food Program. If you take into consideration the hours of paperwork you must do for the Food Program you will still be earning more per hour than you earn now caring for children.

Here's my article that explains this in detail: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...d-program.html
Abigail 11:55 PM 10-05-2013
Their is nothing wrong with learning the food program and trying it out. I signed up right away and spent way to many hours planning menus that met their guidelines and only had 4 daycare children. I got about $60-$80 per month after probably 8-10 hours of planning/cooking for the month. Now that I have menus and know what to cook and have a full daycare I earn a little over $300 a month for 11 children but I spent about 15 minutes a week to plan my menu and enter it online. I would have to spend the time shopping and cooking anyways. I don't have any children on the higher tier either so I'm doing it for the bare minimum reimbursement but I still break even on expenses at least! It's nice extra income every month deposited into my account!
TomCopeland 05:05 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
I asked this in the "Daycare Center and Family Home Forum," but I should have posted it here:

I am not on the food program, but plan on taking the standard deductions for snacks and meals.

If I offer a dck a snack and they refuse it, do I still take the deduction. One dck ate snack, one didn't. Is it based on which kids actually take the food.

Since this wasn't lunch, I didn't actually plate the snack for the child who didn't want it. I plated her lunch but she didn't really eat anything. I am still going to take the deduction as she drank her milk and picked at her bread.

But I don't know if I can/should for the snack. It was snack time. Snack was purchased and planned for her, she just didn't want it.

Any advice?
If you offer a child a meal or snack and they don't eat it, you can still deduct it. You must offer or serve the food to the child before you can count it.
Tags:deduction - meals, meal deductions
Reply Up