Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Questions Of Ratios In The Family Care Care
Magic 01:48 PM 06-05-2017
so where I am in Canada
we have a “ day care crisis “
no spots....the hardest to find spots is for the under 4 year old
then here in Can we have mat leave for a year , leaving many soon back to work people scrabbling for day care ‘
I am turning away many calls for just over 1 yr olds
we here are allowed only 4 under 4 yrs old that with only 2 under 2 year olds and if you have 1 under 1yr old you are only allowed a total of 3 under 4yr old ( hope that makes sense ) and a total of 7 children at one time ...family day care
we can get exemptions which is a huge amount of paper work and a start and finish date
we also just had an provincial election which day care was a huge focus
so my solution would be to change ratios of ages and make it 5 under 4 being 3 under 2 year olds that would sure open spots

my question for you guys
what are your ratios and how many children in total you are allowed at one time ?
thank you
ps love this site !!!!!!!!!
hwichlaz 03:27 PM 06-05-2017
I can have 8 children as long as at least two of them are school aged, and only two are under 2.

If I have under 2s only, I can only have four kids total.
CityGarden 03:50 PM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I can have 8 children as long as at least two of them are school aged, and only two are under 2.

If I have under 2s only, I can only have four kids total.
I am in California so this is the same for me. I have a small family license so it identical to hwichlaz.

In California you can also apply for a large family home license which allows up to 12 children. I did not feel my space fit 12 so I did not want to go that route.

The regulations state:

102416.5 STAFFING RATIO AND CAPACITY

• For a Small Family Child Care Home, the maximum number of children cared for,
including children under age 10 who live in the home, is one of the following:
• Four infants, or six children, no more than three of whom may be infants.
• Six children, or up to eight children when one child is at least six years of age
and one child is enrolled in and attending kindergarten or elementary school and
no more than two infants are in care. Parent notification and property owner
consent must be on file.

• For a Large Family Child Care Home, the maximum number of children cared for
when there is an assistant provider in the home, including children under age 10
who live in the home, and the assistant provider’s children under age 10, is either:
• Twelve children, no more than four of whom may be infants, or
• Up to 14 children when one child is at least six years of age and one child is
enrolled in and attending kindergarten or elementary school, and no more than
three infants are in care. Parent notification and property owner consent must be
on file.
Leigh 09:07 PM 06-05-2017
I can have up to 14. No more than 4 under 2 years old, and only 2 of them may be under 1 year old. I can have 12 PLUS 2 school aged kids (6 years or older AND done with Kindergarten). I don't usually take school aged, but am keeping one of my kids who graduated from Kindergarten this year as a before/after school kid.
Jupadia 05:29 AM 06-06-2017
Hey in Canada as well but in Ontario, not sure what province your from.

We are allowed for unlicensed home care a total of 5 kids. Only 2 may be under 2, providers kidd count till age of 6 then don't have to be included. The only exception being if provider has kid age 4+ enrolled in full time school (which covers them for kindergarden both senior and Jr. Levels) then provider may add a 6 kid provide that they now only have 1 under 2.

If you get a licence (through 3rd party such as we watch)(loss up to 30% of income when you do this cause your now working for agency) you can sometimes be allowed a 6 kid with 2 under 2.

Also can't have more then one provider to increase numbers for either set up.

There are no exceptions as far as I'm aware.
284878 05:38 AM 06-06-2017
6 kids total for "family care" and own child counts until 8. Dck count until 14 (then they can be Assistants​)
2 under 18 months, 2 - 18-30 months, 2 30 months +

"Group care" ratio doubles but only if you have an assistant age 14 or older present.
(4 under 18, 4 18-30 months, 4 30+ months)
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 06-06-2017
I am in MN.

Ratios here are dependent on the youngest child in care.

Most providers either have 8, 10 or 12 kids alone and/or 12 or 14 with a second caregiver.
Reply Up