Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Over reacted at the park but I am SO fed up!
Soccermom 08:52 AM 06-26-2013
I have a 9 Y/O DCG who cries constantly every single time we try to do an activity. She pretends to get hurt for attention and then will cry and cry and cry until another DCK pays attention to her. (I used to go running to her until I figured out what she is all about) I tell her now that I have been in this business long enough to know when a child is really hurt and when they are looking for attention.
This ain't my first rodeo, I've had kids this age like this before.

Anyway now that school is out we have been doing a lot more activities. Friday we had a campout type day with a water balloon fight. She cried when someone hit her TOO hard with a water ballon (These things were bursting in my hands with no pressure so there is no way she got hurt), then she cried because she *hurt* her leg when we went looking for sticks to roast marshmallows (Not even a scratch or red mark on her and all the other DCKS said she didn't even fall).
Yesterday we went to the beach and she cried because she apparently got stung by a jellyfish (After a DCG actually did..DCG had red marks, this little one did not)
Today she started to cry about 10 minutes after we started to play at the park..she claims she hurt her back on the slide. Really? On the slide??

Anyway I lost it because this has been going on for a year now and I told everyone we were packing up and hitting the road. All the DCKS were surprised but they are equally annoyed with this kid. They will come over to me now and say "**** got hurt...again, oh and she is crying."
When they asked me why we were leaving, I said it was because I am done with DCG getting hurt every single time we do anything special so we are going home.
I felt kinda bad for the bad reaction but it taught her a lesson since all the kids were uber annoyed with her that they had to leave.
One more day with her and then she heads off to camps for a month. Yay. I will be able to plan fun stuff with the kids again!
daycare 09:01 AM 06-26-2013
dont feel bad. we have out limits too and I feel that it is best when we know them. I put myself in time out a lot.....

I have an attention seeker too. I pay not mind to them at all. When they come to seek out the attention, I will look to make sure that nothing is actually wrong and then say ok, thanks for letting me know, please go play.
countrymom 09:35 AM 06-26-2013
that would drive me crazy. This is why I don't older kids anymore (ok, I have siblings coming and my ydd bff but these kids are awesome and my kids love playing with them) I just find that they are bored and no matter what you do it won't make them happy.
MarinaVanessa 09:49 AM 06-26-2013
She is 9yo??? As in nine-years-old???

"You got hurt? Again? Okay. Well it looks like you'll have to sit out right over here until we go home. It seems like you get hurt a lot so I want to make sure that you stay safe. When we get back to the daycare instead of [enter the name of some fabulously awesome activity here, preferably one that DCG loves] i will need you to lay down on the couch and rest. I really don't want you to get hurt anymore so I don't think that it's a good idea for you to do anything where you might get hurt."

If the child in 9yo I would not be entertaining her whims. She gets "hurt"? She sits out. I would be tempted to give her soft baby toys to play with, soft cloth or baby board books to read and have her sit somewhere so that she "doesn't get hurt".

Nine really? NINE? Sorry, I'm just stuck on the idea that she is nine years old. I'd expect this from a 4-5 yo but a 9yo? Woah. I still have not seen that yet.
Starburst 09:59 AM 06-26-2013
I used to baby sit a 9 y/o who I'm know was an attention seeker too. Her mom worked all the time and she was always at my house when she wasn't at school and she was ALWAYS hyper! One time we were watching Anastasia and she started doing those really annoying high pitched "excited valley girl" screams because in the Paris scene they had a Chanel store in the background (really? she's that excited over a store? that's in a cartoon?). When I went to pick her up from school and I asked the teachers where she was the teachers knew exactly who she was and said "oh yeah, she's around here somewhere... that girl is all over the place". She actually was in the school play but eventually got kicked out because her grade were slipping. So she had good enough grades to audition for the play but 2 weeks later her grades slip? I made her do her homework and read for an hour after school every day and her mom said at the interview "oh she doesn't need help with her homework, she does good in school" so I never checked until I heard she was kicked out of the play. She even told me before that she knows she can get away with things for her mom and that she is not affraid of her mom, but is afraid of her grandma who she knows she can't fool.
BumbleBee 11:07 AM 06-26-2013
I totally feel you. I was *this close* to over reacting at lunch today. We all have our limits.
Lianne 11:40 AM 06-26-2013
I've over reacted and I've then apologized to the children I over reacted with. Helps the kids realize I'm human and struggle with frustration, too. Also teaches them to apologize. Don't be too hard on yourself.

As for the 9yr old, time to treat her like she's in a bubble. Bring her along on activities but she absolutely should never take part in them because she gets hurt far too easily so now she has to sit in one spot so nothing happens to her precious little self.
originalkat 12:57 PM 06-26-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
She is 9yo??? As in nine-years-old???

"You got hurt? Again? Okay. Well it looks like you'll have to sit out right over here until we go home. It seems like you get hurt a lot so I want to make sure that you stay safe. When we get back to the daycare instead of [enter the name of some fabulously awesome activity here, preferably one that DCG loves] i will need you to lay down on the couch and rest. I really don't want you to get hurt anymore so I don't think that it's a good idea for you to do anything where you might get hurt."

If the child in 9yo I would not be entertaining her whims. She gets "hurt"? She sits out. I would be tempted to give her soft baby toys to play with, soft cloth or baby board books to read and have her sit somewhere so that she "doesn't get hurt".

Nine really? NINE? Sorry, I'm just stuck on the idea that she is nine years old. I'd expect this from a 4-5 yo but a 9yo? Woah. I still have not seen that yet.
THIS
crazydaycarelady 01:00 PM 06-26-2013
If I had that kid I would probably say "You better just sit here with me since you get hurt so often."
After that if she gets hurt again have her sit out. After a few times of this she'll get a lot less clumsy! LOL
DaycareMom2012 04:09 PM 06-26-2013
wrong forum
Reply Up