Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default New With Questions???

Hi all,
I am opening in November and have been putting ads up, finally i got an email. Asking my rates in the email. My rates are average for the area. So I want to have 5 kids lined up when I open in November, so far I have one! I have 68 days left to advertise and fill up, I am not feeling optimistic because of so many providers and little to no response from my first 2 ads.
I dont know if I should email her back with rates or ask her to come for an interview first? Do I put my rates as low as possible since I am just starting?
what do you guys think?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

If your rates are average, I would send it in an email, but also think of ways you are unique to those around you (better location, near a great park, field trips, preschool, etc) and state that also, in some way.

It takes time to get kids. I got licensed in August of 2009 but didn't get my first child until November. I guess no one wanted to be first! After that they started trickling in. I'm still not full, but have 3 full timers and 2 part timers. Whatever you do, do NOT lower your rates to get kids in there. You can a little bit, but it's very hard to raise them once you get the kids in there. I know, because that's exactly what I did - lowered my rates way below what others are charging to get kids in here and now I'm stuck at those low rates.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM

marniewon: why are you "stuck" at your low rates? do you not give yourself a "raise" ever? $1 a day increase is not too much for people to handle, imo.

Mommymuffin: I started advertising in the fall of 2007 and finally got kids in March 2008. Just hang in there. IT'll happen.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa ann View Post
marniewon: why are you "stuck" at your low rates? do you not give yourself a "raise" ever? $1 a day increase is not too much for people to handle, imo.
I have not yet reached my 1 year mark with any families. After the first family I did raise rates a little bit, which means that I am charging families different prices I have considered raising rates when new contracts are signed.

Tags
new business