Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Can Only Be Pushed So Far
Sunchimes 09:04 AM 01-03-2012
I run a pretty informal set up, although I did spend the holidays making a handbook and contract which will formalize some things-mostly money.

One of my moms pays every 2 weeks-one week behind and one week ahead. We fell into that when she changed jobs and it's worked fine. The week before Christmas (should have been my first clue), she brought just over half of my money and said that the company had shorted everyone's checks and it would be the day after Christmas before they could correct it. I bought the story-it's not the first rotten thing they've done to employees. I actually gave her back the few dollars over one weeks pay because she's a single parent and she is struggling. I know. I know.

Here comes the Tuesday after Christmas(she pays on Tuesday). Not one single word about my missing pay. I had to ask about my money and she said that they told them it would be another week-until regular pay day-before it was corrected because "they couldn't submit two payrolls in one pay period". Ok, red lights are starting to flash a bit. What national company would mess up payroll and make you wait 2 weeks for correction, especially at Christmas? I haven't worked for anyone but myself or my husband in over 30 years, so maybe the answer is "all of them".

Originally, since the baby was off on daddy visitation that week and I didn't even see her, plus I closed two days, I was only going to charge her half of the remaining 3 days.

I've had a change of heart. I'm still not charging her for my time off, but I'm taking the rest of it. I won't say she told a story, but it sounds funny to me. And she was evasive the next week.

If she made the whole thing up because she needed the money for Christmas, she should have told me. I would have paid out her layway-heck, I'm crazy about my kids. I would have bought them Christmas. I can handle money mis-management, lateness, almost anything except lying.

So, it's a teeny backbone, but at least I know it's in there somewhere. ;-)
Ariana 09:28 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by :
I actually gave her back the few dollars over one weeks pay because she's a single parent and she is struggling. I know. I know.
Yeah you already know so I won't really repeat it!! Some parents see this as a golden opportunity to take advantage and it looks like she's no different.
cheerfuldom 09:29 AM 01-03-2012
I would NEVER work without a contract. Anytime I hear of a "casual" arrangement for daycare, the provider is always the one getting the worst end of the bargain.
Sunchimes 09:39 AM 01-03-2012
Thanks to you guys, I figured that out. I honestly had no idea you could ask for money for the days you didn't have the child. It was a revelation!

You know, it's a small town, and I just didn't expect it. And maybe it was the truth, I don't know.

She isn't my worst one either. I suspect I'll lose my first kid when her mom sees that I'm stopping drop in care. I'm on call 6 days a week for her but she pays by the day--usually one or two days a week. That has to stop immediately. I made $20 since Dec 19 from that parent--and I had to ask for it. I defy her to find anyone else in town that will provide Grade A #1 care for that baby and charge her less than I will be charging. I love the little girl like my own grandchild, but she's been gone for over 2 weeks and I see now that I'll miss her, but I'll adjust. Another revelation.
AmyLeigh 10:04 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:

What national company would mess up payroll and make you wait 2 weeks for correction, especially at Christmas? I haven't worked for anyone but myself or my husband in over 30 years, so maybe the answer is "all of them".
You'd be surprised how often something like this happens. My dh and his co-workers were shorted Labor Day and still haven't gotten their money back. It's a national company, too.
When it is a big company, any change to payroll is a huge PITA. Often, if payroll is contracted out, the company has to pay a fee to make any changes.

So there may be an element of truth her story.
Sunchimes 10:08 AM 01-03-2012
Oh, that's good to know. I hate not believing someone. I think it was when she didn't mention paying me the next week that threw me off balance. Thanks for letting me know.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 01-03-2012
Thanks to you guys, I figured that out. I honestly had no idea you could ask for money for the days you didn't have the child. It was a revelation!

You know, it's a small town, and I just didn't expect it. And maybe it was the truth, I don't know.

She isn't my worst one either. I suspect I'll lose my first kid when her mom sees that I'm stopping drop in care. I'm on call 6 days a week for her but she pays by the day--usually one or two days a week. That has to stop immediately. I made $20 since Dec 19 from that parent--and I had to ask for it. I defy her to find anyone else in town that will provide Grade A #1 care for that baby and charge her less than I will be charging. I love the little girl like my own grandchild, but she's been gone for over 2 weeks and I see now that I'll miss her, but I'll adjust. Another revelation.
Oh, that's good to know. I hate not believing someone. I think it was when she didn't mention paying me the next week that threw me off balance. Thanks for letting me know.
I agree with what you said earlier though about being upset about the fact that she isn't even mentioning it or may be lying. If her company did short her, I get it and I would feel bad too but my lights don't stay on because I feel bad. SHE took a job with a company that isn't great about paying her but YOU DID NOT! You took a job where you expect to be paid in full and on time.

I live in an area where logging and construction is where 80% of the male population works so I always heard "but it is a rain day so dad didn't have to work so I shouldn't have to pay...." But my response was always, "But I did not take a job that is dependant on the weather, YOU did so..."

I also bill parents by the week and the tuition is the same 52 weeks a year regardless of attendance. FOr your one mom who uses you as drop in, I would bill her for the whole week if she wants access to the whole week...kwim? (I couldn't care less if she uses the whole week or not.) Kind of like bread, you might only want one piece but have to buy the whole loaf to get it.

If she only wants to be drop in, then she pays almost double the daily rate and would have to call each and every time she needed space to see if I have the room for her.

This job is most definitely a learning process and even when you have done it for years, you will get a family that comes along and "helps" you learn something new.....
Tags:backbone
Reply Up