Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>20mo dcg taking 4hr naps
SunshineMama 08:31 AM 01-21-2014
20mo DCG is always about to pass out from exhaustion by 11/11:30. Mondays are even worse. She arrives at 7am, leaves at 5 everyday. DCM tells me that she "slept well" last night, meaning, she sttn from 8:30 until 5:30 (only 9 hrs-many times, the mom says she gets up at night still and sometimes gets up at 4-mom has to hold and rock her to sleep). So, clearly, the child is not getting enough night-time sleep, and has some bad sleep crutch habits at home.

DCG is not interested in going back to sleep at 7 when she arrives. I have tried it, and she is excited to play and ready to go. I also don't want to go back to 2 naps a day, as it interferes with school transportation and our activities. If I put her to bed at 11:30, I will have to go in and wake her at 3:30- she is out cold for the entire 4 hours, which seems like a lot to me for daytime sleep. Daytime sleep is not keeping her up more at night, according to mom- she goes to bed late, wakes in the middle of the night, and wakes up early no matter if she napped long here, or had no nap at home. (Often, dcm doesn't make her nap on weekends).

Talking to mom does nothing- I have tried and they keep her up to play to spend time, and that isn't going to change.

What to do? Is it terrible to let her sleep all 4 hours? I feel bad that she sleeps so long, but I also am in the camp that if a little is passed out during the day, they need it. What do you think?
DaycareMom 08:34 AM 01-21-2014
I would say she probably needs it. If she isn't getting sufficient night sleep, she is probably exhausted after 4.5 hours of play.
IMO if she is eating and playing well and developmentally OK in all other areas, let her sleep.
CrackerJacks 08:35 AM 01-21-2014
I would let her sleep. She obviously needs it. If it's not interfering with her normal night time routine, I don't see why not. No harm no foul
melonieb 08:38 AM 01-21-2014
I have a 23 month old that does that too.I put het down at 12 and I have to literary get her up and ready to go. She is passed out while diaper is changed and shoes/socks are put on. Before I started transporting she slept from 11:30 to 4:30 everyday. Way too much sleep.
SunshineMama 08:38 AM 01-21-2014
I agree. She is developing normally and is extremely active. I just took her upstairs to nap- she was laying down on the floor in a fetal position trying to fall asleep. I changed her diaper before nap and she basically slept right through it. The girl is so exhausted! I feel a bit guilty about the 4 hours
Annalee 08:42 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
20mo DCG is always about to pass out from exhaustion by 11/11:30. Mondays are even worse. She arrives at 7am, leaves at 5 everyday. DCM tells me that she "slept well" last night, meaning, she sttn from 8:30 until 5:30 (only 9 hrs-many times, the mom says she gets up at night still and sometimes gets up at 4-mom has to hold and rock her to sleep). So, clearly, the child is not getting enough night-time sleep, and has some bad sleep crutch habits at home.

DCG is not interested in going back to sleep at 7 when she arrives. I have tried it, and she is excited to play and ready to go. I also don't want to go back to 2 naps a day, as it interferes with school transportation and our activities. If I put her to bed at 11:30, I will have to go in and wake her at 3:30- she is out cold for the entire 4 hours, which seems like a lot to me for daytime sleep. Daytime sleep is not keeping her up more at night, according to mom- she goes to bed late, wakes in the middle of the night, and wakes up early no matter if she napped long here, or had no nap at home. (Often, dcm doesn't make her nap on weekends).

Talking to mom does nothing- I have tried and they keep her up to play to spend time, and that isn't going to change.

What to do? Is it terrible to let her sleep all 4 hours? I feel bad that she sleeps so long, but I also am in the camp that if a little is passed out during the day, they need it. What do you think?
I have a set of siblings like this....the kids are allowed to stay up till parents go to bed and then the kids get in the same bed with parents so NO ONE is getting a good nights sleep. Sometimes the dad even sleeps on couch with one sibling if it gets too crowded....They see nothing wrong with this but sounds like a terrible sleep pattern to me.
mia 09:43 AM 01-21-2014
Has her iron levels been looked at .... I know that in some people that if their iron levels are too low they tend to sleep all the time....

Other then that I would put her down for nap around 12:00 / 12:30 and let her sleep as long as possible but would not let it go over 3 - 4 hours ..... and let the parents know that it would be in the child's best interest to go to bed no later then 7 - 7:30 pm ....
SilverSabre25 10:09 AM 01-21-2014
I have a 20 mo who was does the same thing sometimes. Especially after being at his Dad's house. The longer he's been with dad, the tireder he is for several days.

I wouldn't worry about it. You're doing the right thing meeting her need to sleep.
renodeb 10:47 AM 01-21-2014
It sounds like she needs the sleep. Mom is only doing her a disservice letting her wake up at night. Some parents just don't get it!
Deb
daycarediva 10:55 AM 01-21-2014
Sounds JUST like my now 4.5 year old dcg. She LOVES a good nap! Seriously, she STILL naps 2-3+ hours a day, sleeps 8-10 at night. Her parents are even considering delaying kindergarten a year, since they no longer have nap. We are ALL concerned about how dcg will do without that rest.

If she is fine in every other area, let her rest.
preschoolteacher 11:14 AM 01-21-2014
I have a 2.5 year old who will nap for 4 hours. I have another 2 year old who often naps for 3 hours.

I don't feel bad about letting them sleep! I figure they need it. It also makes for quiet afternoons for me.
Jack Sprat 12:42 PM 01-21-2014
I have a 23 month old and a 25 month old that both nap most days for at least 2hrs. The younger one doesn't sleep through the night. The older one goes to bed at 7:30 and is up at 6. They both have always been good nappers. I never wake them up unless, we have to leave for some reason or its nearing pick up time. I think they wear themselves out playing during the day. I say let her sleep.
Reply Up