Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Burned Out Already???
snips&snails 10:02 PM 03-30-2013
I opened in November & I am really struggling!! For a while I thought I had it under control but the group I have now is all very rowdy boys - intentionally destructive children who can't seem to play with toys but rather throw everything, dump buckets of toys and to top it off don't nap!! I have had them lie down for over an hour , lights off, used all my nap skills that have always worked for me and no luck. If I turn my back, someone is getting hurt or something is getting broken. I am at my wits end here. I have a lot of experience - 5 years teaching preschool and a lot of work with behavior problems, but when it is just me it seems all I do is put out fires non stop. And I can't afford to pick & choose the children I accept at this point.
The worst thing is that my son, who had started up with behavior problems when I opened but had worked through them, is acting out nonstop all day. Evenings & weekends he is an angel, I think he just hates having kids in his house all day.
I don't get how everyone manages 10+ hour days and then all the cleaning etc on top of it!! Am I missing something or just not cut out for this? I never wanted to be a housewife or stay at home mom either, which it seems a lot of people doing this started so they could do that. I miss adult conversation!! As a single parent a lot of days the only adults I see are my clients. I am starting to dread Mondays and it's gotten to the point where I haven't called back a potential client because the idea of adding another child is so exhausting - but I really need the money. Realistically I have another 5-6 months before I have any hope of landing another job that can pay the bills (have to wait for next school year) but not sure I can make it that far!!
LK5kids 03:41 PM 03-31-2013
I am in the same situation....started in Dec. and I'm struggling big time! I have had some behavior issues too, though not quite as challenging as you stated. I have struggling nappers too and they are young! Once licensed I can't have them lay down longer than 1/2 hour and they are suppose to be allowed to get up and do some quiet activities if they are not sleeping

I could have written parts of your post myself. I am giving myself until the end of summer too. Bad part is we purchased a house just for child care. This kind of blindsided me. I have many years working with kids and I hate being so isolated too! I'm also working with a group younger than I ever have and all are in diapers.

Time will tell....my husband is 100% supportive and says we will just sell or rent out the house we bought. I scan newpapers & craigslist each week in case something in my field opens up.

Hope things work out for you. I'll be thinking of you Just know you are not alone in this situation....
cheerfuldom 04:10 PM 03-31-2013
well, as a single mom, you know your options are limited. no matter what you do, you have to keep this daycare going until another job is lined up. you can take just the bare minimum of kids and just hang in there and start looking for a new job. you can also start replacing the rowdiest of the kids with new kids as the opportunity arises and see if that doesnt change the dynamic a bit. or you can take on an extra kid or two in order to hire some help.
Laurel 04:48 PM 03-31-2013
Could you afford to have some part time help such as a high school or college student or a retired person maybe?

My neighbor was helping me when she was 12 (going on 20, lol) as she was home schooled at the time.

How old are the children you are watching?

Laurel
CrackerJacks 05:43 PM 03-31-2013
What is your schedule with the kids like? Sometimes just a little tweaking to the schedule helps tremendously.
Lyss 07:39 PM 03-31-2013
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
What is your schedule with the kids like? Sometimes just a little tweaking to the schedule helps tremendously.
Moving outside time and extending it (when weather allows) very much helped with my rambunctious crew.

Not sure if these would work for you but these are my ideas:

-Maybe if you slowly start changing out your group. Like may call back that perspective client and see if they would fit better and could replace the one you are finding most challenging.

-Is there a child care association or network where you could connect with other providers? Here there is a group that meets once a month and it's really nice to get out and gab! Maybe a mom's group you could connect with on the weekends?

-Make one night a week about yourself, like a Friday or Saturday, and go out with friends, take a bubble bath, chat with us online

-For me sometimes purge and rearrange helps, I clean out my DC supplies and re arrange my space, it's amazing what moving a few shelves can do

-Take some time off if you can, even if it's just one day (giving you a long weekend!)
Crazy In Mo 07:44 PM 03-31-2013
I think you really need to put your foot down I do not allow throwing, destroying or climbing. I've noticed sometimes I have to be a little bit more strict for a week or two and it straightens things right up! It's tough during those times, I feel like I'm constantly taking toys away or putting someone in time out BUT they "get it" pretty quick!
Play Care 03:30 AM 04-01-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy In Mo:
I think you really need to put your foot down I do not allow throwing, destroying or climbing. I've noticed sometimes I have to be a little bit more strict for a week or two and it straightens things right up! It's tough during those times, I feel like I'm constantly taking toys away or putting someone in time out BUT they "get it" pretty quick!

When I feel like my group is starting to get wild, I "lower the boom" and everyone goes to "eyes on" supervision. If I need to do something where I can't be right with them, they go up to the table with an activity. We review the rules, we role play the rules and I time out anyone breaking them. A few things I've done is remove a good majority of my toys. I've used NannyDe's "visual barrier" method for restricting their movement in the house - I have a center hall colonial home so kids think they just just go 'round and 'round - not anymore. That took some training but it is paying off BIG time. When I notice children being intentionally rough, they lose out on toy playing privilages. I have a younger group so it's still a work in progress but it has gotten better. I do have a sub who comes in two days a week and I love having that little adult "break" in my week. I hope things get better for you soon!
Tags:burnt out
Reply Up