Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On My Behavior Issue Child
snbauser 04:23 PM 03-14-2011
For those that are curious as to where we stand. Here is the original thread.

I wrote the letter telling the parents that the behaviors were out of control. I told them they had two options - 2 week notice or sign the paperwork allowing a behavior specialist to come in and work with the child, parents, and us. Parents agreed to allow a behavior specialist to observe their child and provide feedback and a plan of action.

The behavior specialist was here twice last week for a total of about 4 hours. She said she saw more than enough to understand our frustrations. She gave both the parents and us a packet to fill out to better understand some history and behaviors over the last 4 weeks. She will come by either tomorrow or Wednesday and pick up the completed papers. She is also working on a behavior modification plan and setting up a meeting with the parents to make sure they are on the same page as us.

After the plan is decided upon, he will go on a 30 day probation. If he improves within the 30 days, he can stay. If not, then he will have to find someplace else. The behavior is too out of control and is a bad influence on the other 11 children here, especially the young 2 year olds that are in to imitating all the things they see the older children doing. I don't expect the behaviors to be completely gone, but if the parents are being consistent at home and we are being consistent here, then we should see improvement. I don't like terminating and don't take it lightly. I want to do everything in my power to help children be successful in life. After talking in depth with the behavior specialist, we have both agreed that if after 30 days there is no improvement then I will have done everything I can and it is time to move on.

I will update again after the plan if anyone is interested.
Reply
daycare 04:27 PM 03-14-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
For those that are curious as to where we stand. Here is the original thread.

I wrote the letter telling the parents that the behaviors were out of control. I told them they had two options - 2 week notice or sign the paperwork allowing a behavior specialist to come in and work with the child, parents, and us. Parents agreed to allow a behavior specialist to observe their child and provide feedback and a plan of action.

The behavior specialist was here twice last week for a total of about 4 hours. She said she saw more than enough to understand our frustrations. She gave both the parents and us a packet to fill out to better understand some history and behaviors over the last 4 weeks. She will come by either tomorrow or Wednesday and pick up the completed papers. She is also working on a behavior modification plan and setting up a meeting with the parents to make sure they are on the same page as us.

After the plan is decided upon, he will go on a 30 day probation. If he improves within the 30 days, he can stay. If not, then he will have to find someplace else. The behavior is too out of control and is a bad influence on the other 11 children here, especially the young 2 year olds that are in to imitating all the things they see the older children doing. I don't expect the behaviors to be completely gone, but if the parents are being consistent at home and we are being consistent here, then we should see improvement. I don't like terminating and don't take it lightly. I want to do everything in my power to help children be successful in life. After talking in depth with the behavior specialist, we have both agreed that if after 30 days there is no improvement then I will have done everything I can and it is time to move on.

I will update again after the plan if anyone is interested.
wow amazing job. so happy to see that you are going to have light at the end of your tunnel............
Please keep us informed. As you know I am in this same boat and would really love to have the ability to help my little behvaior problem kid too.

thanks for updating
Reply
jen 04:32 PM 03-14-2011
Awesome!!! Good for you! I think its great that you were able to step in in this child's life!

Please, keep us updated!
Reply
SilverSabre25 04:53 PM 03-14-2011
Sweet! I'm really glad that the parents listened and agreed to the eval. Hopefully they will remain on board and either things will have improved in 30 days, or you will be content in the knowledge that you did your best.
Reply
DCMomOf3 04:55 PM 03-14-2011
It makes me happy that the parents let the specialist come and that this child is getting the help he needs.

I am happy for you and hope the plan works.
Reply
juliebug 05:22 PM 03-14-2011
wow you did awsome so glad the parents are working with you too
Reply
nannyde 06:07 PM 03-14-2011
Sounds great. If he becomes dangerous within the thirty days you may need to have an out clause for that. The thirty days is a good amount of time to see significant changes BUT don't get locked into time where you can't provide safe service for him or the other kids.
Reply
countrymom 06:37 PM 03-14-2011
just curious, what kind of stuff are you going to do to help his behavior, share with all of us.
Reply
snbauser 04:43 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Sounds great. If he becomes dangerous within the thirty days you may need to have an out clause for that. The thirty days is a good amount of time to see significant changes BUT don't get locked into time where you can't provide safe service for him or the other kids.
That is in my standard policies so I don't have anything extra added into the 30 day clause. I can terminate ANY child at ANY time if I feel they are dangerous to me, my teachers, or any of the other children.
Reply
snbauser 04:44 AM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
just curious, what kind of stuff are you going to do to help his behavior, share with all of us.
I'll let you know as soon as I see the behavior modification plan.
Reply
Tags:behavior problems, terminate
Reply Up