Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 AM
kelli050

Talking Newbie...

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and have just been lurking around for a day or two - I wanted to stop in and introduce myself
My name is Kelli and I was recently laid off from my job - I'm very exicted to turn this bad news into a great opportunity to pursue my dream of staying home with my children (I have a 2 yr old and 4 yr old) and operating a small in-home family childcare. I'm am just starting the process of self-certification (I think this is comparable to 'registration' in other states) to gain more knowledge about the daycare business and just operating my own business in general. I then hope to continue on to recieve licensing.

I'm just jotting some notes now of random questions I have which I will post later - I just kind of want to splurge everything out in one post lol I am currently working on my contract - I hope to have a rough draft finished up this week, is there anyone out there willing to let me send it to them for some feedback once I have the first draft done? I would really appreciate it. you can pm me and I can either send it through PM or if you want to provide your email in the message I can send it that way as well

I'm happy to be here and look forward to talking with all of you. Have a great day!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Welcome From Kansas! You can PM me your contract when you have it ready, I would be happy to look over it if you would like.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Daycare Member

Welcome from Michigan!!

We'd be happy to look at your contract for you as well if you want a 2nd opinion.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

You can pm me as well on your contract. I would be happy to look at it, and add things, etc.
GOod luck and welcome!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM
kelli050

Thanks ladies! I'll take as many opinions and suggestions as I can get! I think I got most of the contract itself together, but I'm still going through other forms (activity forms, photograph, etc.) to add to it. I'll hopefully be pm'ing my rough draft to those that offer opinions tomorrow Thanks so much for your help - I'm so lucky to have found this forum in my beginning stages!
Old 02-17-2010, 07:24 PM
kelli050

quick question...I am 'open', but I do not have any children in my care yet - I haven't gotten my first client yet. For tax purposes am I able to claim time spent on my contract, researching, advertising, emailing potential clients and meeting with potential clients? Or am I only able to list my "open" date as when I receive my first client and start counting time from then?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

If I read correctly, as soon as you are "open" or ready for business you can start claiming expenses. You dont have to have a client yet.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 PM
kelli050

Exactly what I was wondering - thank you! Of course I already have a lot of time invested advertising, emailing/talking with potential clients, putting together my contract and other forms, shopping for supplies and so on. I was just hoping that I would be able to claim those expenses and the time! Thanks for the help!

Tags
claiming expenses, contract, taxes