Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
PitterPatter 08:09 AM 04-02-2011
I had a lady call me on Monday asking of I had room for her 2 yr old child in my daycare. I told her yes I do have 1 slot left. We discuss setting up an appointment and I explain the interview and paperwork process. She didn't think she had to do paperwork or have to get anything notarized before bringing her kid, she would be a private paying client. I explain I am state licensed and there is required paperwork even if she is a private pay client. She sat there for a minute. I asked if she would like to set up a meeting for this weekend. She didn't think she had to wait that long. I explained I don't meet with strangers in my home during daycare hours as a precaution to the children and I don't close until 7:00 pm after that I like to spend a little time with my own son before bed so I only meet with clients on weekends. She sat for another minute and then said Saturday would be good. I said ok I do have some errands to run on Saturday but I will fit you in what times are good for u? She said Saturday after work. She said it would be sometime about 5:00.

I was hoping for morning or evening choices because Saturdays are so busy it is the only time I have to do all the shopping etc. My Mother, son and I do all of our shopping together, pay bills then have dinner out. I really don't think we can get back by 5 but the lady already seems disappointed because I cant meet right away and that she has paperwork to do. I figure if Mom agrees we can leave earlier but I can't just to set it in stone. I will have to ask her first because it is my Mothers time also as well as HER car and she is nice enough to drive me. ( I don't have a car) I don't want to seem like I don't have time for her so I figure I will try to work around her.

So, I told the lady I do have plans but if she could call me on Thursday or Friday I would let her know then if 5:00 works for me as well. She said ok I said great I'll talk to u then. She never called. Should I rush through and try to get everything done and tell Mom we have to be back by 5:00 or should I just skip it because she didn't call as agreed? I had 2 no shows I scheduled my weekend around for last month so I just got fed up and really don't want to ruin a weekend day for nothing but it's also a business so I am torn.
mickey2 08:16 AM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:

I told the lady I do have plans but if she could call me on Thursday or Friday I would let her know then if 5:00 works for me as well. She said ok I said great I'll talk to u then. She never called.

I would not worry about it. She never called back to confirm so I would go about my day. She most likely won't show up. If she was serious she would have called back when you asked her to.
nannyde 08:16 AM 04-02-2011
If you told her to call to confirm and she didn't then you are off the hook. Have a good day with your Mom and don't worry about it.
PitterPatter 08:20 AM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
If you told her to call to confirm and she didn't then you are off the hook. Have a good day with your Mom and don't worry about it.
Thank u both! I have been worried all morning what to do! Now I will have a clear conscience! Hope u ladies have a great day!
cheerfuldom 08:42 AM 04-02-2011
Next time, maybe get a number or email and keep in touch with prospective clients (especially if you need the slot filled). That doesn't mean that you are at their mercy, only that you can at least have that communication to say "hey I have not heard back from you. I cannot consider this appointment confirmed and schedule around it unless I do here from you". I know it is so frustrating to have no shows though. That has happened to me several times. I can't imagine expecting to go into a daycare with no paperwork done whatsoever. My general thought is that if they can't keep that first appointment, they aren't going to be a family you want to deal with anyway.
Abigail 08:38 PM 04-02-2011
I agree with cheerfuldom to have a name and number. It depends on how bad a spot needs to be filled whether I would be more persistant and call myself or not.
Candyland 09:59 PM 04-02-2011
just wanting to know if she ended up calling you again or showing up? I'm sure she didn't; but I just had to ask.
PitterPatter 07:15 AM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by Candyland:
just wanting to know if she ended up calling you again or showing up? I'm sure she didn't; but I just had to ask.
No she never did call. There wasn't a note or anything in my notepad on the door either. I didn't get back until almost 7:00. I am so glad I didn't waste my time sitting around again.

From now on I will be sure to get call back numbers just in case.

Thank u.
Tags:confirmed appointment, flakey, guilt, interview, no show, notarized
Reply Up