Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I know we've shared this before
Josiegirl 04:54 AM 07-04-2014
But what are your kids loving outdoors right now?

Every morning we turn on the hose and fill up our water table. Mud pies galore. Drawing with chalk on our fence. Our tire swing is popular. They do obstacles all over the yard and play equipment. Our large sand box and play kitchen gets used a lot. And our small teeter-totter is something the 2-4 yo's love.
This past week we filled up the water table with shaving cream and glitter one day, then another day we dumped in arctic animals encased in blocks of ice. Those were hits.

It's been so humid lately we kind of follow the water and shade.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 06:39 AM 07-04-2014
my question is how do you clean up shaving cream outside. It leaves such a film on my water table.

I bought two new "soccer" balls and they have been loving them. Musical instruments have wondered outside. Found a little tykes piano at Goodwill and have added some other pieces out there and they have been loving it.

Water table. I have not gotten out the pools this past week since hand foot mouth is out there.
Lianne 07:02 AM 07-04-2014
I have a set of wooden (salad) bowls and some old wicker baskets in my playhouse. They get used everyday for collecting leaves, stones, flowers and other treasures.
Happily_wed 07:11 AM 07-04-2014
Nothing! I have tons of things to do outside... a playhouse, a sandbox, a swing set, picnic table, Little Tykes crawl through box with slide, cozy coupe, trucks and cars, balls, buckets, bubbles and different things to blow them with (wands, flyswatters, old water bottles), chalk,etc. We also have pools and a sprinkler. They play for about 3 minutes then sit down and whine. It's too hot, it's not hot enough. It's too sunny, it's not sunny enough. The wind is blowing, the wind isn't blowing. The bugs are biting them, where are the bugs? If I try to do an activity they play along for about 3 minutes then they are "tired or hot or don't want to"

I think my area just isn't good enough for them. They have every battery powered vehicle they make at home. They have 4 wheelers. They have an in ground pool. They play out all the time at home but here it's a bust every time we try. I get tired of buying things to do activities and then they don't want to. I get tired of taking the stroller or playpen out for the baby so they can play for 3 minutes and want to come back in.
jenboo 07:35 AM 07-04-2014
They love riding trikes!!!!!!
midaycare 07:35 AM 07-04-2014
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:
Nothing! I have tons of things to do outside... a playhouse, a sandbox, a swing set, picnic table, Little Tykes crawl through box with slide, cozy coupe, trucks and cars, balls, buckets, bubbles and different things to blow them with (wands, flyswatters, old water bottles), chalk,etc. We also have pools and a sprinkler. They play for about 3 minutes then sit down and whine. It's too hot, it's not hot enough. It's too sunny, it's not sunny enough. The wind is blowing, the wind isn't blowing. The bugs are biting them, where are the bugs? If I try to do an activity they play along for about 3 minutes then they are "tired or hot or don't want to"

I think my area just isn't good enough for them. They have every battery powered vehicle they make at home. They have 4 wheelers. They have an in ground pool. They play out all the time at home but here it's a bust every time we try. I get tired of buying things to do activities and then they don't want to. I get tired of taking the stroller or playpen out for the baby so they can play for 3 minutes and want to come back in.
Me too! My kids want to go outside, but get bored after 10 minutes. I have a lot for them to do. It's weird! I try to encourage free play outside, so maybe that is the problem. I am usually kicking balls around and whoever wants to join me, can. But really, they shouldn't be clawing at the door to come in after 10 minutes!
Meyou 07:58 AM 07-04-2014
Mud kitchen, hiding and then finding pinecones, basketball net and balls, tag, hide and seek and riding 3 wheel scooters are what is popular right now. We go to the beach in the mornings so we're only in the yard after nap each day.
AmyKidsCo 08:02 AM 07-04-2014
Water and sand. We've been getting rain almost every night so the first thing they do is run around the yard finding all the water in all the containers. Then they consolidate it, and spend tons of time pouring, stirring, dumping, etc. They also love the sandbox. Yesterday they were getting crabby so I put up a tent with sheets on the clothesline but by the time I was done they were all in the sandbox playing well together. They were there for about 30 min and never did go in the tent.
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 07-04-2014
Originally Posted by Happily_wed:

Originally Posted by midaycare:
Me too! My kids want to go outside, but get bored after 10 minutes. I have a lot for them to do. It's weird! I try to encourage free play outside, so maybe that is the problem. I am usually kicking balls around and whoever wants to join me, can. But really, they shouldn't be clawing at the door to come in after 10 minutes!
That's the problem.

My yard used to look like a salesroom for Little Tikes.

My kids acted just like yours. 5-10 minutes outside and they were done.

I got rid of 2/3 of my stuff. Now I have only a few things outside and my kids play for hours. My oldest group was outside this last week for no less than 3 hours at a time. WITHOUT planned or structured activities. Just playing.

I rotate toys but rarely keep more than 3 or 4 choices out at a time. Other than the permanent things like swings (only have 3) and the sandbox (which we just made smaller).

I think minimizing what you have makes what you have more appealing.

Having too many things to do is overwhelming and makes it hard for a kid to make a choice and stick with it. There are too many things that distract them from playing deeply with one thing.

My advice to you about this issue is to spend some time observing.

See what they like to do.

Containers, open spaces, forts, digging, throwing, building.... then put out only a couple things at a time and let them play.
NightOwl 10:34 AM 07-04-2014
I have several play structures, but I kind of group them together to leave the majority of the playground open. And they love to RUN. Lol. The open space is just so tempting for them. And the play structures grouped closely together become a town, a neighborhood, a secret fortress, etc. I also group my other toys like a seesaw, ride on toys, the balls, water tables, etc, so the kids can access them when they want to, but they're still out of the way of the open grassy area.
MBF 10:42 AM 07-04-2014
The latest fun seems to be the play tools, they use them to "fix" the playhouse. they will spend an hour doing this. Tea party set is popular as well, and the wooden train set. water day is once a week, they love water in a whole bunch of buckets more than the little pool. My little ones are inside a lot at home, so they love being outside!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:20 AM 07-04-2014
honestly the favorite thing is the 8 ft "mud" pit with real trowels to dig in.
Happily_wed 01:50 PM 07-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's the problem.

My yard used to look like a salesroom for Little Tikes.

My kids acted just like yours. 5-10 minutes outside and they were done.

I got rid of 2/3 of my stuff. Now I have only a few things outside and my kids play for hours. My oldest group was outside this last week for no less than 3 hours at a time. WITHOUT planned or structured activities. Just playing.

I rotate toys but rarely keep more than 3 or 4 choices out at a time. Other than the permanent things like swings (only have 3) and the sandbox (which we just made smaller).

I think minimizing what you have makes what you have more appealing.

Having too many things to do is overwhelming and makes it hard for a kid to make a choice and stick with it. There are too many things that distract them from playing deeply with one thing.

My advice to you about this issue is to spend some time observing.

See what they like to do.

Containers, open spaces, forts, digging, throwing, building.... then put out only a couple things at a time and let them play.
I honestly think it's because my items are not fancy enough. You have to actually pedal the bike/trike or make the cozy coupe go with your own feet. No battery powered things here. No in ground pool, just a sprinkler. I think it's not exciting enough for them. They have every toy ever made at home. I try to engage them in play and it's "no it's too hot. No that's boring. Don't you have a 4 wheeler we can ride?" Even water play has no interest to them. I turn on the sprinkler and they run through it twice and then grab their towel and say "I'm done!" I mentioned doing things like shaving cream battles, etc and they want no part of it. I have just resigned myself to staying indoors when they are here. I know they play outside a lot at home in the evenings and on weekends so I just don't bother much. If I do it's on the front porch to blow bubbles or use the chalk.
Happily_wed 01:55 PM 07-04-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I have several play structures, but I kind of group them together to leave the majority of the playground open. And they love to RUN. Lol. The open space is just so tempting for them. And the play structures grouped closely together become a town, a neighborhood, a secret fortress, etc. I also group my other toys like a seesaw, ride on toys, the balls, water tables, etc, so the kids can access them when they want to, but they're still out of the way of the open grassy area.
I think part of the problem with two of mine is they have NO imagination at all. They can't for the life of them come up with something to do on their own. I have to say "why don't you take this and pretend this" and then once they get started I have to direct it at times. I have one that has a great imagination but she is only here one day a week. The two spend a lot of time watching tv and have a lot of electronic gadgets also.
Tags:outside play
Reply Up