Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Is this legal? - Daycare Parking Lot Seems Dangerous

Hello, I know of a licensed child day care center, in Lackawanna County PA. that has a parking lot that is blacktopped as well as the sidewalk ditch and road. there are no painted lines for parking spaces, sidewalks, entrance and exit, and handicap parking spaces. there is nothing painted whatsoever in this lot. it is very difficult to determine where the sidewalk, ditch and parking lot are, it all blends in. People park where they want to. This seems dangerous. Is this legal? if not legal, Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 AM
seashell's Avatar
seashell seashell is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 179
Default

As long as the children are supervised by their parents, I dont see a problem. I doubt that licensing would have a rule about the parking area, as it is not considered part of the usable daycare space. Parking would fall under the direction of the town planning and zoning agency. I am sure they would have addressed the parking lot when giving approval for the facility if they thought it was a problem.

It is the parents responsibility to watch their child in a parking lot, daycare or otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-14-2009, 11:42 AM
jen jen is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Default

Do your children attend daycare there??? If not, leave it to the parents whose children do attend to make the call as to what is safe and what is not. If your children attend, and you don't like the parking lot, find another daycare.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
Do your children attend daycare there??? If not, leave it to the parents whose children do attend to make the call as to what is safe and what is not. If your children attend, and you don't like the parking lot, find another daycare.
I totally agree!! I have also decided not to respond to posts that are listed as guests. I think these, along with unregistered, are just posts to get us wound up.

Besides this one sounds like a spam
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2009, 01:50 PM
GretasLittleFriends's Avatar
GretasLittleFriends GretasLittleFriends is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 936
Default

I don't think he sounds like spam, though I do think he reminds me of the people who reported that lady who watches the kids before they get on the bus. Essentially too much time and not enough other things to worry about.

I'm sure the parking lot is perfectly legal. If the parents of the children in that care center had an issue with it they could take it up with the center or leave. I'm sure if the city/county had an issue with it they would not have allowed the center to open for business.
__________________
Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,802
Default Is and Unrgistered Post a Serious Post?

to Former Teacher: This person (John) also wrote to us via email. We scrutinize every post and we get spammed a lot from around the world. It's a fulltime job! We also see some great questions from some that just will not register. We of course will allow them if they are deemed relative and appropriate.

To those of you that have not registered.......register! It makes our job a lot easier and also allows for ummoderated conversation. Once an approved Daycare.com member, you can pretty much post as you please. Those that are not registered will have to wait for an admin or mod to approve and review. So take the time to register and join in the conversation!

Last edited by Michael; 10-14-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
to Former Teacher: This person (John) also wrote to us via email. We scrutinize every post and we get spammed a lot from around the world. It's a fulltime job! We also see some great questions from some that just will not register. We of course will allow them if they are deemed relative and appropriate.

To those of you that have not registered.......register! It makes our job a lot easier and also allows for ummoderated conversation. Once an approved Daycare.com member, you can pretty much post as you please. Those that are not registered will have to wait for an admin or mod to approve and review. So take the time to register and join in the conversation!

Please allow me to rephrase my post. I don't think it was spam like you and I know spam. I think it was just one of those odd posts that doesn't quite make sense. Thus, wanting to start a posting war.

It's hard to put in words what I am really thinking haha. But hey at least Michael is rooting for us to get these people registered! Yippy!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Chickenhauler's Avatar
Chickenhauler Chickenhauler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Hello, I know of a licensed child day care center, in Lackawanna County PA. that has a parking lot that is blacktopped as well as the sidewalk ditch and road. there are no painted lines for parking spaces, sidewalks, entrance and exit, and handicap parking spaces. there is nothing painted whatsoever in this lot. it is very difficult to determine where the sidewalk, ditch and parking lot are, it all blends in. People park where they want to. This seems dangerous. Is this legal? if not legal, Thanks alot.
It's only dangerous for those people who are like cattle, and need "fences" to constantly guide them through their day, lest they wander into the road.

A little common sense (which is not that common any more) should get a person through this business's parking lot without getting seriously injured.


As for the handicapped thing, they may have to have a spot designated and marked, but I know there is a certain threshold of "business" definition before this applies.
__________________
Spouse of a daycare provider....which I guess makes me one too!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
legal, parent - its a verb, parking, parking lot, safety of children, safety rules

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Licensed DayCare vs. Private DayCare marylmr Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 60 02-24-2020 01:20 PM
How Long Should 4 Year Old Nap Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 314 02-13-2018 05:48 AM
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 107 03-11-2015 03:09 PM
Death in CA Home Daycare -Please Help Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 06-07-2011 01:04 PM
22 month old hysterical about going to daycare A Mama Parents and Guardians Forum 9 06-02-2009 10:19 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming