Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Socks, Hats Or Boots Ugh!
Great Beginnings 05:18 AM 12-10-2013
This one family drives me crazy! I watch them for just an hour in the morning from 7am until 8am when the roommate picks them up. They are 4 and 7 years old and constantly come with no socks, hats or boots and unbrushed hair. Today it is 20 degrees and snowing!

Today the roommate asked where the socks were. I told her I've talked to mom but they come almost daily with no socks or hats. Boots I don't complain about too much unless the snow is over the ankles. The roommate starts making excuses. Here is our conversation
RM:Well mom is up at 4am.
Me: What! That gives her 3 hours to get them ready??
RM: Well on days she has to work at 5am so when they come here she's up at 6am.
Me: Well if she's used to 4am then maybe she could give herself more than an hour to get ready and have them up before 6am?
RM: Well they wont go to bed at night and they fight for hours so the girls are tired and have a hard time getting up.
Me: Seriously, does she give consequences? She's the mother!
RM: Oh no, they've never been punished.

Just speachless! Why are these families becoming more of the norm these days
coolconfidentme 05:42 AM 12-10-2013
I bought a bunch of girl socks at Walmart (10 pair=$2 right now) & put them on the kids who come w/o socks while they are here. (I take them back when they leave) Some parents got mad having a boy with girl socks on, I told them I would boy socks on them when they bring them.
laceylmm 07:02 AM 12-10-2013
I have an infant that never comes with more than a blanket.. So we are all trapped inside. And this is after I bought her a light weight jacket from walmart. I'm going to ask that she brings it back and keeps it here.
cheerfuldom 08:52 AM 12-10-2013
Turn these kids away from the door if they come unprepared. or purchase items and charge the parents for anything you send home....charge high like $5 for each pair of socks you send home with them.
Great Beginnings 08:55 AM 12-10-2013
It's not that I want to go outside. They are here from 7am to 8am and that's too early. The retired neighbors get annoyed with the noise lol! It's just irresponsible to dress your child in such cold weather that way! Not to mention they'll get sick, medicated and then before I know it they've contaminated everyone else To me, it just seems neglectful
Maria2013 09:01 AM 12-10-2013
I too have my own backup clothes and winter gear
littlemissmuffet 09:11 AM 12-10-2013
Wow, I'd never spend my own money clothing someone else's child. I simply turn the parent and child away at the door (without fee reimbursement) and tell them to come back tomorrow properly dressed Usually doesn't happen more than once.
Sugar Magnolia 09:57 AM 12-10-2013
I'm still dealing with making sure kids bring sunblock, mosquito repellent are wearing appropriate clothes (shorts and t shirts). UUUGGGGHHHH.......endless summer.
melonieb 10:16 AM 12-10-2013
I have an entire tub of back up clothes. I have a parent who doesn't dress her kids in weather appropriate clothes and I always have to change them. I also keep tons of underwear here cuz I (only me) is potty training a 3 almost 4 year old and she doesn't supply unders. I have sent the kids home in my clothes, but they never come back so I put her clothes back on them before they leave. Sorry mom, I learned my lesson. Lol
MotherNature 01:08 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by melonieb:
I have an entire tub of back up clothes. I have a parent who doesn't dress her kids in weather appropriate clothes and I always have to change them. I also keep tons of underwear here cuz I (only me) is potty training a 3 almost 4 year old and she doesn't supply unders. I have sent the kids home in my clothes, but they never come back so I put her clothes back on them before they leave. Sorry mom, I learned my lesson. Lol
Why are you potty training a kid whose parents have no interest? I understand if you're a nanny/one-on-one, but in daycare, it should begin at home. And to not even give you the necessary supplies? The gall.
Great Beginnings 02:19 PM 12-10-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I'm still dealing with making sure kids bring sunblock, mosquito repellent are wearing appropriate clothes (shorts and t shirts). UUUGGGGHHHH.......endless summer.
Oh, you poor thing I really feel for you!

Lol jk! For Summer, I have kids sit in the shade until the parents come and that is usually enough for the parents to remember.
Reply Up