Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Calling You Their Parents?
catinthebox 10:49 AM 10-30-2016
Ever since I been working here I had been called mom and dad, I am a male teacher . Just wondering if yalll have similar stories to tell.

Recently one of our newest child told me that she wishes I was her dad. I told her that her father is amazing person and she is lucky to have him.
Silly Songs 11:00 AM 10-30-2016
It's totally normal. Just remind them you are mr x or whatever they refer to you as. Keep it light and move on. It's just a habit, teachers get it all the time.
cassiesue 01:27 PM 10-30-2016
Mine call me Nonnie, as that is what my 5-year-old adopted son (bio grandchild) calls me. They call my husband Papa.

Thus far I have only had 1 parent complain. but she eventually got over it and refers to me as Nonnie now as well.

I agree it is normal.
e.j. 02:31 PM 10-30-2016
Every kid I've ever watched has slipped up at least once or twice and called me either Mom or Dad. I usually respond to them using my son or daughter's name since if I'm "Mom"or "Dad", they must be one of my own kids, right?! I will also ask jokingly, "Dad?! Do I look like Dad to you??!" They think it's hilarious and will sometimes call me Mom or Dad on purpose just to see what my reaction will be.

I have been told by a few that they wish I were their mother and I just tell them, "Aw! That's sweet. I love you, too, and Mom loves you even more! You're lucky to be so loved!"
AmyKidsCo 03:30 PM 10-30-2016
Oh yeah, I get called Mom and Mommy all morning, and the moms tell me that they get called Miss Amy at night. They usually aren't upset by it.

During the day I'm called Miss Amy and Grandma equally by all the kids. It's all good.
DaveA 03:56 AM 10-31-2016
Like others said- it's pretty common. I get called dad (or mom) frequently. A couple of DCDs have told me they've been called "Mr. Dave" by DCK a few times.
Pestle 04:30 AM 10-31-2016
My 19mo dcb calls all males "daddy" but means "male parent of somebody, even if it's not of me."
Controlled Chaos 11:49 AM 10-31-2016
Yep, I get a few mommys and the other kids always giggle and say "she's not your mommy!" Sometimes my 2yo yells at them
Mom2Two 08:50 PM 10-31-2016
It seems like all one year olds do that. My ODS used to yell "dada" to every man he saw. It was kinda embarrassing actually.
bklsmum 05:17 AM 11-01-2016
Sometimes they do it but usually correct themselves. it is completely normal and not a big deal.
Reply Up