Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hurricane Policy?
Msdunny 03:58 AM 09-05-2019
Are there any NC, SC, FL, etc. here who would be willing to share what kind of hurricane policy you may have? I have told parents we will close if power is out for more than an hour. I do see several daycares in my area are closing at noon today (listed on the news stations). Schools are closed, and I know a couple of my parents are off, but are still bringing kids.

I just want to be prepared when they walk in the door. I have no desire to watch babies through a storm.
DaveA 05:12 AM 09-05-2019
I'm in IL so no hurricane policy, but to me this would fall under the provision in my contract that I refuse to do anything that I feel would be operating in an unsafe manner. Pick a time that gives you (and DCFs) plenty of leeway to get squared away, prepared, and safe. Then let DCPs know they have to be picked up by then.

Stay Safe!
Heidi 05:46 AM 09-05-2019
I would certainly add a clause going forward that if there is a state of emergency or major weather event, you will use your discretion about staying open. Also, something like "for safety reasons, if parent's are home due to weather, it is expected that children will remain at home"
Ariana 06:12 AM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I would certainly add a clause going forward that if there is a state of emergency or major weather event, you will use your discretion about staying open. Also, something like "for safety reasons, if parent's are home due to weather, it is expected that children will remain at home"
This! We have snowstorms here so it is similar. I close when schools close. If a parent HAS to go to work (essential services and they are single parent) then I do not mind accommodating. The year I did not close parents who were off brought their kids anyway. Who knew you had to have policies for common sense, but you do!!
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 09-05-2019
We have several counties under mandatory evacuation, if I end up on that list, I must close. Tuition does not change.

Other than that, I will stay open. The risk of flooding on this side of the mountain is pretty slim, though.

I operate without power about two weeks of the year, on average. It is pretty normal, so I plan for it.
Second Home 11:55 AM 09-05-2019
I have it in my policies that I close if they declare a state of emergency.
Cat Herder 11:59 AM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I have it in my policies that I close if they declare a state of emergency.
I considered that but like today, 21 counties are covered under it and we have not even had a drop of rain. The sun is shining and the wind is barely blowing. Two centers closed and I have had 6 new calls for care out of frustration.

In winter it is like our governor just declares them for traffic in the city that is prone to flooding. It has no relevance out rurally.
Msdunny 03:00 PM 09-05-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I considered that but like today, 21 counties are covered under it and we have not even had a drop of rain. The sun is shining and the wind is barely blowing. Two centers closed and I have had 6 new calls for care out of frustration.

In winter it is like our governor just declares them for traffic in the city that is prone to flooding. It has no relevance out rurally.
That’s my problem. Hurricanes are so hit-or-miss that I hate to close down and then have no weather incidents. A tiny wobble one way or the other can make the difference between a heavy rain shower or total devastation. And this system has turned out more tornados than usual. But I agree that parents who are home anyway should keep their kids home when there is a chance of dicey weather. There’s no good answer to this when parents don’t use common sense.
Meeko 11:55 AM 09-08-2019
I have in my policies that we close if we have no power/water etc. I also include a part that says we have the right to close if we feel the weather/situation is not a safe one.

Without it....I have parents who would brave any kind of storm/tornado/hurricane/nuclear strike/apocolypse in order to not have to spend any time with their children
Tags:hurricane, hurricane policy, policy - hurricane, policy - power outage
Reply Up