Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just In Case Anyone Was Wondering...
Leanna 08:50 AM 06-06-2014
Two cubic yards of sand is A LOT OF SAND!

Two years ago my friends S.O. built me a 8 ft. by 8 ft. sandbox and I have bought countless 50lb bags of sand for it only to have it....disappear (seriously!).

This year I was determined to find someplace to do a bulk delivery. Well I had a little trouble converting feet to cubic yards and may have bought a little too much
BumbleBee 08:53 AM 06-06-2014
Rofl....I did something similar with mulch.....
itlw8 09:08 AM 06-06-2014
When my sandbox runs low dh goes and gets 1 just 1 scoop of sand in his pickup// This year he got 2 scoop and the bed of the truck was not full BUT the sand would not all fit . It was great fun until the big hill all ran out though LOL. Pretty sure that is FAR less than what you have. I think 2 cubic yard is what we get to top dress the gravel drive with new gravel
Luna 09:08 AM 06-06-2014
We did it with topsoil.
You could build your own beach right in your backyard!
Blackcat31 09:11 AM 06-06-2014
LOL! We are at this very moment watching our delivery guy dumping the first load of sand in our new sandbox.

He sheepishly admitted it would take more than one load.

I had tried to tell him I KNEW how much I needed to fill the new sandbox but he estimated WAY less... he just now left with a quick "Guess I'll be right back.."
midaycare 10:18 AM 06-06-2014
Cool sandbox BC!
SilverSabre25 10:22 AM 06-06-2014
Yep. We are going to (eventually, hopefully this summer but there are other things to pay for first) build a 6x6x (8 inches) sandbox. Will take a ton of sand. literally. the sand is the most expensive part!
sally 10:30 AM 06-06-2014
We just took our sandbox out. We had too many kids trying to throw sand in other kids eyes. Also pouring sand out of the sandbox. My husband built a water table instead and the kids love it way more than the sandbox.
SignMeUp 10:45 AM 06-06-2014
When we redid the playground, we replaced all of the sand that had been there. Over the years, we'd had some trucked in to our driveway (the kids worked on bringing that pile to the playground for a couple of weeks, in kid-sized wheelbarrows, buckets, etc.) and added more each year after a wintertime "Beach Day" inside that included an indoor sandbox

So when it was removed, it was taken to be under-fill for someone's yard that was having all of their yard removed due to some environmental hazard. They weighed it -- 28 tons

I did not refill with nearly that much. And I'm a lot more careful to re-use our Beach Day sand again the next year. I don't ever want to pay for that removal again
Angelsj 10:55 AM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL! We are at this very moment watching our delivery guy dumping the first load of sand in our new sandbox.

He sheepishly admitted it would take more than one load.

I had tried to tell him I KNEW how much I needed to fill the new sandbox but he estimated WAY less... he just now left with a quick "Guess I'll be right back.."
My dd is standing behind me as I look at your pic, asking, "Is this our house?"
We have that same little house sitting next to our sandbox.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yep. We are going to (eventually, hopefully this summer but there are other things to pay for first) build a 6x6 (8 inches) sandbox.

Will take a ton of sand. literally. the sand is the most expensive part!
Ours is 10x10 (1 foot deep).

It took 12,000 lbs to fill it within 2 inches of the top.

The washed sand is free here if you haul it yourself.

We hired someone to do it and it was less than $150 total.
Blackcat31 10:58 AM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
My dd is standing behind me as I look at your pic, asking, "Is this our house?"
We have that same little house sitting next to our sandbox.
Well, why isn't he here mowing the grass then?

Sheesh!
Annalee 11:00 AM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by sally:
We just took our sandbox out. We had too many kids trying to throw sand in other kids eyes. Also pouring sand out of the sandbox. My husband built a water table instead and the kids love it way more than the sandbox.
We have pea gravel all over our playground for pouring/dumping/etc.....plus water tables. We have birdseed with sifting/pouring/accessories inside. I, personally, am NOT a fan of sand! QRIS allows us to use anything that will sift and birdseed counts for that.....used to rice would count but they eliminated food for play.
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 06-06-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:

Two years ago my friends S.O. built me a 8 ft. by 8 ft. sandbox and I have bought countless 50lb bags of sand for it only to have it....disappear (seriously!).

This year I was determined to find someplace to do a bulk delivery. Well I had a little trouble converting feet to cubic yards and may have bought a little too much

A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. In case anyone needs to know this later.

So in your case, 2 cubic yards of sand would have been 54 cubic feet.

A 10 ft x 10 ft sandbox that is 1 foot deep is 100 cubic feet.

An 6 ft x 6 ft (1 foot deep) is 36 cubic feet.
Leanna 08:13 PM 06-06-2014
A cubic yard is 27 cubic feet. In case anyone needs to know this later.

So in your case, 2 cubic yards of sand would have been 54 cubic feet.

A 10 ft x 10 ft sandbox that is 1 foot deep is 100 cubic feet.

An 6 ft x 6 ft (1 foot deep) is 36 cubic feet.

Thanks Blackcat! I Kept saying to myself, "This is when I need all that math they taught in school!"
BumbleBee 08:42 PM 06-06-2014

How deep is it? By my calculations, 2 cubic yards is about right. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong...

8 x 8 = 64

64/27 = 2.37

unless it's supposed to be 27/64 = 0.42

Good thing I'm just an early childhood educator. Or maybe they're using common core math.
Angelsj 07:57 AM 06-07-2014
Well, why isn't he here mowing the grass then?

Sheesh!
That was my daughter, but I will ask my son. Don't hold your breath though. I have been trying to get him to weed whack the back yard for three days...gonna have to do it myself.
Blackcat31 04:40 PM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
How deep is it? By my calculations, 2 cubic yards is about right. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong...

8 x 8 = 64

64/27 = 2.37

unless it's supposed to be 27/64 = 0.42

Good thing I'm just an early childhood educator. Or maybe they're using common core math.
Your math is correct IF the OP's 8 ft x 8 ft sandbox is 1 foot deep.

If OP's sandbox was not 1 foot deep then the 2 cubic yards would have been too much.

My math (well DH's math ) was based on a sandbox being 1 foot deep
Leanna 05:13 PM 06-07-2014
Your math is correct IF the OP's 8 ft x 8 ft sandbox is 1 foot deep.

If OP's sandbox was not 1 foot deep then the 2 cubic yards would have been too much.

My math (well DH's math ) was based on a sandbox being 1 foot deep
It is indeed one foot deep...and filled to the absolute brim!!! (and very mountain-ous in the middle lol)
BumbleBee 07:18 PM 06-07-2014
It is indeed one foot deep...and filled to the absolute brim!!! (and very mountain-ous in the middle lol)
Lol, well it should take a loooooong time for that to disappear!
Tags:sand box, sandboxes
Reply Up