Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pack & Plays
midaycare 03:44 AM 07-28-2014
I know I'm asking a lot of questions right now, but I have QRIS and the state both coming to inspect me in the next 9 days. Yikes!

I have my young ones in pack & plays but I only use the mattress that comes with it, and not a fitted sheet. The regulations confuse me. Do I also need a fitted sheet, or is the mattress okay?
KidGrind 04:08 AM 07-28-2014
I need a waterproof mattress covering and a fitted sheet.

I don’t know your specific regulations. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

GOOD LUCK!
morgan24 05:33 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I know I'm asking a lot of questions right now, but I have QRIS and the state both coming to inspect me in the next 9 days. Yikes!

I have my young ones in pack & plays but I only use the mattress that comes with it, and not a fitted sheet. The regulations confuse me. Do I also need a fitted sheet, or is the mattress okay?
I'm in MI also. My last inspection was in April and I didn't have sheets on my pack and plays and he didn't say anything.

I have had 4 different inspectors since I started and everyone of them interprets the rules differently. I really think it depends on the inspector. Good luck with both of your visits.
midaycare 06:21 AM 07-28-2014
Thank you both of you. I wish everything was more clear!
CraftyMom 07:16 AM 07-28-2014
If you're not sure, maybe put one on just to be safe? Maybe pick one up at a second hand store if you have one closeby
midaycare 07:57 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
If you're not sure, maybe put one on just to be safe? Maybe pick one up at a second hand store if you have one closeby
I will check the second hand stores out. Just to be safe ...
melilley 10:59 AM 07-28-2014
You are supposed to have a tight fitting waterproof cover on it, but like pp said, each inspector interprets the rules differently. When I had my inspection, I had a sheet on mine and that was it. Here's the rule:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...20140728135551
Heidi 06:06 PM 07-28-2014
The mattress needs to be waterproof, and the sheet on it needs to be tight fitting. 5-A and 5-F. The sheet needs to be laundered when soiled or at least weekly. You cannot have any other padding between the mattress and the sheet, per 5-F. Page 9 of your regs.

Our are the same, btw.
midaycare 05:13 AM 07-29-2014
Thank you guys. The regs confused me and I thought they meant cribs and not pack and plays. I'm glad to have an answer!
rebekki78 11:34 AM 07-29-2014
If you have a sheet make sure it is TIGHT fitting. The inspector may "pull" on the sheet and if it "gives" at all they may say not to use it anymore. Some sheets are just too loose fitting for the inspectors tastes. And like everyone else said, it depends on your inspector
Heidi 11:39 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by rebekki78:
If you have a sheet make sure it is TIGHT fitting. The inspector may "pull" on the sheet and if it "gives" at all they may say not to use it anymore. Some sheets are just too loose fitting for the inspectors tastes. And like everyone else said, it depends on your inspector
Very frustrating! I bought all new pack-n-plays, and actually used heavy adult sheets folded and tucked under tightly as sheets. Much heavier than pnp sheets, and that way, the mattress doesn't bunch up (mine all do even with the velcro or snaps tight).

My licenser said no! Must be "tight fitting sheet made for pnp's"

So...I bought some...they got loose after washing. So, I bought some stretch-cotton ones. Much better. Bought another batch, loose!

In the meantime, using such tight sheets has made all my mattresses bunch up a bit. All my pnp's are less than 2 years old!
Unregistered 11:54 AM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Very frustrating! I bought all new pack-n-plays, and actually used heavy adult sheets folded and tucked under tightly as sheets. Much heavier than pnp sheets, and that way, the mattress doesn't bunch up (mine all do even with the velcro or snaps tight).

My licenser said no! Must be "tight fitting sheet made for pnp's"

So...I bought some...they got loose after washing. So, I bought some stretch-cotton ones. Much better. Bought another batch, loose!

In the meantime, using such tight sheets has made all my mattresses bunch up a bit. All my pnp's are less than 2 years old!
We are absolutely not allowed to use adult sheets, flat sheets or anything like that either.

But why isn't someone all over these pnp and sheet manufacturers to make properly fitting sheets, if it is a life and death issue? I don't understand why it's all on us.
crazydaycarelady 12:07 PM 07-29-2014
Heidi my pnps mattresses all bunch up too because of the tight sheets, which seems dangerous in itself since then there is gap at the ends.
Reply Up