Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mortified!!
Leanna 09:45 AM 08-27-2013
So i just enrolled a new toddler (age 2) and, as part of how I transition kids into my program, this morning he visited for an hour with his parents. I met the little boy when the family interviewed and he seems very smart, highly verbal, and a good fit all around.

The visit went well this morning. I only had three kids: DCB 5, DCG 21 mos. and DCG 5 mos, so it was a low key, mellow morning, The new DCB was very interested in all of the toys and towards the end of the hour he and my 21 mos. old DCG started playing together. THEN in a flash there was a tussle and DCG bit the new boy... ON HIS FACE...HARD!!!! She hasn't bitten any of her friends before so I never saw it coming. I am so embarrassed! I apologized profusely and the parents seemed to understand, but I am still feeling terrible. Do you think it would be appropriate to send them a message or something? Or should I just wait until Thursday when I am supposed to see the boy again?
Brooksie 09:54 AM 08-27-2013
OH NO. That's so unfortunate. The fact of the matter is that things like that happen... I started my newest DCG and about 10 minutes before pick up she tripped over herself and fell into the molding of the doorway and had the BIGGEST bump on her head. Mom was very understanding and took her to Urgent Care to get it looked at. I felt SO HORRIBLE. I thought I'd never see them again. I did send her a message a few hours later asking how she was doing and mom said she was fine. Dr said no concision and thanked me for recommending urgent care vs the ER because it saved her HOURS, she also said she was glad dcg had a good day despite the fall and was looking forward to bringing her back. I felt MUCH better touching base with her then stressing about it until next time she was supposed to be dropped off.
Lianne 09:58 AM 08-27-2013
I think sending her a message is a good idea. Just ask how the baby is doing, apologize again and maybe tell her how you plan to prevent it from happening again (as best as you can prevent a bite)
Cradle2crayons 09:58 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
So i just enrolled a new toddler (age 2) and, as part of how I transition kids into my program, this morning he visited for an hour with his parents. I met the little boy when the family interviewed and he seems very smart, highly verbal, and a good fit all around.

The visit went well this morning. I only had three kids: DCB 5, DCG 21 mos. and DCG 5 mos, so it was a low key, mellow morning, The new DCB was very interested in all of the toys and towards the end of the hour he and my 21 mos. old DCG started playing together. THEN in a flash there was a tussle and DCG bit the new boy... ON HIS FACE...HARD!!!! She hasn't bitten any of her friends before so I never saw it coming. I am so embarrassed! I apologized profusely and the parents seemed to understand, but I am still feeling terrible. Do you think it would be appropriate to send them a message or something? Or should I just wait until Thursday when I am supposed to see the boy again?
First off, do y have a biting protocol. If so, use it and inform mom on the steps and progress.

If not, then I would text and check in with the mom so she knows you are concerned. And explain what you do when bites occur.

You don't want her to think its so commonplace that you didn't even feel the need to acknowledge it after it happened. But you don't want to over react either. It happens, and With biting its not always predictable. It just so happened it was bad timing for a first time lol.

Scout 11:30 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I think sending her a message is a good idea. Just ask how the baby is doing, apologize again and maybe tell her how you plan to prevent it from happening again (as best as you can prevent a bite)
this
Maria2013 01:06 PM 08-27-2013
This is what I would do
Leanna 02:36 PM 08-27-2013
As soon my kids left I texted the mom and asked how he was doing, and apologized, and just basically said that the child's parents and I would work hard to nip it in the bud before it became a habit.

I still feel terrible
Tags:aggressive behavior, biting, injure
Reply Up