Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Waiting List Setup

If you would have told me last week that I would need to know this, I wouldn't have believed you, but:

How do you establish a waiting list?

My spots are all filled now, and I have received a call already looking for daycare. I haven't contacted them back yet, because I'm not sure how to set up a waiting list? Wouldn't they already have care set up by the time I have a spot available? And I'm pretty sure that two of my enrollments aren't going to go anywhere for a long time, which only leaves one spot that could potentially open up in the semi-near future...Does it even make sense to set up a waiting list in that case?
Old 12-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

You never know - parents can get laid off, they can move ... Things happen all the time!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntTami View Post
If you would have told me last week that I would need to know this, I wouldn't have believed you, but:

How do you establish a waiting list?

My spots are all filled now, and I have received a call already looking for daycare. I haven't contacted them back yet, because I'm not sure how to set up a waiting list? Wouldn't they already have care set up by the time I have a spot available? And I'm pretty sure that two of my enrollments aren't going to go anywhere for a long time, which only leaves one spot that could potentially open up in the semi-near future...Does it even make sense to set up a waiting list in that case?
Yes yes. I keep their names alphabetically and then under that info about heir kids, what hours they need and phone numbers.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Others on here can give better advice about how to set a waiting list up - they typically don't work too well for me, although I do take info anyway. But yes, people have usually found care by the time I have called.

I had a dcm have to pull dcg out because of allergies. Actually, I termed because dcg was getting so sick at my home she couldn't breathe. I have had to term two others since starting - one was a very good (now ex) friend of a super hyper dcb who was hurting others, and the other one was yesterday for a dose and drop.

You really never know when you will have an opening.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I have a wait list and here is how I do it.

parent calls, I take down all information as usual... most important the best number to reach them at and email address

age of child, hours needed, why care is needed, if they are already attending child care, why the switch, etc.....

I do tell them I am full at this time but would love to have them come for an open house, which I do once a month now (thanks ladies)

I conduct the open house and give them a small questionnaire to fill out/

I have a 30 day notice required and once I get it, I email all of the people on the list. The first to get back to me then comes to attend a one on one meeting. If I think we are still a match and so do they, we move forward.

I have weeded out a lot of NO THANK you kind of people at the open house. I just did one last week I had 8 people show up and of the 8 I only really liked 3.....So I was certain to make note of that.

I don't do a wait list and then call down the list anymore like I used to, it was a huge waste of time...

AND when you have a good program, which I am sure you will, people will wait to come and they will even leave their current situation to come to your house....

SOunds like things are going great for you....Keep up the good work.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Sorry to hijack the post but I have a question that fits in... I haphazardly started a waiting list but everyone on it only wanted 1 or 2 days a week. Now I have an opening for full time and i really don't want to enroll these people on my list for only one day a week just to term them once a full timer comes around. I started advertising for full time and a family on my list contacted me after seeing my add wondering if they're still on the list...did I go about this the wrong way? What would you say to them?
Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

My wait list requires:

1. An in-person interview, just as if there was a current opening.
2. $100 non-refundable deposit

If an opening comes up, they can take it or remain on the list.

$100 keeps the family on the list until they either decline, or one year mark passes.

Current families having another child takes precedence over a child on the wait list.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Family ChildCare Provider

Interesting variety of ideas above!

I do not keep a wait list. It's often two years or more before I have an opening, so it isn't practical for me.
I do tell people that if they remain interested in my child care, that they should keep in touch with me.
One dad started calling me pre-birth, then sent me postcards and pictures of his little one. I had a space two and a half years later, which he took. Then, over the next twelve years or so, I ended up with a dozen or more of his neighbors, friends and relatives.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by altandra View Post
Sorry to hijack the post but I have a question that fits in... I haphazardly started a waiting list but everyone on it only wanted 1 or 2 days a week. Now I have an opening for full time and i really don't want to enroll these people on my list for only one day a week just to term them once a full timer comes around. I started advertising for full time and a family on my list contacted me after seeing my add wondering if they're still on the list...did I go about this the wrong way? What would you say to them?
You didn't do anything wrong. I would tell them you have X amount of full time spots and X amount of part time spots you must stick to so that you can run your program. Currently you only have a full time spot available. Should they wish to go full time then have them come for a interview.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:08 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
You didn't do anything wrong. I would tell them you have X amount of full time spots and X amount of part time spots you must stick to so that you can run your program. Currently you only have a full time spot available. Should they wish to go full time then have them come for a interview.
Perfect! Thank you. I was definitely over thinking it!
Old 12-13-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altandra View Post
Here's my waitlist page from my website. If you scroll past the form, there is a FAQ section that explains this dilemma to prospective clients.

http://www.christaskids.com/wait-list

Number #5 addresses your issue.

Just because a part time family has been on the wait list longer doesn't mean they automatically get the first available space. Especially if their needs don't match the space available. kwim?

Last edited by Blackcat31; 12-13-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Here's my waitlist page from my website. If you scroll past the form, there is a FAQ section that explains this dilemma to prospective clients.

http://www.christaskids.com/wait-list

Number #5 addresses your issue.

Just because a part time family has been on the wait list longer doesn't mean they automatically get the first available space. Especially if their needs don't match the space available. kwim?
Very smart BC!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:42 AM
mac n peas

We have a wait list, basically just an excel sheet with the date we were contacted, age and gender of the baby, parents names and best contact info, and then a little section where I put how they heard about us or other pertinent info. We have yet to use it, though, and it's almost entirely full of children under 1 year old, which is not that useful.

Tags
waiting list