Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kansas Family Home Providers
craftymissbeth 12:51 PM 01-08-2014
I'm already gearing up for my relicensing survey between March and May. I am reading through the self checklist and I noticed that one of them says "Provider arranges for a substitute in the event of a temporary or extended absence of the primary care provider".

So I HAVE to provide a substitute when I'm closed?!?! Oh heck no! When I was initially licensed in May 2013 I put down that my sister was possibly going to help me out as an assistant, but I hadn't even turned in her KBI background/child abuse check. My licensor didn't count me off for that.

I only have 2-4 dcks... there's no way I'm hiring a sub for when I need to close. Besides that, she said that in case of emergency I just need someone that can get here and watch the dck's for a max of 30 minutes. They would be responsible for calling the rest of the dc parents to come pick up. She said this can actually be the first daycare parent to arrive!

I'm so confused... and kind of upset if we really are REQUIRED to hire someone when we're closed. I just don't have the money for it and I absolutely 100% do not trust anyone in this town to come into my home when I'm sick or not here to watch these children.
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 01-08-2014
In my state, that wording just means I need to have a substitute or back up in case of emergency.....like I break my arm and need to go to the ER immediately.

Maybe that's what it means?

I surely wouldn't think it means YOU have to be responsible for the back up arrangements for days you close, although nothing about licensing surprises me anymore.

What's next? Required in-home family visits so we can demonstrate HOW we put the kids to bed or how we feed them...
KSDC 01:06 PM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In my state, that wording just means I need to have a substitute or back up in case of emergency.....like I break my arm and need to go to the ER immediately.

That is how my KDHE inspector explained this to me.
You don't have to provide a substitute when you are taking the day off. You need a plan for what you would do with the kiddos in an emergency. For me, I have DH as my emergency backup. If I had to go the the ER, he would come home to watch the kiddos and contact the parents for immediate pick up.

Email or call your inspector and see what she would expect you to have at a minimum.
craftymissbeth 01:11 PM 01-08-2014
Awesome! I'm starting to feel better, but I'm going to send a quick email to my licensor to make sure. I didn't want to send one to her right away and give myself away for not having a sub if it's a regulation, kwim? I certainly don't want a non-compliance check or anything!
melonieb 01:44 PM 01-08-2014
My husband is my back up.
satcook 06:19 AM 01-09-2014
I work at a center in Kansas, so slightly different, but we are supposed to have 2 subs on file. THis just means that we would call them if we have some employees call in sick. I know we are able to say that we use "Child Care On Call" which is a substitute service based in Wichita. I'm sure the same would work for you.

Lori
Annalee 09:11 AM 01-09-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

, although nothing about licensing surprises me anymore.

What's next? Required in-home family visits so we can demonstrate HOW we put the kids to bed or how we feed them...
You got that right!
jenn 10:34 AM 01-09-2014
My understanding is this sub is for emergency closings. (You or a child get injured and need to go to the ER. You have a family emergency and need to leave quickly. Any event that could require you to leave the daycare before it would be possible for all parents to get there and take their kids.) If you have a prearranged closed day, it is up to you if you want to close completely or hire and sub and remain open.
Reply Up