Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Music?
newtodaycare22 11:10 AM 10-03-2011
I'm wondering if you guys use nap music and, if so, what type? I've always put on the classical channel on the TV, which soothes most of them to sleep eventually. Over the weekend I said I was going to take a nap and hubby thought he was funny putting on nap music. I got excited though and said, "What channel is that???" hahaha It was 'soundscapes' and quite soothing.

Today, I put it on and the kids were OUT. Just curious if you guys do natural sounds like that or classical.
littlemommy 11:14 AM 10-03-2011
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Soundscapes channel! I was actually just telling DH that even when they are all fidgety it makes them sleep within 5 minutes.
SunflowerMama 11:14 AM 10-03-2011
I either do natural sounds (I have a continuous sound machine) or a baby lullaby cd. They have to have the noise at naptime and all are great sleepers while here .
cheerfuldom 11:14 AM 10-03-2011
I love white noise for the younger kids, the older have lullabies, classic music with waves or nature noise in the background.
tbutler 11:18 AM 10-03-2011
I purchased cd's from dollar tree that are a mix of classical and nature sounds. Loved paying only $1! I put the cd on "repeat all" until I wake them up.
blueclouds29 12:37 PM 10-03-2011
i don't use music cause my kids sleep in 3 different rooms and i'm not buying a CD player for each room. One room i have a fan but the other 2 rooms have nothing and they sleep great
AmandasFCC 01:29 PM 10-03-2011
When I do music, I do something like soft, soothing piano with raindrops in the background, or harp with ocean sounds, or wahtever. Sounds like the "soundscapes" you're describing

But right now all my nap cd's are scratched and unplayable so no nap music at all
childcarebytori 05:33 PM 10-03-2011
I use white noise for the duration of my daycare naptime. I recorded a loud, long version of white noise off of YouTube and I made a CD that has 24 tracks of the "white noise" that repeats over and over and over. It's amazing!

With the exception of new friends who aren't used to our routine, I've had no naptime troubles. Kids who hum themselves to sleep = drowned out by the white noise. Kids who sing themselves to sleep = drowned by the white noise. Kids who talk in their sleep = drowned out by the white noise Kids who......... you get the picture
Christian Mother 05:40 PM 10-03-2011
Most of the time I just plan Christian music like Shawn McDonald, Chris Tomlin, Brandon Heath...I also have a couple of mixed Christian music CD's that play off my computer. I also like nature sounds or Woodwind flute music. I went to Sedona for my anniversary and brought back a cd from there that the kids listened to and they where out in no time. But they've all been really good nappers.
MissAnn 05:32 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Soundscapes channel! I was actually just telling DH that even when they are all fidgety it makes them sleep within 5 minutes.
Iwas going to say something about the soundscapes channel......I recently started putting this on during nap.....and then I had kids peeing in their beds that usually don't! It makes me wonder if it's all the running water sounds! lol
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 10-04-2011
I don't use music a lot but when I do I use natural sounds like rain, ocean waves and tropical forest type CD's.

We use audio books each day at nap. The kids lay so still while listening to the story. They seem to look forward to it every day.
littlemommy 06:09 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Iwas going to say something about the soundscapes channel......I recently started putting this on during nap.....and then I had kids peeing in their beds that usually don't! It makes me wonder if it's all the running water sounds! lol
Haha! Not so funny for you but it gave me a good morning chuckle! We play this channel at night in our bedroom too. I'll have to take note if there are water songs playing when I get up 5 times a night for a (pregnant) bathroom run!
Little planet 07:01 AM 10-04-2011
My kids always sleep with baby lullaby music. They love it!
SilverSabre25 07:13 AM 10-04-2011
White noise--a CD of radio static for 80 minutes. They all sleep great. I have contemplated getting a second CD player to play some soft music/soundscape type thing in addition to the white noise, but that just seems complicated to me, so we stick to white noise.

I did have one parent question it...they had never heard of white noise and wanted me to play classical music instead. I explained the reasons for it and that it's a well-known and supported tactic for improving sleep, and they still wanted me to change for everyone. I politely declined.
Country Kids 07:27 AM 10-04-2011
I just started playing a cd with sleep relaxing music. I tried white noise for a couple days but it drove me crazy!!!! I stay in the room till everyone is asleep. Also, all the kids kept saying was put the music on-they knew that it was coming from the radio and it should be playing music-. Since I added black out curtains and the cd, they are asleep in a matter of minutes!!!
kimsdaycare 06:19 PM 10-04-2011
I use a cd that is a mixture of natures sounds and classical music. I keep it playing a bit on the loud side to drown out the "chatty" ones. The one I have goes from very low songs to rather loud ones off and on throughout (kind of annoying and the opposite of relaxing to me lol). BUT, the kids are so used to this quiet/loud pattern that it now takes a whole lot to startle them awake. They sleep like a dream with this thing and I'd be lost without it.

I've used the same CD for years and the kids actually get upset with me if I attempt to put something else in. I think they are strangely addicted to it
Unregistered 05:57 AM 10-05-2011
Mine nap to the country music channel on the tv........they sleep like little logs
GrannyJ 09:29 AM 10-05-2011
I use direct tv's beautiful instrumental channel. I tried classical but the volume goes up and down too much. I have a sound machine I use in the baby room.
beachgrl 11:00 AM 10-05-2011
I have a variety of classical, nature sounds and lullabye type music cd's as well as some low key stuff like norah jones that I just love to play for myself and them...one thing though, I had been using the soundscapes channel since I opened because we lost the plug to my cd player and the batteries lasted no time since we left the cd player on one day and they love to do the Emergency Alert right in the middle of naptime on there, not a weekly test as it says but have found they do it DAILY!!!

What in the world, I am playing the music mostly for the toddler who is a light sleeper so I can get schoolwork and such done nearby and all of a sudden in our nice calm music comes that loud awful noise? sheesh...it's crazy!

I am so glad I found the cord to my cd player this weekend so I dont have to dash for the remote to mute the tv when it does that, too bad too because I do like that channel but I have plenty of music so oh well lol
karen 11:03 AM 10-05-2011
My favorite nap time cd is RETURN TO POOH CORNER by KENNY LOGGINS!
I have used this cd for ever. Since I heard it back in 93....When I first started in this field.
snbauser 11:08 AM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by tbutler:
I purchased cd's from dollar tree that are a mix of classical and nature sounds. Loved paying only $1! I put the cd on "repeat all" until I wake them up.
Exactly the same here. I have a bunch of them from the $1 store.
Tags:music - age appropriate, nap - music, nap time ideas, naptime - music
Reply Up